Mini AA as abike light?

underconstruction

Newly Enlightened
I was considering my WW MiniAA as a bike light for short trips. Do you guys think that the wind passing by would be enough to keep the light cool on high with a 14500?

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
It might. My direct drive P7s that get very hot in a room (even if in my hand) are very well cooled when biking.

Upplyst

Newly Enlightened
No. I do not think the wind would be adequate. A small surface (the front) without any cooling fins to get the best of the winds cooling effect would probably not suffice. Especially as the mini AA is not even specified for 14500 use. At extremely high speed and chilly outer temperatures, perhaps.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you hold it in your mouth, sure. Smooth metal shapes need solid contact to get rid of heat. The air will stream right over the MiNi and probably not help much. If you mount it in a metal pipe you should be good to go. Of course, you could always go on a ride tonight with the MiNi zip-tied on and see what happens. It WILL overheat when you are slow/stopped, unless you've mounted it snugly in a metal pipe with more heatsinking.

bbb74

Enlightened
I can't speak for the mini.

I have used my LD20 on turbo, helmet mounted on bicycle, and in 20 degree Celsius temperatures it doesn't even feel warm when I'm cycling. Once I stop or when I'm inside, it gets reasonably warm very fast, and then stays that way. So the wind flow from cycling definitely makes a difference for me.

notsofast

Enlightened
Yes wind chill is cooling. So depending on the air speed flowing around the light there is a given amount of cooling. Finns etc better utilize that cooling, they don't make the air cooler. If the ambient temperature is too hot, the air flow won't be enough to keep the lights temperatures within the safety limits of destruction.

I say strap it on and ride and feel it. If it gets too hot....there is your answer.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't speak for the mini.

I have used my LD20 on turbo, helmet mounted on bicycle, and in 20 degree Celsius temperatures it doesn't even feel warm when I'm cycling. Once I stop or when I'm inside, it gets reasonably warm very fast, and then stays that way. So the wind flow from cycling definitely makes a difference for me.

The MiNi123 isn't thermally designed for extended use with an RCR battery. It's a boost PWM-controlled light, so the voltage going to the LED is generally equal to or greater than the battery voltage. It basically comes down to "This tiny light isn't meant to do it but it might."

When you do your test ride, touch the head of the MiNi frequently.

MarkW

Newly Enlightened
I pretty much agree with above. I really like the Mini on li-ions, but in Alaska heat buildup is not usually a problem. Also, I hand-hold mine, so can tell if it's getting warm. I think you would be fine in cool weather, but not so much on a warm summer's eve--ambient matters. Do the frequent feel test and see what happens?