Dare to compare? Ra Clicky vs. McGizmo Haiku

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own a couple Clickies but I've never owned a McGizmo. I think we all (current and previous Clicky owners) can agree that the HDS/Ra Clicky is about as good as it gets for a versatile EDC light but I'm curious where and how the Haiku stacks up to the Ra? So anyone who has or does own both would you care to chime in? How would you compare the two lights to each other? What models do you own to make the comparison? This isn't a post meant to claim one is "better" than the other. I only want to see what the differences are and where each fits into a EDC rotation if someone "ME" were looking to own both. BTW pictures of the two together are a welcome asset in this comparison! :thumbsup:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, the Clicky wins except in the pride of ownership and the aesthetic areas.

I highly recommend McGizmo's lights because there are few lights that have the kind of appeal that his light do... maybe Data's titanium Spy's.

If you are looking for a competitor to the Clicky or as it is now known as the HDS EDC Executive, I don't think that you will find its equal in terms of performance and ruggedness. If you are looking for a light that will give you pride of ownership like few others and top notch performance to boot, Don's lights will not let you down.

I highly recommend that you drop one of Don's lights in your pocket and see what you think for yourself... there is a reason that they are so highly sought after and why people still pay heavy premiums for lights that he is no longer producing... but you have to own one to understand.

Good luck.

carrot

Flashaholic
To me the Clicky represents a wonderful light and certainly one I'd be happy to carry if I did not own a McGizmo. However, I would always pick a McGizmo over a Clicky for several reasons, and you shouldn't believe for a moment that I'm exaggerating... these opinions come from nearly half a decade of McGizmo EDC:

+ Don's pocket clip is the best in the world, in both retention, carry comfort and ergonomics
+ Don's reflectors are the best in the world, the smoothest and most balanced
+ KISS (keep it simple, ) UI
+ perfect ergonomics for comfortable use over both short and long periods

HDS and McGizmo tie for me in several areas:
= durability... while HDS is unquestionably designed to be durable, the McGizmo certainly holds its own, I would claim them to be more so than Surefire thanks to thick body walls and titanium construction
= output... neither claim to be the brightest, but both are sufficiently bright
= converters... Don always picks some of the best converters in the business to use in his lights... Henry MAKES some of the best converters in the business to use in his lights

McGizmo fails in some areas:
- expensive
- limited, so may be hard to replace
- theoretically less versatility (but honestly two or three modes have always been enough for me)

My latest, most comprehensive opinion on McGizmo lights is here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3352457&postcount=155

As far as I'm concerned, a McGizmo is the best EDC money can buy.

As far as the Spy007 is concerned... add a pocket clip and perhaps even better water resistance and maybe it can contest McGizmo for my pockets. No offense to Data of course, whom I respect most highly out of anyone I've ever met.

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carrot's post is quite complete... :thumbsup:

For me, the Clicky has one big advantage, it's psychological however : I dare put the Clicky in my pocket and take it out. I can't help it, but the McGizmo are still jewel lights for me, whatever Don says, he's right, they are users, they can take it. The same applies to the Clicky Titanium btw, the initial idea was to stick it in my pocket, but once I had it and cherished it, the 170Cn was still taken... :shrug:

You should definetely get a McGizmo, how about a Haiku, and see for yourself. The Clicky and the Haiku are both universal lights, perfect EDC. Take the Clicky to work and the Haiku to where it doesn't get that tough! :wave:

jblackwood

Enlightened
I have two Lunasol 20s and one RA Clicky high CRI as well as an 85Tr RA Twisty (the one with the red low). Strangely enough, I got the RA Twisty and the Lunasol right at the end of their availability through non-CPFMP channels. I haven't regretted either purchase and I carry my Lunasol every day.

My vote is for the Lunasol 20, or for McGizmo lights in general. In my case, there's just no substitute for the incredibly wide low which can only be created by the three LEDs and the shallow part of the reflector which comes into play in low mode. Sure the high CRI Clicky was more useful when we had to choose new carpet for our rental and the showroom had horrible lighting (they replaced spot lights that were 25 feet up with non-reflector spiral eco lights . . . ugh!!!!), but that's the only time I've really HAD to bring the clicky along because it did something the Lunasol couldn't. Sometimes I switch them up for kicks, but that's not too often and even in the aforementioned situtation, the beam profile wasn't even enough to get a GREAT sense of color for the task.

That being said, I'm currently waiting for Henry to hit the 200 lumen mark on a regular basis. Yes, I know some of you have some HDS lights that are rated 200 lumens, bully for you. I've never been quick enough to snag one myself, though. When he does, I'll be getting one with a clip. It's not as nice as the McGizmo clip (heya Carrot!), but much better than the half constrictor knot I was using. :huh:

jblackwood

Enlightened
Oh yes, both my HDS lights have blemishes in the incredibly hard anodizing (don't ask) and as a result, I have to make sure those bare Al parts don't stay too wet for too long. That's the nice thing about Don's Ti lights. They may cost more up front, but the upkeep is much less since you can't oxidize Ti outside of a special chemical bath and some electrical current, if you have either of those things laying about the house. :whistle:

Again, a little rust isn't going to keep the HDS lights from working, but I carry my EDCs in my pocket . . . and I don't want rust stains on my pants! :thumbsup:

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like McGizmos - show me yours.....
Marty_Feldmans_Granddaughter.jpg

Last edited:

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
Post #3 pretty much summed it up but personally the Ra has a very slight edge. I own 2 Mcgizmo lights & 1 "Clicky" which I do not plan to get rid of because I love them so much. In a way it's kinda unfair to compare the two. They are both 2 different breed of animals and both excel in their own niche:shrug:.

Now if they could combine forces for a limited collaboration light:thinking:

:)

higbvuyb

Newly Enlightened
Oh yes, both my HDS lights have blemishes in the incredibly hard anodizing (don't ask) and as a result, I have to make sure those bare Al parts don't stay too wet for too long. That's the nice thing about Don's Ti lights. They may cost more up front, but the upkeep is much less since you can't oxidize Ti outside of a special chemical bath and some electrical current, if you have either of those things laying about the house.
AFAIK aluminium forms a relatively strong oxide coating that prevents further oxidation rather than rusting in flakes that peel off like iron does.
Hence, you don't need to worry about aluminium getting wet.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I had both a Haiku and Sundrop for a short period and was immediately staggered by their perfection, but was not able to fall in love with them.

This will always be a personal preference comparison and I can see how the Haiku would in my estimation be the absolutely best light for many not needing an extremely low level. However, there's another place the Clicky has me which has to do with one of my most important choosing points (just made that up!), and that is the smoother edges on the outside of the flood - I like the Ra/HDS beam pattern better.

I may have another McGizmo light in the future, but I'll never sell my Ti Clicky!

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Henk_Lu, ever seen my scraped up PD-S? :D

Yep, I have actually seen it. The living proof that the McGizmos can take it hard, I read other stories of well-used ones, that's why I say it's psychological... :candle:

Best part is, if you have the necessary tools and the skills, you can bring it back to a near original state! :thumbsup:

stoli67

Enlightened
My haiku xp-G Warm arrived today. I have an RA clicky CRI and am waiting on a Titanium one to arrive ....

Now it just needs to get dark!

Andrew

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
For me the versatility of the Clicky makes it the best EDC. I can appreciate the craftsmanship that has gone into the Haiku, but the range and "customability" of the Clicky makes it more useful. What other light out there will allow me to turn the light on at 0.07 lumens so that I don't blind myself on those late night bathroom trips, have another 3 levels customizable up to 170lumens, and has a tactical strobe to deter angry dogs when I go for a jog ? I have no idea what the low of the Haiku is rated at, but I imagine it would still be too bright for my needs. The low low of the Clicky is my most used level.

The Clicky is the light for most situations and makes it the 2nd most perfect EDC. The most perfect EDC would be the Ti Clicky in the AlTiN coating !!!! :clap:

Bass

Enlightened
carrots post #3 sums it up really.

Both are great lights but IMO Don's lights take it.

One thing with Don is that his lights tend to be 'niche' - UV, high CRI, Ti etc and he is always pushing the envelope on new designs and function. I really like that. This makes McGizmos that better lights IMO.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mechanical engineering award goes to Don (McGizmo).

Electrical engineering award goes to Henry (HDS/Ra).

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own a McGizmo light, but I am the proud owner of an HDS Clicky as well as the past owner of an Ra Twisty and the future owner of a high CRI Clicky. So, as to whether my opinion counts is surely up for judgement.

But I just want to contribute this...

I purchased my Twisty because of this photo alone. Sure, I did the research about the light itself, but that photo is what put me over the edge. Now, like an idiot, I traded that Twisty for a SF L1 that I soon sold in the Marketplace and I've tried to get that original Twisty back, but to no avail.

I have carried my Clicky with me every day since I bought it and now have a high CRI on the way.

FOR ME, the fact that I can essentially do whatever the heck I want to this light and know what the end result will be is what keeps it in my pocket every day.

FOR ME, even thinking about throwing a titanium light up in the air 20 times and letting it hit the pavement simply makes me cringe. Doing that with my Clicky? Old hat. I did that very thing with my Twisty when I was showing a salesman at work how bombproof the light actually was. The resulting scratches and dinged bezel served as a reminder as to what that light was capable of.

There is NO doubt in my mind whatsoever that any McGizmo light is totally and completely capable of having the same thing done to it - and coming out still working perfectly. And though there are some that have posted here that their McGizmo's are less than shelf queens, I have large amounts of doubt that anybody simply takes their $400+ flashlight and throws it up on the air on many occassions to prove to anybody that their light is bombproof. Why? Simply because of the cost.

Sure, there are many that carry their McGizmo's every single day. They would have nothing else in their pocket. But they also wouldn't throw that $400 thing of beauty against the wall - just because.

I would, and have done so with both my Twisty and my Clicky.

And that alone is why the Ra/HDS light is the better light FOR ME.