LED Turbo heads

neoseikan

Enlightened
How many LED turbo heads in the world now?
What are they designed for? for throw? or something else?
Can it be a topic worth talking about?

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few choices for both "mini" turbo heads and "max" turbo heads....

Mini: Quark, Lumens Factory, SureFire

Max: Lumens Factory, SolarForce, Surefire, FiveMega [incan I know but I like his gear]

Modified: some of the UF "century" series [UF; 400, 500, 600 etc]

I'd put them all in the "throw" camp but thats JMO

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Quite a few.

And the majority of aftermarket turboheads seem geared more for flood than throw.

artec540

Enlightened

Hi Neoseikan

There's turbohead for the Lumapower D Mini VX (definitely for throw) and another by Solarforce used with a variety of L2 hosts (also for throw). I think there's also one by Lumapower for use with their "Transformer". I have the first one on order and the second one in hand.

I look forward to comparing the Solarforce with my Legend when it gets here..... any day!

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast

They are all designed for throw. Whats the point of a big head if you want flood? Throw is increased with bigger reflectors. If you want flood, then go with a smaller reflector. I own the Turboforce from LP and the Masterpiece Pro 1 from Solarforce. They are two of the best throwers around. The Tiablo A10 is a thrower as well. The LP is tops now for throw. Of course thats because it's bigger. Reflectors are naturally getting bigger to maintain throw with the larger LED dies which are bigger, and require a larger reflector to collimate them.

Last edited:

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are all designed for throw. Whats the point of a big head if you want flood? Throw is increased with bigger reflectors. If you want flood, then go with a smaller reflector. I own the Turboforce from LP and the Masterpiece Pro 1 from Solarforce. They are two of the best throwers around. The Tiablo A10 is a thrower as well. The LP is tops now for throw. Of course thats because it's bigger. Reflectors are naturally getting bigger to maintain throw with the larger LED dies which are bigger, and require a larger reflector to collimate them.

In the traditional sense, I would agree that throw is what a turbo head is for. Nowadays, I see a big head as an opportunity for multi-emitter setups to efficiently increase light output as far as LEDs are concerned.

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another take on the turbo head idea. I would prefer a "lego" turbo head system. That is; the light engine stays in the host, you remove the head/reflector and attach the turbo head/reflector.

I know that some UF lights do that but they don't really interchange, the head assembly threads and LE's aren't standardized.

What I'd like to see is a P60 / SF "C" thread derivative system or something similar that uses a standardized thread / light engine configuration.

You could start w/ a "default" P60 sized reflector/head, then add a 50 mm [M@G size] head/reflector assembly, or a 30mm "M60W" style wide TIR optic, etc. etc.... And yes such a stardard could limit multi-emitter configurations from such a system.... maybe.

Last edited: