A Newbie's Journey

yatsunil

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone! It's been almost two months since I found this forum and I just wanted to share a definite trend I've noticed in my preferences for lights.

First, I started out looking for the an affordable (think DX or KD) light that would blast out the most lumens on 1xRCR123.

Next I researched batteries 'cos I read that not all RCR123s or 16340s were the same.

I then found out about terms like "flood" and "throw" so I decided to look for something which had both - ie. zoomable lights.

Suddenly I realised that max lumens was not the be all and end all. I found that having a low low was very desirable too.

My next area of light education was regarding the switch. Clicky vs twisty etc. Initially I was fine with clickies and didn't bother about forward or reverse. I gradually began to love twisties for their silent operation although it took 2 hands to turn them on. Finally I discovered electronic switches eg. Zebralights which could be operated one-handed and were relatively silent.

Now I'm beginning to be more discerning about the various modes/UI available. Not really keen on strobe or SOS. Prefer a light to start on low.
Decided that programmable interfaces are not for me YET!

Well, this is where I am after 2 months and it's been an enjoyable and educational journey. I wonder where the next 2 months will take me!:D

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Flashlights are just like any other tool, there's the cheap crap, and then there's the serious tools.

All flashaholics wish that in the beginning, they would have bought one or two very good lights rather than all the cheap lights..

A 6 D Cell Maglite averages only ~60 lumens over the life span of its batteries - even the really inexpensive flashaholic lights will blow this away. Most flashaholics spend the majority of their (non-work related) flashlight use time in low or medium modes anyway.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
First, I started out looking for the an affordable (think DX or KD) light that would blast out the most lumens on 1xRCR123.

Next I researched batteries 'cos I read that not all RCR123s or 16340s were the same.

I then found out about terms like "flood" and "throw" so I decided to look for something which had both - ie. zoomable lights.

Suddenly I realised that max lumens was not the be all and end all. I found that having a low low was very desirable too.

My next area of light education was regarding the switch. Clicky vs twisty etc. Initially I was fine with clickies and didn't bother about forward or reverse. I gradually began to love twisties for their silent operation although it took 2 hands to turn them on. Finally I discovered electronic switches eg. Zebralights which could be operated one-handed and were relatively silent.

Now I'm beginning to be more discerning about the various modes/UI available. Not really keen on strobe or SOS. Prefer a light to start on low.
Decided that programmable interfaces are not for me YET!
I don't consider myself a "newbie" even though I've only been a member here for five months. Why not? Because I've been using torches since the sixties and I just regard this latest led stuff as just another step in the progression that's been going on a long time. In fact, the two biggest revolutions for me in torches were the hand held rechargeable halogen spotlight whihc gave me huge light readily available and cheaply run and the maglite 2xaa which gave me a pocket light that did not break in my pocket as did the eveready penlight of old.

The leds for me have just been an improvement on that 2xaa maglite format torch that allow me to have a lot more ligth in the same sized package with longer run times between battery changes.

Since coming to leds I did a lot of the thigns you did to, though not necessarily with the same result or in the same order.

I had a twist switch torch, my maglite 2xaa and always wished it had a button switch instead so the modern torches were good in that regard. I still do carry a twist switch ITP AAA on my keyring but it's for emergency use if my main torch breaks down, that's the only situation I'd ever entertain a twist switch. Tried a 123 twist torch. Hated everything about it.

I tried flood to spot by buying a Led Lenser P7. Still the best performing torch of all I own but has no clip and is a bit big for my pocket so it's no longer my edc. I still do prefer the flood to spot system though. It's the best of all for me.

I have tried and still own a dozen or more torches with four and five brightness modes and a bunch of blinking modes but find them cumbersome to operate so I find myself leaving them in the drawer.

I drifted into a few basic programmable level torches (Quark turbos) but they only give me two modes and after a frew weeks of use I discovered I really want three so I drifted back away from them and have now moved to a torch that has all the blinkers hidden and three brightness levels on demand. In choosing a P20C2 I now have a torch that has three completely different actions to select those levels, tight head, loose head and twist untwist so there's no mistake about what level I'm selecting, it's always completely predictable unlike those half press progressive selection arrangements in so many other multilevel boppers.

I think I've finally realised what I knew from experiecne of decades of torch use and that's that simplicity is king or at least sits on a throne next to its queen - amount of light on the target (which can be achieved by power or by focus).

I've moved around the board a bit but am now pretty settled. Nothing on the horizon in the next few months to set my world on fire.

Last edited:

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder where the next 2 months will take me!:D

It seems that about every two months or so there is some sort of development of great interest to CPF'ers - new led's, optics, batteries, etc. Just when you think you've got a handle on what's out there... BONK! ... and you'll need another light, more batteries, a new charger, or something. And then you'll want to find some beautiful brass body to house that great new technology. It really is never-ending and keeps you in suspense, waiting for the next moonless night.

If Ponce de Leon were alive today, he'd be a member of CPF and believe he'd found another Fountain of Youth.

yatsunil

Newly Enlightened
Did you have any questions on any specific light?

oh, and :welcome:

Does it always have to be a question about a specific light? I'm just thinking aloud about where this current facination with flashlights will take me.:thinking:

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
Does it always have to be a question about a specific light? I'm just thinking aloud about where this current facination with flashlights will take me.:thinking:

I think for starters, you should be involved with lithium ion battery powered flashlights. There generally the way to go.
You should look for a light that takes a 18650 battery.

This was my first real light that converted me into a flashlaholic

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16240

Still have it, all banged up with battle scars. I don't have a single con with that light.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think for starters, you should be involved with lithium ion battery powered flashlights. There generally the way to go.
You should look for a light that takes a 18650 battery.

I agree Lithium Ion seems like the next logical step look at AA lights that is also safe to use 14500 I see you like Zebralight look at the SC50 and also 18650 compatible light's like the Eagletac T20C2 MKII. There is plenty of others I just used those two as examples off the top of my head.

Be sure to read the thread regarding using Lithium battery's safely.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/235164

Last edited:

Rusty Joe

Newly Enlightened
It's been since 05 when the flashaholic bug first bit me. Actually, I was only a carrier. I came "down with it" in mid 06.

I find that in time I feel that the best light is the best compromise of features, though my extremist nature has me upgrading (or downgrading as the case may be) all the time. You will switch out favorites all the time and you'll always have your "inner circle" of lights as favs, but you'll never have just one you cherish above all--at least that is my experience.

Welcome.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Sounds like it is time for the programmable models. Tell that light who's boss. You want a low to come on first, you've got it.

Geoff

yatsunil

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like it is time for the programmable models. Tell that light who's boss. You want a low to come on first, you've got it.

Geoff

Yeah...I looked briefly at a Liteflux but found the programming chart a bit daunting :faint:. Maybe I'll have another look :thumbsup:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jetbeam Jet I Pro v3.0, 3 mode programmable, runs of any AA sized cell. Very easy to program too, 3x 1/2 clicks when in the mode you wish to program and it starts to ramp up to max and repeats, another 1/2 click while in ramping mode and it moves into strobe modes, from slow to fast and moves into the other blinky modes then repeats. a third 1/2 click when in strobe mode does a 'reset'.

When reset, the light defaults back to:

1st click: default high
2nd click: default low
3rd click: beacon (at least thats what i call it) which is 2 quick flashes at max - 1/2 second pause - 2 more flashes - repeat.

While programming, once you reach your desired level or mode, just click off the light and wait for about 5-6 seconds and the mode is set.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
No it doesn't and I enjoyed your post talking out loud about your own journey so far. Just remember that most people, be they professional salesmen or just everyday people, will tell you that what is best for you is actually what is best for them.

The best light for you is the one that works best for you. One of my CPF friends has a lot of property and coyote problems can be a daily occurrence for him, so he needs throw, which I care almost nothing about. Most of my light choices are determined by size, the smaller the better, and low output capability. I don't have to worry about high output because all modern lights have enough output for me and I just want to be able to control how much of that output comes into play when I turn the light on.

Now that you've started this thread I guess you'll have to keep us updated on which lights have really found the mark for you!