They said I was crazy. They said it couldn't be done. I did it anyway.

fyrstormer

Banned
Maybe someday the voices will learn who's the boss of my head. :p

CIMG4130a.png

Oh yes...that is a Cree MC-E you see inside my (second) Arc6. I'm sure I've pimped out my K2-modded Arc6 enough that a few people remember I've mentioned it before; well, I got bored again tonight, so I put one of my MC-Es into my new Arc6.

Wow. :eek:oo: Whereas the K2-modded Arc6 gained a noticeable amount of throw compared to the stock SSC P4 emitter, this MC-E-modded Arc6 gains about as much throw and a lot more flood -- it's like having a floodlight clipped in my pocket. There is a bit of a donut-hole at intermediate distances, but it's not severe, and honestly the thing is so bright it doesn't even matter. I wish my camera were good enough at taking nighttime photos for me to show you what it's like, but...wow.

Good idea. Would mod again. The voices can shove it. :D

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
very nice! any chance of some beamshots?? outdoors would be much preferred. That's some cool modding work man!

grunscga

Newly Enlightened
I don't know much about the Arc lights. How much current is it pushing through the emitter? (Mostly, I'm curious how an SST-50 would do in there...)

fyrstormer

Banned
The Arc6 driver puts about 1.4 amps through the emitter on the highest setting. I thought about using an SST-50, but I already had some MC-Es so I used them instead. I'm sure an SST-50 would work fine, because cmacclel is selling small production runs of a 1xRCR123 flashlight using the SST-50 as its emitter. The two most popular drivers are 1.4A and 2.8A 3-speed drivers, and I ordered the 1.4A driver, so I'm looking forward to its arrival so I can do a little shootout. :cool:

The most tedious part of this mod was grinding down a 1971 penny into a small 1mm thick square slab of copper to shim the MC-E with. The MC-E's die carrier is about half as thick as the P4's or K2's die carriers. Generally I prefer heatsink epoxy to reflow soldering as a means for heat conduction, but I opted to solder the copper shim onto the back of the emitter before epoxying the whole shebang to the inside of the light. I was pleasantly surprised that the MC-E is a perfect fit for the Arc6's stock reflector; the thing looks like it was intended to go there.

fyrstormer

Banned
You so crazy... :grin2: Nice to have the choice of which to use? Same UI, different missions...
Definitely nice to have the options, yeah. I also quite smartly (though somewhat unintentionally) chose a cool-white tint for the MC-E and a neutral-white tint for the K2, which turned out to be the right combination because the cooler light from the MC-E gives its flood a little more punch, whereas if it were tightly focused like the K2 is it would've been blinding. (at the time I really just chose the tints because they were pretty. :p)

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
The light that Arc should have built. :twothumbs
Honestly, that's the appeal of the Arc6. It has a good emitter which can be replaced in about an hour and a half and it has a driver that can output an impressive amount of power, so you can make it be the light you think Arc should've built.

Honestly I kinda have an itch to take an Arc6 head and fill it with a 5mm LED array -- but at the same time I know 1.4 amps would burn it out in short order.

Latest posts