New help finding a light for a buddy of mine..

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, buddy of mine just started a new security job and needs a light.

He had a holster that from what I understand will hold a 6P and now he needs a light to go with it at around 50 bucks or less.

For now, I've lent him something but he needs something more powerful. I have better lights but they're either too big or aren't black and it has to be black and he has to have a black holster.

He COULD get another holster so a little bigger light would work if you can tell me where to find a holster in black leather.

He prefers something with more throw and he'll need a total runtime of around 3-4 hours if possible and if not, a couple of hours and spare batteries.

Something that'll run on rechargeables and that he can preferably get locally (USA) so as not to have to wait for weeks for it.

Brand, model and type of switch are irrelevant. The light I lent him is around 5 inches and fits perfectly but then, we can work with the holster too.

Thanks and please post links if you have them.

George

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a seraph from lumens factory or the knock-off skyray from DX.

red02

Enlightened
Since price is 50, and you want rechargeables cr123s are pretty much out... Try the Eagletac P100A2 for AAs. Lighthound and Illumination gear will have it. Outstanding light for 40-50 depending where you buy.

The Romisen lights from Shinningbeam.com (US distributor) have a good rep here and go for around 20 something.

The problem with DX is that they take forever to ship, if they don't spontaneously decide to loose the order...

oh, right . . . links
http://www.light-reviews.com/eagletac_p100a2/
http://www.illuminationgear.com/23450.html
http://www.lighthound.com/EagleTac-P100A2-2xAA-flashlight-195-Lumens-max-output-2-levels_p_3525.html

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a big fan of shiningbeam too, I think one of their ITP lights might also be a very good choice. The romisens are great but don't have very good modes honestly. The kingpower's are a very nice cheap option as well.

If you want to check out the seraph:
http://www.lumensfactory.com/cart.php?cat_id=11&sub_cat_id=10

you can either buy the full light from them or get a xenon light from them and then buy your own drop-in from anywhere else.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since price is 50, and you want rechargeables cr123s are pretty much out... Try the Eagletac P100A2 for AAs. Lighthound and Illumination gear will have it. Outstanding light for 40-50 depending where you buy.

l

+1 on the P100C2 or if he can spend around $60ish the P20C2 MKII and I carry the P100 and P20C2 in a 6P holster that was meant for the 6P to be carried bezel up, Uncle Mike's brand holster. As long as the holster he has is for a bezel up 6P with a fold over button or velcro top flap these Eagletac lights should fit.

mrcandyman

Newly Enlightened
I had about the same requirement when I was buying my lights. I work security in a wide variety of environments and wanted a fairly cheap, but durable, bright light with a good throw. I ended up getting a Solarforce L2M with an XR-E 0.8-4.2V 5 modedropin, and I was sent by a kind gentleman an Ultrafire L2 host that I put a Solarforce XP-G single mode dropin into. I actually ended up swapping the dropins because the Solarforce just made a better work light and had a tighter switch, which made it better for single mode than multi. Both these flashlights are running 18650 cells, which I have to admit I was a bit iffy on getting, but they are fantastic cells. I have yet to run down a battery in a shift, though I couldn't tell you what the actual run time is.

The XR-E and XP-G actually have a pretty similar beam pattern and light output. The XR-E does throw farther, but in general I actually think the XP-G is a slightly more useful light, and it will get a longer run time.

Anyways, that's just what I ended up with after posting a similar topic here, and I couldn't imagine being happier. Once the weather improves I'll get to making a comparative review on the lights.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, thanks for your replies and sorry for taking so long to reply. My computer decided to go ape$hit on me and I've spent all my time trying to get it working. I also got an external storage server that holds 15 drives :D so getting that sucker online is what made me screw my workstation up.

Yes, he can go 60 bucks so I'll look around for what I like and I'll let him know. As for the holster, bezel up is how it'll fit and the one I have fits in there beautifully.

Thank you boys :twothumbs

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would second the EagleTac T100C2 MKII (cool white). I just saw it somewhere on the Internet for $42 new with free shipping. You will get 3 hours on high using a rechargable 18650 or 2 hours using two cr123a batteries from a store (in a pinch). The issue with the EagleTac P20C2, P20A2, and Quark 123(2) is that they are all more flood then throw and you asked for something with throw. The T100C2 has throw. You will get 3 hours on high using a rechargable 18650 or 2 hours using two cr123a batteries from a store (in a pinch). The only issue with this light is that it is slightly over the 5" mark (which the P20C2, P20A2, and Quark 123(2) are not).

red02

Enlightened
Personally I really like the T100c2, however, 60 is not enough for the light and the charging system where 18650s cost atleast 10 bucks and a charger will go for another 20.

The P100A2 will get about 6k lux while the T100c2 will get 10k lux.

If OP needs the extra throw and can spend 60, the Dereelight Javelin is the way to go. Get the XRE R2 version which IIRC about 10k lux on 3xAAs, 8k on 2xAAs. Plenty of spill, best AA throw and he doesn't have to buy 40 bucks worth of batteries and accessories just to get the thing working. You can get AAs for pennies at costco or get cheap NiMH. For the money, the Javelin is the best AA thrower around. Quark AA^2 Turbo doesn't get as much 5m lux, and costs around 70. The next highest AA lux is the TK40, which runs on 8xAAs and costs around 150...

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I really like the T100c2, however, 60 is not enough for the light and the charging system where 18650s cost atleast 10 bucks and a charger will go for another 20.

Good point. I assumed the person he was giving the light to had 18650. When you are a flashaholic, you assume everybody has 18650 batteries. Sometimes you forget "normal" people only use AA and AAA. In that case I second the Dereelight (using AA with XRE emitter). nice idea.

Edit: DOH! I looked at the Deerelight page and it looks like you can't get an XRE in a Javelin. only XP-E and XP-G. XP-E will throw better then an XP-G.

Last edited:

red02

Enlightened
Alright boys, here's something my buddy found on amazon but I don't want to comment 'cause I have no idea although 5 hours at 210 lumens seems a little a bit of happy numbering to me..http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001LYYO10/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Comment please and I'll send him the link or copy the replies.

Thanks

George
If it looks too good to be true, it most definitely is. Most lights can't get 3hrs on 210, it would take a marvel of LED engineering to get 5. Either that or they're skewing the numbers. If they're messing with the numbers who knows what other shortcuts they're taking.

If you want to buy cheap shinningbeam.com or get ripped off. There are really no good alternatives to this. The RC-29? is focusable throw to flood. This may have decent throw, but I would question the durability and efficiency of any sub 30 dollar light...

The Javelin XRE pill can be requested from Jay (flashlightconnection.com guy-person). I think he still has a few single mode pills left. 3 stage pills are available through dereelight's official site. But be warned, they take a good week+ to get to you. I have one and it throws great (full disclosure: I have the DBS which uses the same pill).

Another option is the XPG Javelin which is right in your price range, has good throw (not the best) and uses AAs.

Last edited:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I'm not into putting pills in 'cause I'm always afraid I'll mess something up but wanted your opinion to relay to him.

I"ll be back..

Oh yeah, more opinions on this light on amazon?

Thanks

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, is this instead of the one on amazon?

I don't see any runtimes or outputs on these two romisens. Anyone know those?

Sure 20 is better than 50 :)

Are you saying it's better..?

THanks

George

red02

Enlightened
Sure 20 is better than 50 :)

Are you saying it's better..?

THanks

George

I'm saying that nu-flare isn't a common brand trusted on cpf, and there probably a reason behind that. Not knowing that reason all I can tell you is that I've read many reviews with users happy with their romisen lights, I've never heard of nu-flare before I saw that link. If your going cheap its better to risk 20 instead of 50. That said I think all of non-name brands will tell you inaccurate lumens, runtimes and such. Romisen seems to escape this criticism in the reviews I've read.

In terms of the lights I suggested, with all things being equal they are single cell lights so they will have a shorter dimmer life than a two-cell light.

If your going cheap with cr123s, this is your light: http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-88/Romisen-RC-dsh-F4-CREE-Q5/Detail

AAs: http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-211/**NEW**-Romisen-RC-dsh-N3-CREE/Detail

If your friend is fine with cr123s then the best light for him is the ET T100c2 as suggested by some other members.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nah, I need him to go with rechargeables or he'll spend all his money on batteries AND, I'm a firm believer in NOT throwing batteries away

Thanks

That last one for 20 bucks looks great. Let's see what he decides