• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FEELER: M@g Power battery pack for 1.5D

Lumens Industry

Newly Enlightened
Hello CPF :wave: I've been on this site for some time learning about this stuff and have built some lights for family and friends. Mags are easy enough to modify and there are many battery options available but I prefer the IMR 26650. So I decided to make a battery pack with this battery in mind. Charging is done with a 5.5mm jack and charger from Battery Space. I am willing to do a limited run to cover prototyping cost depending on interest. I've designed this pack to be modular so different configurations can be done. This is a single cell running with a TaskLED D2FLEX driver. Thanks for looking!
IMG_0609.jpg

I have made a relief cut on the pack so it would fit inside the tail cap for shortest possible body.
IMG_0611.jpg

components: housing, negative terminal, negative contact spacer, positive charging terminal insulator and positive terminal
IMG_0619.jpg

IMG_0625.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

deep spring mod is necessary for this light
IMG_0632.jpg

I measured above 3.6 amps with standard leads
IMG_0634.jpg

Last edited:

mrartillery

Enlightened
Neat design, only issue is that this is just basically a battery sleeve and most people just use a 1in pvc cut to length to stop rattle. Im not knocking or downing your design as the charging port is a good idea, but if I could make a suggestion it would be to have the charging port extend out through the tailcap so that it would allow the battery to be charged without removing the tailcap.

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im confused as to what is offered.

I thought you made a holder that allows for 2 26650 cells to be used in parallel for 4.2V input and 8000mAh:popcorn:

If you just making a holder for a single IMR 26650, but has the option of charger jack then I dont see the added value in this. You are making it 1.5D or 1.5 26650 size or longer just to be able to charge the cell differently.. I myself rather have a shorter more compact light and can charge those cells in a WF-139 charger.

I really hope you are selling the parallel holders as this would be awesome and 8000mAh is much more usefull.

Regards,
bigC

flashfiend

Enlightened
Actually with the 5.5mm jack, I would consider this for a charging solution that didn't require alligator clips. A parallel solution to charge two at once would be even better. I don't have the patience to use a WF-139 to charge these high capacity cells.

Lumens Industry

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your input! This thread was to gauge interest and get feedback on my design. A 2 imr 26500's parallel pack to keep size down sounds interesting. I thought of making it extend to the tail cap but ran across issues with weather proofing and length of the light. Suggestions would be appreciated.

flashfiend

Enlightened
A 2x parallel 26500 pack would be great also. So I would be interested in a 2x parallel 26500 pack and a 2x parallel 26650 pack. But I would be using this as a charging solution and not necessarily for a Mag hosted light, so the charging jack is a must for me. Btw, what would be the price estimate?

Lumens Industry

Newly Enlightened
unfortunately, the way these packs are design, it would not be well suited for charging purposes. the positive charging lead coming from the front wraps around the battery so taking the batteries in and out would be a pain. as is, the packs are $65 with one battery and $50 as a kit (without battery) to people over seas. Thanks

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like your idea. If the cutdown was done just right, and the tailcap mod was done, you can drill the tailcap and have the charging jack accessible without removing the pack. I had an idea like this where you could place the light tail down in a charger block with the jack in the bottom.

mrartillery

Enlightened
I thought of making it extend to the tail cap but ran across issues with weather proofing and length of the light. Suggestions would be appreciated.

As for weatherproofing, a small rubber plug should suffice to keep out residual moisture, as a Mag isn't water proof anyway.

flashfiend

Enlightened
unfortunately, the way these packs are design, it would not be well suited for charging purposes. the positive charging lead coming from the front wraps around the battery so taking the batteries in and out would be a pain. as is, the packs are $65 with one battery and $50 as a kit (without battery) to people over seas. Thanks

Bummer :(