request for recommendation

S

Skeeter

I am not knowledgeable about high end flashlights, so I am hoping someone on this forum can point me in the right direction. I have a need for a light with the following features. Can you recommend a make and model to look at?

Wide, even flood pattern or focusable to a wide flood pattern. Light blue beam that closely matches color of sunlight or camera flash. As bright as possible. Can be rechargeable or replaceable batteries so long as you can get at least a couple of hours run time before dimming. Prefer a one piece unit, not a spotlight with a separate 12v battery pack. Lantern style acceptable.

Size15's

Flashaholic
There are two I think of:

LC100 Underwater Kinetics Light Cannon 100

X990 McCulloch X990

Not sure about the X990 runtime though (although you do get two batteries I believe)

Al

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
McCulloch x990 comes with two batteries. Stated run time is 70 minutes per battery. Light does not dim (in my opinion) as battery wears down--the light just starts to flash on and off when it is time to change the battery.

If I may be so nosy, what is the intended use of the light(s)?

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Important questions......how much are you willing to spend?
how big are you willing to accept? or..how small? weight limit? There are some lights that need two strong men and a boy to carry around. light up a room or something half a mile away? want to carry in your pocket? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

S

Skeeter

Size15s,
The X990 looks great but is probably overkill for our needs. We do not need to through a beam all that far.
The LC100 with the wide angle filters will probably work fine. I would have never thought to look for dive lights though. Thanks.

Roy,
price is not an issue, but portability is.

Flashfan,
Since you asked, I work as a guide for a hunting lodge. The light is to be used for afterhours game recovery. We need something that yields a broad blue white beam that will light a large area of ground and permit true colors such as red to be seen. The orange color of incandescent bulbs hide color. Coleman lanterns work well, but present some fire risk. If this offends anyone who is sensitive to hunting, I appologize.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
No problem....I've helped track a few deer myself.

Take a look in the "Spotlight" and "HID" forums. Those are the home of the bigboys...1.5 million cp and up!

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sotto, I think he is referring to Coleman Gas/Propane type lanterns, not the flourescent ones (except in unusual accidents). Btw, all incandescants pose a fire risk, though variable.

There are more LED lights, than just the coin cell keychain types. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Consider the Lightwave 3000 (3C), Lightwave 4000 (3D), Some of the Tektites, maybe even a Luxeon Star LED light. Even the Inova X5T (white) may do the job.

Point: White LEDs give far truer color rendition than incandescant, except for flourescent.