SST-50 reflector for MAG?

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a nice flat heatsink that I screwed down a star mounted SST-50 on. The screws stick up a little on both sides and the stock cut down mag reflector can not properly focus it. Big donut hole...

Can anyone recommend a good reflector or optic that will fit right over the SST-50 to properly focus it? I need something that's small and just fits over the opening of the SST-50 and doesn't extend out very much (that way it won't touch the screws).

Thanks in advance!

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
Are you saying that the screws you used to screw down the star board protrude farther outwards than the top of the emitters dome? What type of screws are you using? You should use flat top screws of some sort.

Also, is this installed in a Mag host? I assume it is. I think the OEM cut-off cammed reflector is perfect. But given your situation I don't see how any other reflector would suffice considering that most/all 53mm SMO reflectors have identical parabolas and would also interfere with the screws.

Fichtenelch

Enlightened
Britelumens sells a mop reflector with 16mm opening which is pretty good, had it on an sst-90 here...until the sst-90 died..need to replace it when i have some time ;)

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you saying that the screws you used to screw down the star board protrude farther outwards than the top of the emitters dome? What type of screws are you using? You should use flat top screws of some sort.

Also, is this installed in a Mag host? I assume it is. I think the OEM cut-off cammed reflector is perfect. But given your situation I don't see how any other reflector would suffice considering that most/all 53mm SMO reflectors have identical parabolas and would also interfere with the screws.

No the screws do not stick out higher then the emitter dome. The problem is most heatsinks for the SST-50, P7 etc, have a part in the center that sticks up into the reflector. This is a flat heatsink with a star mounted SST-50. As you can imagine when you press the stock cut down mag reflector, it does not fully surround the SST-50 so the beam is very poor.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ahd the same issue with an XPG mod in another flashlight...could not get reflector down enought.. I was considering removing material from its bottom....

taht will definetwely bring the LED die in teh right place....

Mettee

Enlightened
well if you are worried about the reflector touching the screws due to a short dont be its plastic :)

And what I would do so you can test for yourself is slowly cut more off the base of the reflector(vertex) and test it until it will focus. You will be able to focus it, but the opening will have to be bigger.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
No the screws do not stick out higher then the emitter dome. The problem is most heatsinks for the SST-50, P7 etc, have a part in the center that sticks up into the reflector. This is a flat heatsink with a star mounted SST-50. As you can imagine when you press the stock cut down mag reflector, it does not fully surround the SST-50 so the beam is very poor.

When the heatsink has the SST-50 on a pedestal it focuses good with stock and other KD or DX reflectors. I myself do not like the pedestal and think the flat heatsinks work better at heat transfer. In fact, I am doing some recessed ones for my Mag builds but the heatsinks are still not ready yet.:shakehead (machinist is busy).

Anyhow; I removed the dome on the SST-50 on my 2D Mag. Now; it focuses when the reflector and LED are the same as if it was on a flat heatsink not raised pedestal type. The lux goes way up about 3x more throw with 20~25% less OTF lumens. If you cant get it to focus try an optic made for the XR-E.

I have seen some Surefire L1 builds with SST-50 behind the stock TiR optic and they focus and give great lumens to boot.

bigC

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
SKU 18841. It needs a bit of griding down to fit properly in the mag. Like the threads near the top need grinding down. If you have a bench grinder its really fast and easy. If not... some files and sandpaper will do just fine but take a lot longer.

I ordered several more for more SST-50 mods.