Streamlight Tasklight 3AAA - Broken?

Bobyn

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

First off, I'm relatively new to CPF, and thanks to you guys and gals I have am now an addict. :eek: I've torn apart my old 3D MagLED and made it much better - 3x22650 Incan style - as well as other fun with flashlights I had laying around, but I'll share my mods in other threads when I get pictures. :D

My question here is regarding a now discontinued Streamlight Tasklight 3xAAA - I purchased while working at a NAPA warehouse so it didn't cost me much and it has been my lending light ever since as I was never that impressed by the output and hate those goofy AAA batteries.

I recently lent it to my younger sister for a camping trip, and it came back broken. Normally its operation is High->Low->Off, but now the LED it always on slightly and when the button is pushed it goes OffButKindaOn->Low->High. High is simply relative - its barely bright enough to get through the lens.

I've taken the board out - no water damage and no obvious physical damage. Hooked it up to a power supply and probed with a multimeter but didn't find anything out of the ordinary. The LED lights fine when DD from a power supply.

(Wow I talk too much!)

Is anyone familiar with this light/similar lights? Failure known? I lost my receipt ages ago, so warranty is out of the question and a replacement board from Streamlight is more then I paid for the light.

Worst comes to worse I'll use it as a host for a project I already have in mind, but I figured it can't hurt to try.

Cheers,
-B