weapon light

skiendog

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

I am in the market for a weapon light. it will be mounted onto a picatinny rail. I would like some guidance. I think I found a good deal here but I sure would appreciate some input from you all-- the professionals!! is that probably the best deal at the $50 price range? What kind of improvements would I be able to get if I upped my price range to $100?

Thanks!

motorwerks

Newly Enlightened
I dont trust my life to anything Leapers makes. With that said the reviews are pretty solid, maybe its not so bad. With a little patients I built my Surefire Scout from parts bought here for right a $150.00 When its really like $300 to $400 worth of light.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
This will probably last ya one trip to the range...two if yer lucky. Get ya a Surefire G2L, 1" scope mount to start...then you can get a malkoff drop-in and tape switch later. The G2L will run ya about $60 at Lowes, and 1" scope mounts can be had for about $8-$15. The Surefire M78/M79 mounts are also nice, cause they can be adjusted for slight differences in body diamtere. A 1" scope mount may or may not fit the G2 perfectly. Welcome to CPF, BTW.

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
I would pick up a Streamlight TLR-3 for under $70 or a TLR-1 for $90 and be done (do a Froogle search). They are picatinny mount lights, so that is handled. The TLR-1 is brighter and I think it's worth the extra $20.

I don't think you can mod them, but if you knew how to do that.....you probably wouldn't be posting this question (you'd have already built yourself something).

I have a TLR-2 and it works great for hog hunting at night. I also use a couple of Surefire 6P's with mounts....they work great too. The 6P's with led are around $90, then you still need a $15-25 mount. It's a superior way to go because so many of the guys on here offer drop-ins or you can get DX drop-ins for them, too (later down the road if you want a brighter light). That is over the $50-100 you previously mentioned, but worth serious consideration.

Turboman7

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

I am in the market for a weapon light. it will be mounted onto a picatinny rail. I would like some guidance. I think I found a good deal here but I sure would appreciate some input from you all-- the professionals!! is that probably the best deal at the $50 price range? What kind of improvements would I be able to get if I upped my price range to $100?

Thanks!

Hey skiendog,

I might have an older slightly used Surefire M951XM07 without the "tape switch" that I can let you have for $100.00 plus shipping. If I can find it.

skiendog

Newly Enlightened
I know the Surefire name... and have heard they make great weapon lights. I don't know any of the models, or any specifics. are they upgradeable/modifiable?

Hey skiendog,

I might have an older slightly used Surefire M951XM07 without the "tape switch" that I can let you have for $100.00 plus shipping. If I can find it.

from a quick google search, that sure does sound like a great deal!! It would be a few weeks before i could get you that money, so i don't want you to have that lying around the house if you have another potential buyer. but, come june 1st, if you still have it, do send me a private message!!! is it one of the models that a tape switch CAN be connected to... but i would just have to purchase the tape switch separately?

Wetterman

Newly Enlightened
The XM07 means that it has come with a 7" tapeswitch so probably it has the tailcap that accepts tapeswitches.

That's a good deal for a good light.:twothumbs

skiendog

Newly Enlightened
The XM07 means that it has come with a 7" tapeswitch so probably it has the tailcap that accepts tapeswitches.

That's a good deal for a good light.:twothumbs

awesome. if he wants to hold it for me, i sure would appreciate it. i think i could cut him a check to hold it if he wants a deposit... put something down on it :)

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this light for a pistol or long gun?

I just picked up a Surefire M500A for my carbine length M4. I thought about it on paper and it would cost me just the same amount of money if not more to pick up a Daniel Defense or LaRue rail system, and a SF universal XM/UM series light.

I also like the M500 system after seeing it on the movie swat and using its counterpart for long guns (M511A) while in the military.

Just checked the link, long gun! I just don't see a point to modify a weapons light when you can have a great one from the start that has been designed and "tested" for weapons mounting.

Last edited:

skiendog

Newly Enlightened
Is this light for a pistol or long gun?

I just picked up a Surefire M500A for my carbine length M4. I thought about it on paper and it would cost me just the same amount of money if not more to pick up a Daniel Defense or LaRue rail system, and a SF universal XM/UM series light.

I also like the M500 system after seeing it on the movie swat and using its counterpart for long guns (M511A) while in the military.

Just checked the link, long gun! I just don't see a point to modify a weapons light when you can have a great one from the start that has been designed and "tested" for weapons mounting.

This is for an SMG; mounting will be via a picatinny fore-mount rail that is already installed. I will put up some pics in a sec.

Turboman7

Newly Enlightened
Hey skiendog,

Yeah. I'll hold it for you. No problem at all. I've had a lot of instances where the guys here go out of their way for me. This is my way of doing the same.

We have a lot of great guys here. They are always ready to help where and when ever they can.

PM me when you are ready.

P.S. By the way, it does come with the tail switch that accepts the "tape switch". Unfortunately Lex (My buddy - a full blooded German Shepherd "ate" it along with the wire harness to my 9C1's fuel tank pump).

Size15's

Flashaholic
FYI - the XM TailCap without any remote switch is model "XM00" so model "M951XM07" without the ST07 remote switch would be "M951XM00".

Also, that particular WeaponLight seems rather too long and bulky for mounting on the firearm you've shown us a photo of.
I'm not exactly sure where on the firearm you would attach the remote tape pressure switch (or how you secure the cable).

On the length of Picatinny rail it has Shirley it would be more appropriate to mount a SureFire X300?

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the length of Picatinny rail it has Shirley it would be more appropriate to mount a SureFire X300?

Ditto...an regular "rifle" light might make it a bit awkward to handle...you might (probably will) be better off with a pistol weapon light.

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
The length of this light will block the trigger on one side (which one depends on whether your are right or left handed) and not fit on the bottom. I would go with a pistol-appropriate sized light.

Turboman7

Newly Enlightened
FYI - the XM TailCap without any remote switch is model "XM00" so model "M951XM07" without the ST07 remote switch would be "M951XM00".

Also, that particular WeaponLight seems rather too long and bulky for mounting on the firearm you've shown us a photo of.
I'm not exactly sure where on the firearm you would attach the remote tape pressure switch (or how you secure the cable).

Thank you sir, I was not aware of that. I guess you DO learn something new every day!

Turboman7

Newly Enlightened
Hey skiendog,

Size15's, angelofwar, and kingofwylietx are all right. After looking at the picture of your "Mac", the M951 is too long and might interfere with the trigger. A "gun" light might be better, but I'm sure that you won't find an X300 for under $100.

Turboman7

Newly Enlightened

Hey Size15's,

I just ran a search in the Surefire catalog and there is no such thing. Where did you get that info? Is it just common knowledge around here?