Brinkman Legend 2AA questions

RichardMT

Newly Enlightened
Hello. I had to stop at ACE Hardware today and het some stuff. I saw the Legend 2AA there and bought it just because...well, no reason actually.

Anyways, it seems like a nice enough little light, along the lines of a Mini-Mag, except this has the click type switch on the back.

I dont recall that I have ever owned a Brinkmann. How is the quality of this light overall? Is the switch durable enough for everyday use, or do they tend to fail or fall apart with to much use? How would you compare it to the Mini-Mag?

Thanks.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Lotsa guys think they are the bees knees for using stuff from the Sandwich Shoppe.

The switch is highly regarded by some.

I have one (rebadged for Bass Pro Shops) and I don't particularly care for it.

I carry a MiniM&g modded with a Madmax Sandwich and a RAM Technologies tail switch (which many DON'T think much of!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

If you like it, it'll be just fine!

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a modded Legend 2AA (bees knees) and the Micro Illuminator (Brinkmann Legend 1 AAA with Luxeon) I like them better than mags and they have better heatsinking for those badboy LS mods.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I'm one of the "bees knees" thinkers on the Brinkmann AA's.. You don't have to pay extra to get a tailcap clickie, and if it goes bad, Brinkmann will fix it (guaranteed for life). While there's certainly better lights, the Brink is hard to beat for the price and "modability". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

robk

Enlightened
Using home-made ZLT "sammiches", I prefer the Brinkmann 2AA to Mini-Mags, because of the tail cap switch. The rubber grips sometimes start slipping, haven't found a solution to that yet, except to remove them - leaving the light looking ugly and "unfinished". Actually, my favorite 2AA mod is a different Brinkmann - I forget the name, but it looks like a mag (no rubber) and it takes a tail switch from a legend. It's a PITA to put a sandwich in it, but well worth it. Here's a photo of it.
brinkmann.jpg

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my Brink 2AA. IMHO, it's a better host for the BB/MM modules than the minim$gs are, and its just as sturdy, with a better switch...

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll chime in too, the brinkman lights are terrific hosts for the various drop in sandwidges. I've now installed them in both and I honestly think it's easier and going to be more reliable in the brinkman. The opening in the top is just a little bit larger which makes the LED and it's leads fit through the top a little better without risking the thing shorting to the body. And the fact that you're clicking and not tightening the thing the connection seems more reliable too.

I have always recommended brinkman lights for modding, they make great hosts. Now head over to the sandwidge shop and pick up a bad boy or mad max to put in it! If you've never seen one of those before you'll be very impressed at the quality and quantity of light that comes out of it. It's WAY better than the stock bulb /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
robk said:
The rubber grips sometimes start slipping, haven't found a solution to that yet, except to remove them - leaving the light looking ugly and "unfinished".

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like the ribbed rubber grips. I rip them off and replace them with large bore, heavy industrial shrink tubing. Tough, grippy and mates sleekly with the metal parts. When they get torn or damaged, cut them off and shrink another set.

Wilkey

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
where do you get this industrial shrink wrap?

what size to get? im not sure i like the rubber grips...

thanks,
Bob

RichardMT

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the information. I am glad to know that it is a quality light and at least as durable as a Mini-Mag. I doubt it will ever be modified as I do well to just get batteries in without tearing lights up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
RichardMT...

Don't SAY that!!!!

You can not and will not believe your eyes if you ever see a Madmax beam coming out of a light that size!

If you can't do it, contact almost anybody on here about doing it for you. But it's WAY easy!

Any stock Brinkmann or M&g PALES BADLY in comparison!!!!!!!!!!!

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Richard, I'm sure someone here will gladly help you put a module in there if you need to... It's really not that hard at all...

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Richard, trust me, if I can do it you can do it. It is only slightly more difficult than changing the batteries.

Where [brick and mortar] can I find the Brinkman AA? KMart, Wallmart, or Target? Other?

Reaper

Enlightened
Richard,

I agree with everyone about how easy it is to install. I've done around 6 or 7 for myself and friends and the hardest part is deciding what color body you want. Pop out the bulb unit, drop in the new module, slide in the retaining clip, put batteries in and power it up. It IS as easy as changing batteries. My latest Brinkmann had a sticking switch (actually it was very minor), called up customer service and I received a new one 2 days later in the color that I wanted. (pewter looks very sharp) No questions - no hassle. Very good customer service.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
pedalinbob said:
where do you get this industrial shrink wrap?

what size to get? im not sure i like the rubber grips...

thanks,
Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

Bob,
You can get this stuff from Home Depot or an electrical supply house. I am not sure of the size. Just bring the light with you, eyeball it. If it looks big enough to slip over the body tube and then some, that should provide the proper shrink. If you can't find the really big bore for the rubber around the head, I have also successfully used self bonding rubberized splicing tape. I think this makes the unit a lot sleeker and it also allows it to fit in the light loop of my RipOffs EDC holster along with my Leatherman.

Wilkey

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bees knees was a colloquial expression much like "neato" or "keen" meaning...nifty! or the modern day equivalent, "cool"

Wilkey