DigiPower USB LiPo Light

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Technically, it's a pocket sized rechargeable battery intended to charge up portable gadgets, with a light included.

I found it at Radioshack for $4.00.

P8250117.jpg

I really bought it just for the parts, 220mah LiPo battery, USB powered LiPo charger, male/female USB jacks, etc. Well worth the price.

I plugged it in to see how it worked before I gutted it and found it did not work at all. It got very hot and the light would not come on. I took it apart and found one of the battery wires was pinched and shorting. Both battery wires were in bad shape so I replaced them and tried it again.

Pretty straight forward. Plug it into a USB port to charge, blue light on means it is charging the battery, blue light off, the battery is charged.

P8250131.jpg

After playing with it for a bit I decided I really the way it worked and decided to keep it as a keychain light. With a couple of mods of course.

I replaced the included LED with a 7000MCD, softwhite version and bypassed a 68ohm resistor with a 15ohm version. 1/4 watt was the smallest resistor I had but it did fit. Wrapped the LED in black electric tape to cut down the glare.

P8250115.jpg

Front shot with new LED and resistor.
P8250139.jpg

This is the original LED at 18ma.
P8250123.jpg

7000MCD LED at 56ma.
P8250122.jpg

It's really a tiny light. Comparison with a AA battery.

P8250127.jpg

Not a barn burner but i've found myself using it a lot. It has turned out to be a great EDC keychain light.

I can also use it to charge up my other LiPo light.
P8250144.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Hey, thanks!

Yup, that is the one. I've seen them on the web from $11.00 up to $24.00. My local shack had three left at $4.00. I bought them all.

Unfortunately out of the four I have purchase, only one worked out of the box. The others all had some issue. I was able to repair all but one. It appeared to have gotten wet and the LiPo is shot. No biggie, replaced the batt with a surplus out of an old phone. Won't fit in the original case of course.

I have some 10ohm SMT resistors and 18000mcd 5MMs on the way. I think they will make good pocket lights. The simple recharge is great.

Out of all the lights I have, this is probably the one I use the absolute most.