Got my MG-PLI P-Rocket

cgonko

Newly Enlightened
Just received the light. This is the 800 lumen version. Preliminary thoughts:

Construction: solid like a rock, good heft. The light isn't too big but you really know you're holding on to it. It feels more solid in my hand than my Olight M20, which is about the same size.

Anodizing: flawless.

Threads: smooth.

Switch: "springier", for lack of a better word, than my M20. It has more travel.

Emitter: oh, oh. Off center. I emailed Bryan at Shining Beam. Not sure If it's something I can fix or not. I have no idea if the emitter itself is off, or if it's the way the reflector is screwed into the head that causes it.

I was going to wait to post, but then I remembered I have a couple CR123 batteries in my desk. I took the light down to the freight elevator and shined it down the shaft. Holy crap, this thing is very bright. It has a distinct, but wide floody hot spot and a noticeably bright and wide corona. The emitter being off center doesn't seem to effect anything. Shining the light on a flat wall shows the same, with the emitter not seeming to have any effect of beam shape. On the wall, the floody spot has a smooth transition into the corona, but the corona then has a very slight darkened ring about 4/5ths of the way out before brightening again from that ring to the edge of the flood area.

The emitter bothers me, but overall I'm very pleased, especially for the price. I remember when I got my M20 R2 last year. I did the same thing with the semi-lit elevator shaft and thought "Really? What's the fuss all about?" Then I got it home and in the dark and was REALLY impressed. This light is noticeably brighter in the shaft than the M20. I'm looking forward to seeing it outside in the dark.

bigfish5

Newly Enlightened
sounds good. If the beam is good would the emitter being offcenter make any difference? I am anxiously awaiting mine. U.S.P.S. sucks. I checked the tracking on mine and it says received at the shipping center in brooklyn New York on 6-9 at 10;19pm, NO UPDATES FOR 2 DAYS, anyway, i was really hoping to have it for the weekend. I ordered the nuetral version. hope i think mine is as bright as you do yours.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
sometimes you can unscrew the bezel and reposition the reflector and screw back on. BUT i would wait for a response first. you dont want to knock the dome off.
i think the sst50 is very friendly with being offcenter without affecting the beam. i would double check with the beamshot before fiddling.

definitely check in an all dark area. i always find it makes a huge difference in seeing the whole output. sometimes floodier lights look dimmer in light polluted areas.

Grady

Newly Enlightened
I order the 800 lumens one, too. How's the tint. Anywhere close to blue?

cgonko

Newly Enlightened
I order the 800 lumens one, too. How's the tint. Anywhere close to blue?

It is cooler than my Olight M20 R2 and my Quark Mini cr123. I'd post a picture but apparently I haven't been given the secret handshake yet.

recDNA

Flashaholic
It is cooler than my Olight M20 R2 and my Quark Mini cr123. I'd post a picture but apparently I haven't been given the secret handshake yet.

To post a picture you have to upload it to a server like Photobucket then paste the link to the picure using the yellow insert image button above. Also, the picture cannot be large. Store it around 200 X 200 pixels and you'll have no problem posting it here through the link.

RepProdigious

Enlightened
To post a picture you have to upload it to a server like Photobucket then paste the link to the picure using the yellow insert image button above. Also, the picture cannot be large. Store it around 200 X 200 pixels and you'll have no problem posting it here through the link.

Or you can put it up at Imageshack.us and you can host a big a picture as you like..... erm i mean 'as big as CPF allows' :whistle:

cgonko

Newly Enlightened
Or you can put it up at Imageshack.us and you can host a big a picture as you like..... erm i mean 'as big as CPF allows' :whistle:

OK, crappy iphone picture link below. The Olight M20 R2 with smooth reflector is on the left, the MG PLI P-Rocket on the right. Both are on low and are about 30 inches from the wall. This illustrates the color difference between the two. I'm not making any attempt to hold the lights straight on to the wall. I'm holding both in my left hand so neither is really perpendicular to the wall, accounting for the odd shape of the spot. It's kind of hard to see in the picture, but the M20's spill is larger than the MG's, but is also dimmer. What is clear of course is how much larger the MG's spot is.

http://s740.photobucket.com/albums/xx49/cgonko/?action=view&current=M20vsMG-PLI.jpg

vincent3664

Newly Enlightened
sounds good. If the beam is good would the emitter being offcenter make any difference? I am anxiously awaiting mine. U.S.P.S. sucks. I checked the tracking on mine and it says received at the shipping center in brooklyn New York on 6-9 at 10;19pm, NO UPDATES FOR 2 DAYS, anyway, i was really hoping to have it for the weekend. I ordered the nuetral version. hope i think mine is as bright as you do yours.

I'm assuming it was sent with delivery confirmation. If this is the case you aren't supposed to get any updates. It is delivery confirmation to inform the shipper when it was delivered. That's it! USPS doesn't use real time tracking. The information is saved in the scanner over the course of the day and uploaded once the carrier returns to the office. UPS uses real time tracking. It tells you when the package is expected to arrive and when it is out for delivery. Having said that, the internal Postal intranet system has more detailed info, just not available to you. Hope this helps explain the difference between the two systems. For the shipper there is simply no better value than Priority mail with delivery confirmation. It is generally cheaper and faster. I've always had good luck with it.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Priority mail is about 50/50 as far as status goes. About 50% of the time I see it changing hands all the way, the other half of the time I see no progress from the time the shipper enters the info, until after it arrives at my door.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~
FYI - the orange and yellow switch boots are not interchangeable on this light .

(info for those who prefer Glow in the dark switch boots)
~

bigfish5

Newly Enlightened
i would gladly pay another dollar on shipping to get it from ups or fedex. i have no confidence in usps. It should of been here friday, or atleast saturday, if it does not show monday i will start to worry. Also, if it doesnt show up at all, who do i call. usps wont do anything about it. Ups would probably pay for another. I just had problems getting a dive mask from usps. I think i am going to quit ordering from companies that dont offer ups as an option.

cgonko

Newly Enlightened
OK, been playing with the light for a couple days now. The light is OFFICIALLY DURABLE. I was outside tonight in the backyard with the MG PLI and the Quark Mini. One in each hand, comparing the brightness, throw and beam. You know the drill. . . swing the arm up, swing the arm down. . . swing the other arm up, swing the other arm down. . . Well, the MG PLI officially survived a drop onto my flagstone patio. Except it was more like being thrown onto the patio because I was swinging my arm. (note to self: lanyard.) A couple chips on the bezel and tail cap, but nothing a little Sharpie couldn't fix! Yeah, I like this light a lot.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Yeah this is a light that could fill the shoes of many.
The price tag is so small for what you get, I am very impressed.
:thumbsup:

Disintergrator66

Newly Enlightened
OK, been playing with the light for a couple days now. The light is OFFICIALLY DURABLE. I was outside tonight in the backyard with the MG PLI and the Quark Mini. One in each hand, comparing the brightness, throw and beam. You know the drill. . . swing the arm up, swing the arm down. . . swing the other arm up, swing the other arm down. . . Well, the MG PLI officially survived a drop onto my flagstone patio. Except it was more like being thrown onto the patio because I was swinging my arm. (note to self: lanyard.) A couple chips on the bezel and tail cap, but nothing a little Sharpie couldn't fix! Yeah, I like this light a lot.

These are cheap and work great.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TKYMTA/?tag=cpf0b6-20

AlphaZen

Enlightened
I just received my P-Rocket yesterday afternoon and had a chance to check it out last night. :wow: It really is a wall of light. It has the smoothest spot to spill transition I have seen in a light. Because of this, it isn't a 'thrower', but it still gets out there plenty far, and lights up everything in it's path. This would be a great search light, or light to grab if you hear something in your yard and want to go have a look around, because it lights up everything.

I really like this light. It is not very big, has a nice forward clicky, three modes, mode memory, tailstanding...it's great. :thumbsup:

alan98vw

Newly Enlightened
I just received my P-Rocket yesterday afternoon and had a chance to check it out last night. :wow: It really is a wall of light. It has the smoothest spot to spill transition I have seen in a light. Because of this, it isn't a 'thrower', but it still gets out there plenty far, and lights up everything in it's path. This would be a great search light, or light to grab if you hear something in your yard and want to go have a look around, because it lights up everything.

I really like this light. It is not very big, has a nice forward clicky, three modes, mode memory, tailstanding...it's great. :thumbsup:

I ordered mine last Wed, haven't got it yet, wonder what battery you are using?

AlphaZen

Enlightened
I ordered mine last Wed, haven't got it yet, wonder what battery you are using?
I am running 2 primary (Energizer) CR123's until I get some 18650's for "guilt-free" lumens. I hope yours comes soon. Make sure not to run 2 RCR123's, because it can't handle that high of a voltage.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got the neutral white version, man this light is BRIGHT! for a 1x18650 light it is the brightest i own. You won't be disappointed, gotta dig the MTB out and go for a ride to test it out.