Once Favorite Flashlight I'll Never Use Again

recDNA

Flashaholic
gIf you've read my comments here and in the Marketplace you may know that I think the Javelin with Dereelight R5 is by far the best AA flashlight in the 2 X AA or 3 X AA format you can buy. The output on two L91's is nothing short of spectacular. Sadly, I may never use it again?

Why? I bought a EDC C2H body just for fun to try the Javelin head in the "shorty" format. I inserted one IMR16340 and shined it on a wall in my darkened basement. UN-FRIGGEN-BELIEVEABLE!. It's not only even brighter but it has a brighter hotspot so I'm sure it throws further.

Now I don't know what the run time will be (I'm using it with the 1 mode version of the R5 High only) but I was surprised that it is only drawing 1.67 amps at the tail whereas my 2 L91's were well over 2 amps (higher than recommended for that battery). The draw with 1 X IMR16340 really isn't bad so I anticipate decent runtime. My IMR wasn't even fully charged when I tried it! (3.95 V)

As much as I love the Javelin, and I'll certainly keep it for emergencies when all I have is AA's, I just stuck my little shorty in my jeans pocket. Deep carry with the clip that comes with it. And I wouldn't even know it was there.

I don't often gush. This it it.

Last edited:

JCD

Enlightened
If you've read my comments here and in the Marketplace you may know that I think the Javelin with Dereelight R5 is by far the best AA flashlight in the 2 X AA or 3 X AA format you can buy. The output on two L91's is nothing short of spectacular. Sadly, I may never use it again?

Why? I bought a CL1H body just for fun to try the Javelin head in the "shorty" format. I inserted one IMR16340 and shined it on a wall in my darkened basement. UN-FRIGGEN-BELIEVEABLE!. It's not only even brighter but it has a brighter hotspot so I'm sure it throws further.

Now I don't know what the run time will be (I'm using it with the 1 mode version of the R5 High only) but I was surprised that it is only drawing 1.67 amps at the tail whereas my 2 L91's were well over 2 amps (higher than recommended for that battery). The draw with 1 X IMR16340 really isn't bad so I anticipate decent runtime. My IMR wasn't even fully charged when I tried it! (3.95 V)

As much as I love the Javelin, and I'll certainly keep it for emergencies when all I have is AA's, I just stuck my little shorty in my jeans pocket. Deep carry with the clip that comes with it. And I wouldn't even know it was there.

I don't often gush. This it it.

What do you consider decent runtime?

1x AW IMR16340 @ 1.67 Amperes of current -> ~3C -> ~20 minutes of runtime

Depending on your needs, that may be plenty, or that may be insufficient.

At any rate (so to speak), congratz on finding another light you like.

recDNA

Flashaholic
What do you consider decent runtime?

1x AW IMR16340 @ 1.67 Amperes of current -> ~3C -> ~20 minutes of runtime

Depending on your needs, that may be plenty, or that may be insufficient.

At any rate (so to speak), congratz on finding another light you like.

It isn't quite that simple because the current used drops as does the output (Bigchelis' thread shows us they ALL drop pretty rapidly) and it will draw fewer amps at 4.2 volts than at 3.95 but 20 minutes is fine for my purposes. Short bursts to and from my car in the dark is my most common use. To give an example I have a mini on my keyring with an imr16340 and I only have to charge it twice a month.

Last edited: