Arc AAA Durability

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeK

Enlightened
Hey guys,

I have a quick question about the Arc AAA. Obviously it is one heck of a tough light. I tossed it at a concrete surface from a few feet above ground and it still worked like a champ. I'm wondering, approximately how much force will it stand? Anybody ever broken one of these lights?
Thanks for your time.

ChrisA

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Anybody ever broken one of these lights?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif It's virtually indestructible during everyday use...

Chris

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i've read once that a guy broke one.
he also mentioned that he fixed it.

both seem very unlikely to me. i don't recall who it was though...

Tomas

Banned
Huh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

As I read the first post I suddenly realized that I hadn't heard about a "broken Arc AAA" here amongst a group that sometimes even tries to break lights.

The Arc AAA doesn't get gentle treatment, it's been in everything from liquid nitrogen to boiling water and still manages to come through. It has been subjected to all sorts of physical torture and still lights up.

When you think about it, this really is an amazing little light.

Yeah, the big powerful lights that put out a tangible 'bar' of light get all the attention, and the tiny, tiny "squeeze me" lights like the Photon's get the coo's, ooh's and aw's, but good ol' reliable gets the work done without even being noticed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just may have to buy another. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

T_sig6.gif

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I inadvertently tested mine (read lost) in my yard one winter. Snow, sleet, freezing rain and rain for six weeks. When I ended the test (read found) it was in perfect condition.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
mine's been through a complete cycle in the washing machine and dryer without any incident /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you intentionally tried you could of course break it but
short of that, forget it. The Arc AAA is bullet-proof! Under
normal use I expect it will last almost forever. You are far
more likely to lose it than to break it.

I've never done any systematic destruction tests or anything
and I don't have a great "I dropped my Arc AAA in molen
steel . . ." story, but I am quite sure that the AAA is VERY
durable. I use mine a great deal, or at least I did until
I got my Arc LS, and over the two years or so that I've had
it, my Arc AAA LE has proven itself as an ultra reliable,
no-nonsense, serious, dependable, and (of course), DURABLE
tool. A great light.

p.s. nothing like lending your light to people to test its
durability--I don't know why, but everyone always drops the
thing, or tries to turn it off by screwing down HARD on the
head. I always try to put my hand out for it just BEFORE
they're done with it, so that I can turn it off. But, as I
said, no problem either way. Bullet proof.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
yea...its kinda annoying how some people who play with my arc AAA always try to turn it on by unscrewing the head and then crossthread it whilst screwing it back on, or over-tighten the head.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only problem ive noticed is the threads get nasty black gunk(oxidization, i think) after a while. Easily fixed with a dab of silver grease.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
makar said:
whats up with "this_is_nascar"'s torture test?

marc

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry. Haven't had the time. Besides, it sounds like many have already put the AAA thru some great tests to prove its durability. If I ever find some spare time, I'll get back to it.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Durable, reliable and small. You can drop it in your pocket and not worry about it turning on accidentally.

The Arc LS used to be like this, until it was "improved" with a tail cap switch.

Ardy

Newly Enlightened
So eluminator,
You mean the LS will "turn on" accidently in your (jeans) pocket? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

makar

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

makar said:
whats up with "this_is_nascar"'s torture test?

marc

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry. Haven't had the time. Besides, it sounds like many have already put the AAA thru some great tests to prove its durability. If I ever find some spare time, I'll get back to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

don't do it anyway! it's too fine to be destroyed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
Is it possible to damage the regulation circuitry of the light from a hard drop, but the LED still work? Sorry, I have no clue about regulation and that is probably a stupid question, but lately since I dropped my Arc hard (and dented it), the brightness seems to be decreasing at a linear rate, with fresh batteries. Is this possible?

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
g11: if its the arc AAA, it would be normal since its only partially regulated. if the regulation circuitry was spoilt it wouldn't light up all since the voltage of the battery has to be boosted to light the led /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
the circuitry and led are potted, so will withstand quite a few g's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ardy, I don't know. My problem is I worry too much. Putting an extra 3/4 inch of stuff on the end of the flashlight gives me more to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.