Surefire E2D LED Defender VS Pelican 7060 LED

c.joe

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

Which light would you choose for yourself as an EDC light?

I currently carry a messenger bag so size isn't an issue.

I have read up on reviews on both but I can't seem to come to a conclusion.

My uses for a flashlight like this would be for camping, hiking, or looking for things in the dark (for example, dropping a pocketknife in the dirt as I was walking and realized it 5 minutes after when I'm x-amount of feet away)

Much appreciated,
-Chris

Also, alternatives to similar performance lights are welcomed. (chargeable, bezel tip, etc.

chef4850

Enlightened
Surefire lights are always money well spent. They seem to be considered "pricy" but I feel that they are worth the money spent. If money is of NO concern you might want to look at the LX2.

LX2 with the F04 deam difusser is a supurb combination of throwy flood. For me this combination is a much more usable beam profile and covers more general tasks. If you want to see something out there in the distance just take the F04 off and you will have all the throw you could want.

You might also want to look at the A2L aviator. I just recieved this light about two weeks ago and I really like the floody low mode and the throwy high mode. Same body styly as the LX2 but the head has a better shape IMHO. A2L does not use a TIR optic but the beam is very nice and the throw on high is pretty decient as well.

If money is an issue you could take a look at the JetBeam line of lights. Deffinately up there with SF (close but SF wins as an overall package - just my opinion).

There is just something about a SF light. I like all my lights and use them - I DO! It just gives me a "more secure" feeling when I have a SF light on me. I know that it is going to work when I need it (I have never had any light fail me yet and when one does I will bet it is not going to be a Surefire).

Hope this helps a little.

Chef

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any particular reason you're heading to the tactical selection of flashlights first?

The Pelican 7060 is a rechargeable and only lists 1.5 hour run time.

If you want to stick with Surefire, a 6PL would be just fine for the use you're describing with a longer battery life and cheaper on the wallet.

And if you didn't want to dive into the top-end of gadgets, there are dozens of quality product lines to choose from - Fenix, Solarforce, Streamlight and so on.

-Trevor

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 7060 and I'd be worried about accidentally activating it if it was in my bag. The actuation forces for both switches are small.

The 7060 is sized for and has the right features for its cradle to be mounted in a vehicle and to have the light holstered from there.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E2DL would be a great choice... it is small, has very long run-times on the low level (and the output is great) and it has god run-times on high and the output and reach of the beam is great.

The LX2 is similar to the E2DL and is also a great light. You can't go wrong with either and both are vastly superior to the Pelican... for me at least;)

HIDblue

Enlightened
My uses for a flashlight like this would be for camping, hiking, or looking for things in the dark (for example, dropping a pocketknife in the dirt as I was walking and realized it 5 minutes after when I'm x-amount of feet away)

Much appreciated,
-Chris

Also, alternatives to similar performance lights are welcomed. (chargeable, bezel tip, etc.

One of the downsides to the 7060 is that it uses a proprietary Pelican rechargeable battery. So, unless you have a spare Pelican battery or access to a charger while camping or hiking, you'll run out of light after only 1.5 hours of use.

But, there are plenty of lights out there that can use either rechargeable or primary batteries...i.e. Olight M21, JetBeam Raptor RRT-2, to name a few, can take either an 18650 rechargeable battery or regular CR123A batteries.

Or the Pelican 8060 can use either a Pelican Ni-MH rechargeable battery or regular alkaline C cell batteries.

Howecollc

Enlightened
I'm assuming that the ability to recharge the 7060 without having to remove the battery must be factoring into your decision somewhat. I can relate to that, having used a MagCharger for the last 15 years. However, after you have seen how small an E2DL feels in the hand, the trade-off of having to remove the head to replace batteries will seem well worth it (I made this observation within 10 minutes of handling my first Surefire e-series years ago).

The E2DL can be made rechargeable by simply using 2 AW brand RCR123s in place of the throwaway CR123 primaries that Surefire recommends. Runtime on high will be right at 62 minutes. I've used these batteries in my E2DL for a year and a half now with no problems, and many other people have as well. The charger costs $13 and the RCR123s are $14 a pair; ridiculously cheap for batteries you are probably going to get 3 or 4 years of use out of.

In addition to being a kick-a$$ thrower on high (as the 7060 seems to be as well), the E2DL also has the low mode which I find to be almost worthless for anything except for the very uses you mention (camping, hiking, and other pitch black environments). In those situations, the output on low when spread out thru an F04 diffuser is plenty bright to walk by, set up a tent, etc. The only time I ever use low is when I am in the woods, but I have to admit that the extra runtime is nice when you're using the light for hours on end around camp. The F04 diffuser, while indeed looking very cheesy when mounted on the head, turns the E2DL into an incredible broad floodlight on high and a very good light for close-up work in dark places when on low. Based on the current draw of the head, I'm certain that it will run for more than 25 hours straight on low with the RCR123s. By the way; low output is brighter than the factory quoted 5 lumens when running the E2DL on RCR123s (probably around 10 lumens or so).

I just don't see much of a competition between these two lights for what you want to do.

-charger: http://www.lighthound.com/Ultrafire-36-volt-or-3-volt-RCR123-Lithium-Battery-Charger_p_2270.html

-batteries: http://www.lighthound.com/AW-RCR123a-Protected-750-mAh-Battery_p_114.html

-diffuser: http://www.surefire.com/F04-Beam-Diffuser

Last edited:

c.joe

Newly Enlightened
If money is of NO concern you might want to look at the LX2.

Hope this helps a little.

Chef

I'm digging that LX2! Your post helped a lot. Thanks.

Any particular reason you're heading to the tactical selection of flashlights first?
-Trevor

I like bezel tips! Thanks

One of the downsides to the 7060 is that it uses a proprietary Pelican rechargeable battery. So, unless you have a spare Pelican battery or access to a charger while camping or hiking, you'll run out of light after only 1.5 hours of use.

But, there are plenty of lights out there that can use either rechargeable or primary batteries...i.e. Olight M21, JetBeam Raptor RRT-2, to name a few, can take either an 18650 rechargeable battery or regular CR123A batteries.

Or the Pelican 8060 can use either a Pelican Ni-MH rechargeable battery or regular alkaline C cell batteries.

I just realized 1.5 hours probably isn't too practical for camping. So I probably won't be getting the 7060 anymore.

I'm assuming that the ability to recharge the 7060 without having to remove the battery must be factoring into your decision somewhat. I can relate to that, having used a MagCharger for the last 15 years.

Big time. I had a MagCharger as well and I've been in love with it.

Thanks everyone for their helpful posts. I really appreciate you guys taking your time to answer my questions. I'll look into all your suggestions.

Cheers,
-Chris