Is SunwayLED's M40A the 4xAA light we've been waiting for?

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never been drawn to the 6xAA and 8xAA monsters; inserting, removing, and charging so many cells seems like more trouble than its worth. But very soon, SunwayLED will launch its M40A, a compact, 500-lumen regulated LED light that uses just 4 AAs. That's 4AAs, the same number typically sold in a drugstore pack, carried in a spares case, charged in a charger.

Regulated from 3.3 to 7 volts, the M40a even lets you use nickel-zinc AAs, which deliver about 1.6V to 1.75V each.

Despite its high price ($140+), I predict the M40A will be a runaway hit. What do you think?

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am also looking at the M40A closely. On paper, it sure looks like a great light but I'm anxiously awaiting some CPF member reviews first. One thing that could be its Achilles' heel is its use of the Cree MC-E LED. If it doesn't have a well designed reflector, it could have a big dark spot in the center of its beam, a problem that plagues the Jetbeam M1X, another MC-E light. It can be fixed though, as the Fenix TK30 and TK40 have shown.

We'll see though, but it is nice to have another option to choose from.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never been drawn to the 6xAA and 8xAA monsters; inserting, removing, and charging so many cells seems like more trouble than its worth. But very soon, SunwayLED will launch its M40A, a compact, 500-lumen regulated LED light that uses just 4 AAs. That's 4AAs, the same number typically sold in a drugstore pack, carried in a spares case, charged in a charger.

Regulated from 3.3 to 7 volts, the M40a even lets you use nickel-zinc AAs, which deliver about 1.6V to 1.75V each.

Despite its high price ($140+), I predict the M40A will be a runaway hit. What do you think?

I agree with you. Long time I have wanted such a flashlight of the new regulated LED-technology. 4AA is a missing and desirable flashlight configuration.

Regards, Patric

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Colorblinded got one, and he'll post a review soon. He mentioned that he was impressed by its beam, so I look forward to seeing his thoughts and pictures.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Looks like a winner for those who have standardized on AA cells, and really missed out on some powerful CR123-based lights.

But how's the quality? Is Sunway comparable to Fenix and Quark, or closer to DX?

Colorblinded

Enlightened
Colorblinded got one, and he'll post a review soon. He mentioned that he was impressed by its beam, so I look forward to seeing his thoughts and pictures.
So far I'm still impressed. Shine it on your hand just in front of the light and there's a big donut hole. As you shine it further and further away the donut sort of starts to invert and then disappears by around five or so feet I'd guesstimate. In normal use I can't imagine ever noticing because at distance I can't see anything unusual at all.

Looks like a winner for those who have standardized on AA cells, and really missed out on some powerful CR123-based lights.
Unfortunately (or fortunately) AAs are standard for me because in my camera bag I am not interested in carrying more battery types than is necessary. The M40A intrigued me because it eats 4AA batteries, just like one of my portable flash units and I already have Eneloops and other rechargeables for those. Introducing CR123s would be quite inconvenient and if I were to introduce an additional battery type it would be 18650s going in my dream light: high output, 4.5-5K CCT and high CRI. I "hate" primaries with a passion, as I hate throwing away spent batteries as often as that could dictate however I do have CR123 primaries which I use in a couple emergency lights (ex: Surefire E2e in my car's glovebox).

But how's the quality? Is Sunway comparable to Fenix and Quark, or closer to DX?
In short: very good.

For fun, here's a photo I took of it:
4842204570_47fdb4a2be_b.jpg

The full long answer will wait for later but I'd rate it closer to Fenix which IMO is better than Quark quality.

KuKu427

Enlightened
I got a chance to handle one tonight.
The anno on that light is one of the best I have ever seen on a flashlight. The ring feels very nice too but could have stronger detents. I don't see any donut holes at 6 feet. Running on 4 L91s it didn't seem all that bright though...

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
This one should be a hit with some. I was personally hoping it would be flatter/thinner similar to the Underwater Kinetics 4aa incan light. It has the 2xAA in series then parallel.

Colorblinded

Enlightened
I got a chance to handle one tonight.
The anno on that light is one of the best I have ever seen on a flashlight. The ring feels very nice too but could have stronger detents. I don't see any donut holes at 6 feet. Running on 4 L91s it didn't seem all that bright though...
Mine didn't seem all that special until I took it outside at night and compared it to other lights I had that max out at around 200 lumens. It's certainly not the brightest MC-E light though.

I'm wondering if the ring feel varies from light to light (or with some wear it loosens up noticeably) which could be a bit troubling. The detents on mine feel fairly clear and there's a good sort of click and resistance when it enters the next mode. Maybe I'm just not handling it hard enough yet (this weekend will be my chance to really try it out) or you and others just prefer stronger resistance.

KuKu427

Enlightened
Mine didn't seem all that special until I took it outside at night and compared it to other lights I had that max out at around 200 lumens. It's certainly not the brightest MC-E light though.

I'm wondering if the ring feel varies from light to light (or with some wear it loosens up noticeably) which could be a bit troubling. The detents on mine feel fairly clear and there's a good sort of click and resistance when it enters the next mode. Maybe I'm just not handling it hard enough yet (this weekend will be my chance to really try it out) or you and others just prefer stronger resistance.
The one I handled was more or less brand new so it shouldn't be a wear issue. The detents are clear and there is a click and resistance... But felt a little too easy to turn for me. Some may prefer that since it operates through the ring only.

Colorblinded

Enlightened
The one I handled was more or less brand new so it shouldn't be a wear issue. The detents are clear and there is a click and resistance... But felt a little too easy to turn for me. Some may prefer that since it operates through the ring only.
Very possible. This is my first ring controlled light so I have nothing to compare it against.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Is there any lock or something that prevents getting strobe by accident?
As it looks on the pictures it is just to twist another step from high.