catapult v2

nodoubt

Banned
seems like the subject went dead....they ever fine tune that beast or get any of those handouts going ??

papajoe

Newly Enlightened
+1 What happened ? It was an interesting flow of events, and then it went dead . . . . :thinking:

Actually , I'm very interested in the V2 !

ACRbling

Newly Enlightened
I've had a couple of weeks with my v2 and so far it's been great. The build is top notch and beam is perfect. You truly have to see it to appreciate it. Tightly focused hotspot with smooth bright spill, no artifacts, nice tint.

I know that there has been an issue with bigchelis's low OTF numbers but the light really holds it's own against my buddies rrt3. Also the rrt3's beam is not nearly as pretty, with an odd shape to the beam. Probably has to do with a non centered led. Not too fond of jetbeams flagship light so far. It doesn't have a good focus on the hotspot and despite what some people have said, isn't even close in terms of throw compared to my v2.

Just my 2 cents. Trust me, I had my doubts of the catapult. But honestly it's rocking my flashlight world! You just have to hold it and feel the heft, stare into the lens and study the beautiful deeeeeep reflector and ultra clear, super coated glass to appreciate the torch. I love my v2.

Last edited:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
stare into the lens and study the beautiful deeeeeep reflector and ultra clear, super coated glass to appreciate the torch. I love my v2.

yeah, don't do that too long..

low otf or not, still seems pretty darn bright to me.. :faint:

HIDblue

Enlightened
ACRBling...do you have the SMO or OP reflector in your V2? If SMO, any of the dreaded rings around the hotspot?

Harry999

Enlightened
I've had a couple of weeks with my v2 and so far it's been great. The build is top notch and beam is perfect. You truly have to see it to appreciate it. Tightly focused hotspot with smooth bright spill, no artifacts, nice tint.

I know that there has been an issue with bigchelis's low OTF numbers but the light really holds it's own against my buddies rrt3. Also the rrt3's beam is not nearly as pretty, with an odd shape to the beam. Probably has to do with a non centered led. Not too fond of jetbeams flagship light so far. It doesn't have a good focus on the hotspot and despite what some people have said, isn't even close in terms of throw compared to my v2.

Just my 2 cents. Trust me, I had my doubts of the catapult. But honestly it's rocking my flashlight world! You just have to hold it and feel the heft, stare into the lens and study the beautiful deeeeeep reflector and ultra clear, super coated glass to appreciate the torch. I love my v2.

+1 :twothumbs

ACRbling

Newly Enlightened
csshih, stare at the reflector with the light off of course! :crackup:

hidblue, I have the SMO reflector. Nope, no rings here.

Let me explain the beam profile to you to you.. picture this..

Light is 3 ft away from a white wall. the hotspot is 3.75 inches diameter, intensely white and tightly focused. 3 inches around the hotspot is a feint light yellow 8 point star (i think this is characteristic of a sst50 emitter as the rrt3 has this also, but not symmetrical like the v2, skewed in one direction having to do with the off center led). The yellowish star blends in smoothly with the cool white spill which is 2.75 ft in diameter, also damn bright. Around the whole beam is a slight planet saturn like sequence of purplish rings, which I think has to do with the SS bezel reflecting the purple tint of the lens. But is not part of the beam, so it doesn't affect the usage of the light at all, unless you're white wall hunting.

When shining the light at a white wall 8ft or more away, there is a dim nipple, shaped like small rectangle at the center of the hotspot. Don't worry as it isn't very noticeable. Adds character to the beam :laughing:

One thing though, the low mode which is stated at 250 lumens, is as bright or brighter than my 380 emitter/300 otf t20c2 mkii. So, this light actually has two modes...

1. damn, that's pretty bright

and

2. holy f*ck, turn that thing off

Oh and if you're going to buy this light for camping and night time wilderness exploring like I did, don't. The hotspot is too bright and distracting to be useful. I found myself using my t20c2 and Q123/2 more often.

Hope this helps some of you thinking of purchasing this light.

HIDblue

Enlightened
csshih, stare at the reflector with the light off of course! :crackup:

hidblue, I have the SMO reflector. Nope, no rings here.

Let me explain the beam profile to you to you.. picture this..

Light is 3 ft away from a white wall. the hotspot is 3.75 inches diameter, intensely white and tightly focused. 3 inches around the hotspot is a feint light yellow 8 point star (i think this is characteristic of a sst50 emitter as the rrt3 has this also, but not symmetrical like the v2, skewed in one direction having to do with the off center led). The yellowish star blends in smoothly with the cool white spill which is 2.75 ft in diameter, also damn bright. Around the whole beam is a slight planet saturn like sequence of purplish rings, which I think has to do with the SS bezel reflecting the purple tint of the lens. But is not part of the beam, so it doesn't affect the usage of the light at all, unless you're white wall hunting.

When shining the light at a white wall 8ft or more away, there is a dim nipple, shaped like small rectangle at the center of the hotspot. Don't worry as it isn't very noticeable. Adds character to the beam :laughing:

One thing though, the low mode which is stated at 250 lumens, is as bright or brighter than my 380 emitter/300 otf t20c2 mkii. So, this light actually has two modes...

1. damn, that's pretty bright

and

2. holy f*ck, turn that thing off

Oh and if you're going to buy this light for camping and night time wilderness exploring like I did, don't. The hotspot is too bright and distracting to be useful. I found myself using my t20c2 and Q123/2 more often.

Hope this helps some of you thinking of purchasing this light.

Great description ACRbling! Thanks. Found these beamshots of the V2 on Thrunite's website:

http://www.thrunite.com/productsweb/CatapultV2.html

And the call sign "ACRbling," any reference to COD MW2?

Last edited:

wolfy

Enlightened
I have three throwers I recently played with, not including the SR90 Intimidator which is just a brute in comparison, and they are the Masterpiece Pro-1(SMO), the Jetbeam M1X (OP) and the Catapult V2 (SMO).

Of the three I would say this;
Catapult V2: Tight hostspot, fairly clean spill (as described by ACRbling above) and throws very well.
JetBeam M1X: Not quite as tight as the Catapult, nor throws as far, but has a nice smooth spill which is a bit larger and a bit brighter than the Catapult's.
Masterpiece Pro-1: Tighter smaller hotspot than Catapult, and throws almost as far (surprisingly good for a 275lumen PIL, throws better than the M1X), but a less bright and less pretty spill to both above (a couple rings of Saturn at about 1/4 and 1/3 of the way from center).

The Masterpiece-Pro1 and the Catapult both have very similar dimensions for their deep reflectors,the Catapult's looks only a couple millimeters larger in diameter and maybe a few millimeters deeper. The reflector on the Jetbeam M1X, by comparison, is obviously shallower and larger in diameter. Would be interesting to see the M1X with an SMO reflector, though I suspect we would see artifacts in the hotspot.

Also have a Legion II SST-50 (OP), but didnt have it on the night I tried the three above, but I can say its reflector is deeper than the Catapult and slightly smaller in diameter. It has a fairly tight hotspot (similar to the Catapult but appears less bright than the Catapult) and a slightly smaller yet obviously brighter spill than the Catapult, has been described as a wall of light and the description seems apt.

Hopefully in a few weeks time I will have time to post some comparative beam shots of all four, though the Catapult V2 initially appears to be the throw king of this bunch.

Last edited: