My new Jetbeam RRT-0...

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received the Jetbeam RRT-0.
Wow, what a wonderful small light. On a sigle eneloops cell it makes more light than my original SF-U2. When you say the technological advancements...
As you may already know, the RRT-0 can use an AA battery, either lithium or Ni-MH (I don't suggest alkalines at all), a primary 3 V CR123, and a rechargeable 3.7 V Li-Ion R123, and a Li-Ion 3.7 V 14500. To switch from the AA size to 123 size, it is necessary to use an adapter, which came (in my case) with the light.
As soon I received the light today, I took some measurements. My intention is to use the RRT-0 with the AA setup, but I did the measurements for all possible battery combinations.
I dont' have the possibility to post a graph; the measurements are made, respectively, with a 1.2 V Eneloop, a 3 V SF123 and 3.7 V AW123 (and 3.7 V AW14500):

Low Low: 0.05 A - 0.02 A - 0.015 A

Low: 0.15 A - 0.05 A - 0.045 A

Medium: 0.26 A - 0.1 A - 0.075 A

Medium-High: 0.52 A - 0.17 A - 0.14 A

High: 2.25 A - 1.2 A - 0.9 A

By looking at the numbers, it is impressive to see how the boost-buck driver keeps its efficiency even at the low voltages.

The luminous flux output for the five levels indicated in the manual (180, 50, 25, 10, 1 with the 1.5 Volt battery) are pretty accurate, but they are referred to emitter lumens, not "Out of The Front" (OTF or torch lumens). This can be easily verified with a ceiling bounce test - comparatively to a calibrated flashlight.

The RRT-0 uses a very good smooth reflector, and a AR coated window lens: the optical losses are therefore kept at minimum. The lens and the reflector can be easily accessed, as there is no threadlock. This can be a good thing in view of an emitter upgrade.

The anodizing is very good. I tried to mark it with the tip of the blade of my swiss knife, and there were no sign left whatsoever.

The light levels can be switched via the brightness adjustement ring. Here is where the RRT-0 excels in comparison with similar lights, where the switching is accomplished via tailcap presses or head twists. The adjustment ring is, in my opinion, the most effective way of changing the brightness of a flashlight. Piooneered from SF with the U2, it is used from a relatively low numbers of flashlights on the market, since it add design and manufacturing costs (and sometime size) to a flashlight.
In the RRT-0, the adjustment ring operates via Hall magnetic sensors. If you place a magnet close to the head, the light will switch brightness. On the other hand, a mechanical switch is not be sensitive to external magnetic fields, but it will have a much more limited lifespan.
The RRT-0 has a small delay on activation, and I have noted this behavior in many multi-level lights. The very first SF U2 had the same behavior, and I noted it in some Fenixes. It is nothing really disturbing, and can be explained with the fact that the light, as soon you click the tailcap, it has to power first the control electronics, identify the battery type and chemistry, poll the brightness sensors, and then light the LED. In total it takes a tenth of a second.
The runtimes I measured are consistent with the current consumption and with those indicated in the manual. Very honest I can say.
This light is designed for throw, notwithstanding its relative minuscule size. For this reason, the reflector is smooth, and the Cree R2 LED will produce rings in the beam. I don't consider the beam artifacts of the RRT-0 to be of any disturbance or impairment in its use, as they are only visible when you project the beam on a white wall, and are not noticeable in real world use.

The clip is an area where the RRT-0 can be improved. It is a reversible clip, in the sense that it can be placed for bezel-up or bezel-down carry. The problem is that the clip will slide up or down, or unclip totally, with too much ease. The brushed steel it is realised with - is too pliable, making it unreliable for the intended use. Nice to see, not good to use.

The RRT-0 will tailstand, due to a circular tailcap guard, which has four oval openings to which is possible to attach a lanyard clip. If you use the included lanyard, the light will not tailstand anymore. The lanyard could attach to the hole in the clip, but a simple pull with two hands would detach the clip from the light.

Except the problem of the cheap clip, the RRT-0 is a wonderful light. It has superior anodising, and state-of-the-art level switching: the ring has detents, but can be easily moved by sliding the thumb on it. The low-low level can be alternated with the low on the first position of the ring: this reduces the swing of the adjustment ring, which is important on such small light.

To conclude this small review (which I regard more as my first impressions now that I received the RRT-0) I would recommend to not use alkaline batteries in the AA configuration. The light draws 2.25 Amp from the AA cell, and no alkaline whatsoever has been designed for such elevate draw; unwanted battery behavior may develop, and runtime will be limited to few minutes anyway.

Regards

Anthony

Note for the moderator: if you consider it appropriate, please move this in the review forum.

Southpaw1969

Newly Enlightened
Nice review!

I am wondering if the brightness ring is loose enough, or if the design is such that it will switch levels in your pocket from being moved around?

This light looks really great! It's a serious contender for being my next purchase.

Question for anyone who owns one- how is the brightness and beam compared to the SureFire E2DL? The E2DL has a smooth reflector too, but I think it has other optics going on under the hood. :confused:

kkeyser

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for this review. I am very intrigued by this flashlight and am seriously thinking about getting one.

Are you happy you got this light? It sounds like you are, but I am curious if you are disappointed in it, wished you had gotten something else, or any other thoughts you may have.

Would you recommend it to somebody else?

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review!

I am wondering if the brightness ring is loose enough, or if the design is such that it will switch levels in your pocket from being moved around?
This light looks really great! It's a serious contender for being my next purchase.
:confused:

I like that light as well yet wonder about the selector ring being loose.

Abyssos

Newly Enlightened
RRT-0 is on my radar as well. This review is very tempting indeed.

OCD

Enlightened
I EDC my RRT-0. During the week, I carry it in clirpped in the left-front pocket of my khakis. On the weekends, I carry it in clipped in the left-rear pocket of my jeans. I have yet found the selector ring to have changed modes when in either pocket. IMHO, the ring has just enough resistance to make it easy to turn but keep it from turning accidentally.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good review and I can answer a couple of the questions asked. First compared to the E2DL it is about the same on ceiling bounce on fresh Cr123 battery's but even closer on 14500, however it does not throw as far as the TIR optic E2DL but for this the RRT0 has brighter spill. I have been carrying it for a couple months deep carry in my pocket and not once has the selector ring change position accidentally.

If you plan on using 14500 or AA I would choose the Jet-I Pro because with the extender tube this makes the RRT0 about the same size as a PD30 or Quark 2xcr123. Even though it's that long with the extender tube you still may want the output selector ring of the RRT0 and I can totally understand that.

From what I can tell the OP reflector is the way to go it does not seem to hurt the throw to bad and it helps with the dark rings. I have to agree the Jetbeam selector ring is one of the best UI out there, if I had to choose my favorite UI's it would be this and Zebralight.

I also agree with what the OP said about the build and finish the Jetbeam IMO is the best Chinese made light available, the finish is tough to say the least. From my experience through what I own which you can look at in my sig line the Jetbeam RRT0 and Jet-1 Pro are two of the very best pocket lights out there along with the Surefire E1B. So between the RRT0 and Jet-1 Pro the best for you may depend on if you want the programmable IBS UI with access to output via tailcap click or the selector ring of the RRT0. Also like I said the Jet-I is a much smaller light when using 14500 or AA but the RRT0 can also use cr123 without the extender.

The brightness between the two seem the same and the beam seems about the same to with the Jet-1 Pro having a slightly more smooth beam with a little less dark rings when both light's are using textured reflectors.

It's a good time to a flashaholic :)

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i also like my RRT-0 very much, and now its available in warm tint!

i really like the clip too, i have a D10 with clip, and there have been a few times where i find my D10 on the concrete when it was suppose to be clipped to my front pocket. i carry my RRT-0 more and it has never fallen out.

no complaints about my selector ring. mine is on there pretty tight, i even applied some nyogel lube to make it smoother.

since finding out about the warm tint. ive been thinking of buying it, giving the cool tint away as a gift since it still in very good condition.

joeye975

Newly Enlightened
So nice to hear so many positive reviews about RRT-0, I already EDC RRT-0 for couple of weeks. I like it so far.
I find the R2 LED in RRT-0 is more warm compare with my othes torchs such as LD20 and D10. So I was satisfied with the R2 led .
About the selecter ring, as I already have another torch RRT-2, I really appriciate with this kind of UI and it never changed the brightness in accident.
About the D10 clip, I have tried it, but find the clip can not fit RRT-0 very good. So I use a additional clip form LD20 to overlap the original RRT-0 clip. These two clip could fit very good. Though my RRT-0 will have two clip, it really make the torch more reliable and give me more choices to EDC.

astanapane

Newly Enlightened
hello all,

i also have the RRT-0 twice double and i really like this flashlight. Some of them are faulty, so my second one order had to be replaced. I recommend this RRT-0 for every use due to long and nice beam through.

I would also like to post some picture for clean every part of it and take care of specific parts but, there is not button to attach the picture for your help. It would be useful for some people that are interest to it.

Kind regards

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
I love to EDC my RRT-0! It has plenty of light on high and a nice low as well. I agree the rotator ring is a very efficient way to change modes and I have no problem with mine feeling loose.

It fits fine in my pocket with a bezel down carry. I really have no problems with the clip either.

Plus its a great looking light that gets attention when I have to light up something.:devil:

I had a smooth reflector on my first one and then got this second with the OP reflector... For my use i prefer the throw of the SMO one and am planning on ordering an SMO one to use again.

Thanks for another review of a great light!

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would also like to post some picture for clean every part of it and take care of specific parts but, there is not button to attach the picture for your help. It would be useful for some people that are interest to it.

Kind regards

Read here- http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_vb3_attachments

And related thread here- https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/210884

Use the search box on any CPF page in the upper right corner and it will help you figure out anything you need to know.

smrtprts

Newly Enlightened
I just received my RRT-0 as well. I thought they were otf lumens :/ damn...

astanapane

Newly Enlightened
I just received my RRT-0 as well. I thought they were otf lumens :/ damn...

even if it not OTF you can say that is very good and very bright flashlight. I think this is the best one of the size-battery-quility-performance.