Looking for a general use LED light

joanne

Newly Enlightened
Hi all!

This is the second light I am currently in the market for.

I am looking for a flashlight to keep in my vehicle. I previously had a 2D Maglight incandescent that I carried in my SUV. Unfortunately it was stolen one night when I forgot to lock my Trooper. I do a lot of off-road travels and camping, so this will be an all-around use flashlight. I had been considering replacing my incandescent Maglight with an LED version when the old one was stolen. Now I have the opportunity to purchase a new light and figured I would ask for recommendations from you all.

One side note, I originally chose a Maglight specifically because it was sturdy and could be used as a self defense weapon in an emergency situation. I would prefer to stay with a sturdy, larger format flashlight for that reason.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations and advice.

Joanne

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

_X__I would like to purchase the light from a brick and mortar store. I am located in Las Vegas.
_X___I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

(Don't care where I purchase it!)

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Less than $25.
____Less than $50.
_X__Less than $100.
____Less than $150.
____Less than $300.
____I have no limit.
____I'm flexible, tell me what you gotJ.
____Other, please specify ________

3) Format:

_X__I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a dive light.
____I want a portable spotlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

____Keychain size.
____Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
_X__Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).
_X__Holster carry.
____Big enough to need its own travel caseJ.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____N/A

5) Emitter/Light source:

_X__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
____I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

_X__I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

_X__I intend to use alkaline batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) (disclaimer, while it does not preclude all choices, these are not recommended for many of today's most powerful lights)
____I intend to use rechargeable nickel chemistry (NiCad, NiMH, NiZn)
____I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)
____I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery. (Note: these choices may be very limited unless you are looking at spotlights)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).
____I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
_X__I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
_X__I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
_X__30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
_X__30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
_X__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
_X__Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
_X__I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
_X__I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Blinks to show location.)
____I want SOS mode.
____I want a beacon mode.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
_X__Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).
_X__Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

Last edited:

photonstorm

Newly Enlightened
You may be happy with another 2D Maglite modified with your choice of emitter(s), circuit board and strike bezel.

joe1512

Enlightened
Agreed. Practically none of the lights discussed here will have much heft. Even the biggest 8xAA is way too short to be any kind of weapon. 2x18650 lights are long and skinny which won't do.

If you really feel the heft is that important then you need to inquire about a 'drop in'.

This basically means you buy a new head for your flashlight such that you simply screw off the old head from a maglite that you buy, and replace with the upgraded one.

Now you can use the same batteries and everything with substantially more brightness. However, your first step is to go buy a new LED maglite. Coming from an incandescent, the LED is a significant step upwards which you may deem good enough.

Then you can decide whether to buy a drop in.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed with the other posters - you're going to have problems finding a self-defense LED light in that price range and with that kind of output. There are tons of little AA lights with crenelated strike bezels (teeth all around the end) but other than hurting like a ****ens if you hit someone with them, they don't match the sheer heft of a Mag.

The new MagLED isn't all that bad - I have a 3-D cell one. It'll throw light amazingly far if you focus the head right. Otherwise, take a look at Malkoff's drop-ins for a little boost in output. Just be sure to note whether the drop-in requires the old incandescent body, because a lot won't fit into the new MagLED one.

Cheers!

Razorhog

Newly Enlightened
I had a 3 D Cell LED Maglite, but the Duracells I had in there expanded and ruined it. I kept it in my truck and maybe the heat had something to do with that? Hindsight, but I should have contacted Duracell and got it replaced - I didn't know they would do that and I threw it away.
My suggestion is to get a good smaller light, and get one of those "Hickory Tire Knockers" for self defense (and checking tires) :)

joanne

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the information!

The "self defense" aspect isn't as important as the new light being a good quality, fairly priced model that I can keep in my SUV.

The old Maglight's "heft" was just a nice side benefit. Now days they seem pretty well outdated.

Thanks again,
Joanne

The Hawk

Enlightened
I suggest that you go buy a new LED mag-lite. I have one in my Jeep that uses 2 D batteries. It puts out decent light and could double as a self-defense item if need be.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
...The "self defense" aspect isn't as important as the new light being a good quality, fairly priced model that I can keep in my SUV. .....

Well, since you clarified (or modified) the size requirement, I will recommend the EagleTac P20A2 MkII XP-G R5 with OP reflector. This amazing light uses two AA batteries and produces over 200 OTF (out the front) lumens. I have a bunch of small lights and I keep one of these beside my bed, and in my truck.

Here's a pic of some of my lights. You can see the P20A2 on the far left.

7-edc-lights.jpg

-

Last edited:

vickers214

Enlightened

entoptics

Enlightened
EagleTac P20A2 MKII = $60
4 pack of Sanyo Eneloop AA rechargeables = $10
Car/home charger = $15

$85 and you are set for years.

I strongly recommend you do not put regular alkaline batteries in a glove box flashlight (or anything else really). They do not stand heat or cold well, and may leak or burst, ruining your otherwise bombproof light from the inside. Eneloops are superior in pretty much every way, and they are rechargeable.

The P20A2 MKII is a tough little 2xAA light, with enough length to be used as a very effective pounding weapon (as apposed to a swinging weapon like the maglites). It is extremely bright on maximum, has excellent runtime on medium (which is still brighter than a 2D maglite). It has hidden "emergency" beacon modes as well.