Flashlight For an Old Guy

GrnXnham

Enlightened
Okay, here's the deal.

I got my dad (really old guy) a Fenix L2P a few years back. That's right--an ANCIENT Fenix L2P when they were new. How many years ago was that? I think it has on and off and puts out about 40 lumens.

He has been thrilled with it and takes it with him everywhere. Then recently I compared my Fenix LD10 to his light and he was impressed that a 1AA light was brighter than his 2AA light. Then while he was playing with the LD10, he accidentally soft-pressed the switch and the light went to strobe mode. He said something like "what the hell is this carp??" Then he was less impressed with the LD10.

I'd like to buy him the brightest 1AA or 2AA light that I can find to replace his L2P. The problem is that the brighter the light, the more complex the different modes are. My dad (did I mention that he is an old guy) wants a light that is super bright, uses AA batteries, and just turns on and off. He might be able to handle a HIGH and LOW for modes but that is about it. No worthless strobe or SOS modes that will accidentally come on and confuse him. I can't imagine him trying to figure out the TK40.

I can't find a light like this. The Fenix E20 is simple on and off but not very bright. The LD20 is much brighter but has the complex modes. So Fenix is pretty much out. Who else makes a quality light that takes AA batteries (preferably alkaline) and is very bright (for a AA light) and is simple on and off or at least is simpler than any of the lights where you "soft touch" or double click the on/off switch to change modes.

flip

Enlightened
I think Solarforce has a SF 6P style light that takes 2 AA batteries. They have low voltage drop-ins for that setup. I'm not sure if they are 1 level or multi-level.

bansuri

Enlightened
You can get a great price on a 4Sevens Quark MiNi AA with your CPF discount(CPF8) and it's a great AA light. It has useful strobe modes but they're hidden away and you have to take specific steps to get to them.
It's a twisty so there's no switch to give out.
Small.
The low modes may appeal to his frugality, (I'm assuming here because I probably count as old), you might have enough left to get him some guilt-free eneloops and a charger.
Or you could just grab an Inova from Target.
Maratac AA would be a win also.

Last edited:

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak El Capitan. Medium beam, single power level (#8 for max). And how about polished Brass? Or maybe HAIII with a SS head? Simple twisty with a keychain post, or twisty with a momentary button?

P1010620.jpg

AA Peak El Capitan

entoptics

Enlightened
If a clicky is mandatory, I believe he'd be astonished by the Quark AA Tactical (you program it for his preference), or the EagleTac P20A2 MKII or P20A MKII.

These lights are a simple on off clicky, but by twisting the head tight you get "Turbo" heart of the Sun brightness, and with the head slightly loosened you get a secondary mode. It's a dead simple way to get two modes.

The secondary mode for Eagle Tac is "medium" and for the Quark AA Tactical it's whatever of 4 modes you choose when you program it (4 possibilities from VERY DIM to nearly Turbo)

If clicky isn't mandatory, and a head twisty switch is on the table, there's a billion good choices. iTP EOS A2, Quark Minis, Fenix LD15, and several others.

DonK

Enlightened
Peak El Capitan. Medium beam, single power level (#8 for max). And how about polished Brass? Or maybe HAIII with a SS head? Simple twisty with a keychain post, or twisty with a momentary button?

P1010620.jpg

AA Peak El Capitan​

These look neat, who sells them ?

carrot

Flashaholic
The Quark Tactical is a good choice. Once you program it, it will never forget the mode choices (two levels, one when the bezel is tightened and another when the bezel is loosened) even if you change the batteries, and it is almost impossible to accidentally reprogram it.

LilKevin715

Enlightened
Are there any budget considerations? As others have mentioned a Quark AA2 tactical might fit the bill. Another consideration if cost is a factor is a Terralux Lightstar 220 that has two modes of about 170 high/30 low OTF for around $25-30.

electrothump

Enlightened
Okay, here's the deal.

I got my dad (really old guy) a Fenix L2P a few years back. That's right--an ANCIENT Fenix L2P when they were new. How many years ago was that? I think it has on and off and puts out about 40 lumens.

He has been thrilled with it and takes it with him everywhere. Then recently I compared my Fenix LD10 to his light and he was impressed that a 1AA light was brighter than his 2AA light. Then while he was playing with the LD10, he accidentally soft-pressed the switch and the light went to strobe mode. He said something like "what the hell is this carp??" Then he was less impressed with the LD10.

I'd like to buy him the brightest 1AA or 2AA light that I can find to replace his L2P. The problem is that the brighter the light, the more complex the different modes are. My dad (did I mention that he is an old guy) wants a light that is super bright, uses AA batteries, and just turns on and off. He might be able to handle a HIGH and LOW for modes but that is about it. No worthless strobe or SOS modes that will accidentally come on and confuse him. I can't imagine him trying to figure out the TK40.

I can't find a light like this. The Fenix E20 is simple on and off but not very bright. The LD20 is much brighter but has the complex modes. So Fenix is pretty much out. Who else makes a quality light that takes AA batteries (preferably alkaline) and is very bright (for a AA light) and is simple on and off or at least is simpler than any of the lights where you "soft touch" or double click the on/off switch to change modes.

Get your dad a Maxa Beam. I'm saying that in jest. As my dad got older, and weaker he would have rigged a bracket to hold the MB to his cane. I really wish that dad could have seen the output of the new lights on the market. He was a flashaholic, when flashaholics were not cool. I think it's a genetic thing.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd get him the Eagletac P20A2 MKII it has the high/general mode and to change them all he need do is tighten or loosen the head. It does have low/strobe/sos/beacon but to get to them you need to tighten and loosen the head pretty quickly and if he does find himself in these unwanted modes all you have to do is turn the light off and on and it resets back to the normal modes.

This light on max is ~230 lumen real OTF so he should be really impressed with the output and it sounds like he really likes the bright stuff. You get the holster and the rubber tailcap shroud you can use for tail standing.

http://www.eagletac-usa.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-4-6862

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe of use to you.I have a very simple 120 Lumens running on single AA cell,simply click on click off from CPC here in the UK.No other modes,simple and works fine,just checked there web site and they seem to offer export sales.

Super bright LED torches
Shock, dust and weather proof
Quality LED with 100,000 hour lifespan
Aircraft grade Aluminium
Tailcap on/off switch
Cross-hatch decorated handle for secure grip
Lightweight and compact
Requires 1 x AA battery (not supplied)
Supplied with lanyard
Black or red colour choice

Technical Data
Light source CREE XR-E LED x 1
Beam Colour White
Lumens 120
Range 100m
Dimensions (Lx⌀) 94x20mm
Weight 36.7g

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/level5/module.jsp?moduleId=cpc/517721.xml

etherealshade

Enlightened
Consider a L2T also. Not as fancy as some suggestions here, but it's a simple 2xAA with two modes (150ish and 15ish lumens) in a body he will already be familiar with. They're pretty good value as well.

traderdell

Newly Enlightened
From another "Old Guy" the Peaks are some of my favorite lights. They're bright, easy to use and are very well built. I always carry at least one just so I can take it out of my pocket and fondle it :)

kaj

Newly Enlightened
Consider a L2T also. Not as fancy as some suggestions here, but it's a simple 2xAA with two modes (150ish and 15ish lumens) in a body he will already be familiar with. They're pretty good value as well.

+1 on the Fenix L2T, a good choice.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I understood correctly, the problem of your dad would be with the most common UIs.
Therefore I suggest to stay away from head-twist / tailcap presses interfaced lights, and orient yourself toward ring controlled lights.
A control ring is the most natural and intuitive interface for a light, requiring a zero learning time even from the most inexperienced person. It is not widespread used because of its cost, I believe.
My suggestion is a JetBeam RRT-0.
It works with a single AA producing 180 lumens, and uses a control ring with no annoying SOS-strobe modes. Your dad would be able to use it proficiently in about no time.

Anthony

swsccassidy

Newly Enlightened
How about an EagleTac P100A2? On and off clicky and two modes by tightening/loosening the head. Dead simple to operate. With rechargeables, I can get at least an hour on high before I notice a drop off (something like 190 lumens), 7-8 on medium (55 lumens). Uses primaries or rechargeables just fine, comes with a wrist lanyard and holster. I'm sure one of the dealers on here has some sort of CPF coupon code to take a few bucks off the $39 price tag too.

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
Fenix TK20 would be a good choice. It's brighter than the lumens would suggest due to the higher lux numbers in the hot spot.

brainy1000

Newly Enlightened
My choices would be Fenix E20 or Romisen RC-N3 Q5.
As you mentioned that E20 is not very bright (it's not my opinion) the Romisen is a good choice. It comes with an extension tube for use with 2 AAs. Without this tube can be used with 1 CR123A. Romisen can be purchased for about $23. This model has also a "glow in the dark" cap (green), which can be very useful, also a clip, and anti-rolling design.
I own both lights and they have served me very well.
Hope this helps!

PS.: there is this very useful review of Romisen RC-N3 Q5 here on CPF: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/202569

Last edited: