Looking for a basic AA light - Two modes

TFin04

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

I have a need for a single AA cell light as a spare for my car bag. I don't want or need strobe, multiple low levels, or anything like that. I find them of little use and end up in a mode I don't want.

Looking for a light with reasonable high beam, say 60-80 lumens, and a low beam around 10-20. I need to be able to get to the low beam before the high. A pocket clip would be cool but not necessary.

So far I think the Fenix L1T is winning out, only because it's the only single cell AA I can find with only two modes.

Are there others I should be considering?

arnoldr

Newly Enlightened
I don't have one but I think the Quark AA (Tactical UI) fits the bill perfectly. 2 modes programmable to your lum preference. It has strobe/sos but you don't need to use it. A little more $ than the L1T but it's more current. I have the L2T v2.0 myself, and just purchased the L1D body to go with it.

arnold r.

SirJohn

Newly Enlightened
Eagletac P10A would be two-mode, but the low might be a little higher than what you want.

entoptics

Enlightened
It's 3 mode, but the iTP EOS A2 is a pretty close fit for what you're after.

Extremely simple twisty switch, small size, and best of all, CHEAP at ~$25.

The modes are low (1.5 lmns) - med (18 lmns) - high (80 lmns), and are simply accessed by repeatedly tightening/loosening the head. For car duty, you might actually come to like the first low mode, as it's is great for reading and close work without blasting your dark vision. Even if you don't like it, you can get to medium from off in a heartbeat with a quick double twist.

LightningRod

Newly Enlightened
I have the NDI and L1T v2.0. The NDI has a higher high and lower low than the L1T, also less slippery. It costs more though.

SixM

Newly Enlightened
Quark AA Tactical, you can set it up for 22 and 85 lumens, two levels only. If the need arises where you may need to set it up differently, you'll have that option, it's quick and easy to change once your familiar with it.
It has a pocket clip, runs of a single AA, or a lithuim-ion 14500.
Has a clicky switch,and the ability to lego with other 4/7s lights/parts, well worth the extra $10 over the Fenix IMO.

Xak

Enlightened
Quark AA tactical. Has the ability to set up your lumen preference in 2 modes: tight head, loose head. You can set the tight or loose mode to whatever brightness you want. It will be simple for anyone to use. If you suddenly have the need for strobe, beacon, SOS, etc. you can program them in at that time, but they won't get in the way of normal usage. Once you set the modes for tight and loose bezel they are set. Period. You turn it on and off with a tail button, and high or low (depending on your preference by leaving the head tight or loose). You can give this light to a lay-person and they will be able to use the high and low no problem with the simplest instructions, i.e, "this button turns it on and off, twist the head for high and low". Easy.

The Quarks have the new XP-G LED. Very bright (if you want), more efficient than older LEDs. I own a couple of these and they are bullet proof. Very strong, high quality design.

BarryG

Enlightened
Look at the NDI. I had one. 2 modes, max and user defined. hidden strobe if you need it. takes aa or 14500. Wish I had it back.

Barry

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Kinda sounds like the EZAA would meet your needs. Two levels, 10-15 on low, and at least 100 on high. Simple UI and very pocketable.

Geoff

Per Arne

Enlightened
Are there any singel AA LED lights with blue body, like Preon 1 and 2 ?
Thanks,

PA

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also recommending Quark AA Tactical. Can be setup exactly the way you want but is more versatile than the L1T.