girl help needed.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reply post 25 here

I dated a girl that I'm not completely over for about 4 months, this was about 6 months ago.

We are on good terms but don't really talk, she is my front door neighbor.
She has a Great Dane dog. I went into Swarovski tonight (accompanied my sister who bought a gift for her friend - I didn't go in for said ex-gf) and saw this
salvatore.jpg
it's roughly 100$
(I'm thinking of keeping this aside as an xmas gift or wtv. Swarovski has a weird rotation, they swith out product often)

I want to get myself a ka-bar knife, this one. (KA-BAR Becker TacTool bk3)
kabar_tacblade.jpg

for again roughly 100$ (it's on sale now and I know I'll eventually buy it.)

I don't want/need to get either. Another option is I can just keep that money .

What would you do?

Ps. I have to add this disclaimer, I wont get another light. I already have more than I know what to do with at the moment.....yah I know... denial...

Last edited:

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't waste cash on someone who won't date you anymore. Life is not a romantic comedy. Go for the ka-bar ;)

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't waste cash on someone who won't date you anymore. Life is not a romantic comedy. Go for the ka-bar ;)

agreed, the 2 of you only dated for 4 months, it didnt work out, get over it, and move on. unless you still get some action from her from time to time, dont waste and cash or attention on her.

and that knife looks way cool and useful to pass up.

Qutie

Newly Enlightened
Um, if you buy that for her, she is going to move far, far away and get a restraining order against you. Don't be an idiot. It didn't last, it's been six months and I guarantee she's got someone new by now.

nbp

Flashaholic
This seems more like a 'help push me over the edge on this knife purchase' thread than a 'girl help' thread. :thinking:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The heart wants what the heart wants. You never know, it might be all she needs to get back on the wagon.

If you've got $100 to throw away, you might as well take the punt.

If you don't, then TALK TO HER. That's easily the best way (I didn't say easiest) to get back into a relationship (if that's what you want)

Darell

Flashaholic
Maybe try just handing her the cash and letting her decide what it means. If nothing else it should be a catalyst for the relationship... one way or the other. ;)

adamjh3

Newly Enlightened
If you give a girl a gift, it should be something that you WANT to give her, from your heart. It shouldn't be a tool to use to woo her back to you, that doesn't work, it just makes you look pathetic; Unless there's a lot more money behind where that came from, then you look pathetic AND she'll be with you to suck your bank dry.

If she's not going to be with you for you, she's not going to be with you for some stupid glass dog. Find other girls to date and hang out with and you'll forget about her soon enough.

By the way, that "knife" makes me gag. When you try to make something do everything, it won't do anything well. Spend your money on a solid Bark River knife and you'll appreciate what a true cutting instrument really is. That's just my not so humble $0.02, FWIW, YMMV.

Jasonthephoneboy

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, listen to Darell, just give her the cash. :broke:

Then again, her wrath, gained by assuming you are calling her a hooker:rant: , would make you want to pull out the bad awesome Ka-bar, and use it in self-defense:touche:.

While later, when sitting in an 8x8 cell :ironic:, you realize that the dog may have been the better way to go :banghead:.

Luckily, your sister comes to bail you out :thumbsup:, and has her best friend (who happens to be a model) with her. Her friend likes "bad" boys :naughty:, and finds you (mildly) attractive.

The next morning you wake up and realize: "I should have kept my $100"

Seriously, good luck with this girl. Personally I would get the knife, but then again I am no longer in the dating category. But realize, as funny as my little story may seem, sometimes relationships can take you on a wild ride. If you really like this girl, then my advise is with mvyrmnd, TALK TO HER. The more trinkets and money you spend on her the more apt she will be to lead you on.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on this statement!!!!!! Don't be PATHETIC!!!! There are plenty of good girls out there that will want you for you.
If you give a girl a gift, it should be something that you WANT to give her, from your heart. It shouldn't be a tool to use to woo her back to you, that doesn't work, it just makes you look pathetic; Unless there's a lot more money behind where that came from, then you look pathetic AND she'll be with you to suck your bank dry.

If she's not going to be with you for you, she's not going to be with you for some stupid glass dog. Find other girls to date and hang out with and you'll forget about her soon enough.

By the way, that "knife" makes me gag. When you try to make something do everything, it won't do anything well. Spend your money on a solid Bark River knife and you'll appreciate what a true cutting instrument really is. That's just my not so humble $0.02, FWIW, YMMV.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
You don't know whether she has one of these already. Find a way to ask her something like "hey, did ya see that Swarovski is making glass dog figurines? I saw one that looked like your dog." If she looks disinterested and says hmph then you know that you shouldn't buy it.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Gifts don't work if there's nothing in the relationship to start with. Trust me. I saw this with my parents for over 40 years. My dad would a gift or give a mushy card but the effect would never last on account of the way he and my mom were mismatched from the start. If you're destined to get back together with this girl, then you don't need an expensive gift. I personally would never give or receive a ( non-practical ) material gift in a relationship or marriage. IMO it trivializes things on so many levels. A relationship is all about people giving each other the one thing which is both free and priceless-each other. When you start to mix in material things, it's an indication that something is missing. Like others said, if you really want to try again with this girl, just talk to her. Maybe you'll get back together. Or maybe you'll realize you really didn't have much in common, and be able to move on. Either is preferably to the state of limbo you're in right now.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally would never give or receive a ( non-practical ) material gift in a relationship or marriage. IMO it trivializes things on so many levels. A relationship is all about people giving each other the one thing which is both free and priceless-each other. When you start to mix in material things, it's an indication that something is missing.

I don't necessarily agree with that. (As far as I'm aware) there's nothing wrong with my marriage, but that doesn't stop me from buying my wife gifts.

For the last few months she's been big into trying different recipes when cooking. I found a set of vintage (~1960) recipe cards on eBay and bought it for her. Clearly not a practical gift - but it made her laugh, and I get something interesting and old-fashioned for dinner. Impractical material gifts can be good for the relationship. They can be used to give your significant other a laugh, and brighten their day.

Larbo

Enlightened
Nice pic of the knife, worth the $100
But you forgot the pic of the GF, I cant decide without that :poke: