Any Stainless Steel flashlights?

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
I recently picked up a Garrity 2D Stainless Steel light for $12 at Wal-Mart. Aside from the plastic tailcap and largly plastic bezel I like it quite a bit. It's also created an urge to own a completly steel light, but I haven't had any luck finding one. Something about steel just appeals to me. Does a completly steel flashlight exist? Is there a reason aluminum is used so much more then steel for flashlight construction?

Just found this via Google nice looking light Unfortunatley doesn't really have any info on the light. Anyone own one?

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 @ garrity SST 2AA lights that have been bored out a little so that SF P90 L/A's can be installed and driven with 3 @ CR123's. (The LA's have to be turned down a little to fit.)

This light depends upon electrical transmission through the SST body of the light. The steel body has higher electrical resistance than aluminum. For this reason, these two lights are just slightly dimmer than a P90 when run in a SF aluminum body.

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
lemlux said:
This light depends upon electrical transmission through the SST body of the light. The steel body has higher electrical resistance than aluminum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess that's why there aren't many stainless steel lights out there in addition to the extra weight. Although weight has never really mattered to me, it seems rather important to some.

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
Asking why flashlights aren't made of steel would be similar asking why cars aren't made of iron. Aluminum has a much higher stiffness-to-weight ratio, and can be easily and cheaply machined into different shapes and sizes. Aluminum has less resistance, and has properties in itself that are superior to steel, like resistance to corrosion. The problem with aluminum is that it is softer and more brittle, so it wouldn't be good for knives or...hammers...

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
TheFlashlight:

Good luck. I am also a fan of STAINLESS steel. Only ever found ONE full SS light - and it is JUNK. (looks similar to - not not exactly like the one in the photo)

Stainless

soloco

Enlightened
One problem with those Garrity SS lights, the switch really sucks. I've had to rebuild mine twice in my first week of owning the 4AA SS.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
the V2-16Chip is a nice light, well built and very bright albeit a litte on the expensive side ...
bernhard

Gman

Enlightened
Hey Stainless, I hear ya. I like the stuff too although I'm more a fan of Ti these days. I have one of those Canon Powershot 110 digital cameras in SS. I also own two stainless steel cars, they're things of beauty but a real pain to keep clean.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
the only steel lights i know of are those led lenser lights..

but could you tell me a li'l bit about the 2d garrity light you got? is it the one with the xenon bulb?

B@rt

Flashaholic
The LedLenser lights are made of brass with a powder-coated finish. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
jmm stripped a V12 :
fc912df2.jpg

You can read more about the LedLensers here . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
Yes it is the one with a xenon bulb. The bulb is a "Philips Hpx22 2.2 volt .61 amp". Garrity Steelbeam
It's not too bad for a $12 light, it has a narrow beam and will throw a small spot quite a distance. The bulb holder isn't all that great, it's just a small post which you shove the bulb into. I had to pry the bulb out the first couple of times but now I can just pull it out (I've developed a habit of moving my EverLeds from one light to another several times a day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif). Gives a fairly nice beam with the EverLed btw. It's not even remotely waterproof, doubt it would handle more then a light rain. The bezel end is almost completely plastic and the tailcap is plastic, reflector is plastic and of course the lens is plastic as well. There's also a 3D version made but I haven't seen it in Wal-Mart. It sure does look and feel nice though. That steel is just perty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Oh it also has a battery carrier for some reason, guess it rattles a little less.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have a Garrity 2AA SS light with a spring loaded "lockout" tailcap switch - which "unlocked" all by itself a few times - until I finally took the batteries out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Gman:
Are those DeLorans you have? Possible to post a photo or two?

Gman

Enlightened
Yes, they are. Brushed 304 SS all around. One is a project car but the other is pristine. I don't have a site to post photos but I'll be glad to send you a few directly. And no, nothing happens at 88 mph, there is no Flux Capacitor, it doesn't suck up the white line on the road, on and on, I've heard them all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Btw, the I.D. on those AA Garrities are big enough to take 123s, they're great for mods. Hard to find the little buggers these days though.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
hey Bart, almost all LedLensers are Brass, but the V6 and the V2-16Chip are made of steel, trust me.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard