Fenix TK40 Simple Fix

Gazan869

Newly Enlightened
I purchased my TK40 in October of 2009 and have been using it for work (I am Law Enforcement and work exclusively on nights). About three weeks ago, I was working a DUI checkpoint when my light quit working. A co-worker also had a TK40 (I bought mine after seeing his – Flashlight envy!!) and I used his to determine that the problem with my light was the battery holder (We swapped parts to figure out what worked and what didn't). I ordered a new holder to the tune of just over $50.00. :mad: Then last night, my co-worker's light quit. We did the same thing as before, swapping parts to narrow down the problem. Again it was the battery holder. As he was trying the new parts, I started to fiddle with my non-working battery holder when I noticed the center post was loose. It spun as I messed with it. I found that by turning it (counter-clockwise with the holder being held upright and the contact terminals up) it tightened. I put the batteries back in it and re-assembled my light. Voila! It now works.:twothumbs I did the same with my co-worker's light and his is working again. I've since put a drop of loc-tite on the center post where it connects with the upper end. Hopefully this will keep it from coming undone.
Anyway, should your TK40 quit working, try this fix before calling the company and spending the cash for new parts.

BRO

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the feed back. I just ordered a Tk-45 and will inspect the battery holder well prior using it . I know the TK-45 is a little different but still plastic and worth remembering your experience.

Colorblinded

Enlightened
Interesting, and good info. Battery holders always make me a bit nervous but it seemed like I had heard pretty good things about the ones in the TK40. I know someone who is getting one of these so I will pass this info along.

fishinfool

Enlightened
I purchased my TK40 in October of 2009 and have been using it for work (I am Law Enforcement and work exclusively on nights). About three weeks ago, I was working a DUI checkpoint when my light quit working. A co-worker also had a TK40 (I bought mine after seeing his – Flashlight envy!!) and I used his to determine that the problem with my light was the battery holder (We swapped parts to figure out what worked and what didn't). I ordered a new holder to the tune of just over $50.00. :mad: Then last night, my co-worker's light quit. We did the same thing as before, swapping parts to narrow down the problem. Again it was the battery holder. As he was trying the new parts, I started to fiddle with my non-working battery holder when I noticed the center post was loose. It spun as I messed with it. I found that by turning it (counter-clockwise with the holder being held upright and the contact terminals up) it tightened. I put the batteries back in it and re-assembled my light. Voila! It now works.:twothumbs I did the same with my co-worker's light and his is working again. I've since put a drop of loc-tite on the center post where it connects with the upper end. Hopefully this will keep it from coming undone.
Anyway, should your TK40 quit working, try this fix before calling the company and spending the cash for new parts.

First of all, Aloha and welcome to CPF! :wave:

I just now took my tk40 apart just to check and it was fine but thanks for that info because it might come in handy someday. :thumbsup:

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, Gazan869 - that is a useful first post! :)

There has been a fair amount of comment from members wondering about whether the TK40 battery holder is robust enough, and your post is helpful.

Gazan869

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome.

After using m Fenix for the last 11 months or so, I kind of felt lost when I had to switch back to my old Streamlight SL-20's. I used to think they were the best thing out there until I got my Fenix. I use the "high power" strobe to get people's attention when I have to direct traffic. I keep wondering if I'm going to cause someone to have a seizure from it, tho. :naughty:

Hellie112

Newly Enlightened
I had the same problem, bought my fenix from ebay around the same time you did.. problem started with flickering of the light..

I am wondering if the fenix tk45 battery holder has the same problem.. anyway nice to share this info with us.

another problem what I had was when I dropped the light and it wouldn't turn on anymore..

the only way to fix this was using the multimeter and measure the head for ohms... I had this problem twice..

maybe does somebody know what the theorie behind this problem..

Last edited:

QED2

Newly Enlightened
I returned my TK40 for service after it would only go to low mode. They sent it back and then the light would go off if you "jiggled" it enough. Back it went and they said the battery holder was broke. This may have been the same issue you had fixed. I'll check it if I see the issue arise again.