Tactical 50W/38W 4500 LUMEN HID REVIEW

big4x4

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everybody,
This is a short review of my observations of the 4500 Lumen 50W/38W 6000k flashlight. I have the old style 35W/28W Ebay Flashlight to compare it to.

Fit and Finish-

The first thing I noticed when I got the light is that it was noticeably lighter in weight than my old 35W flashlight. The finish on the new one is more of a glossy black than the flatter black of the old 35W flashlight. It was also about .5 inches longer than the old 4400 Mah 35W/28W ebay flashlight. This is surprising because of the fact they managed to squeeze a 6600Mah battery into this thing! The new battery is much longer than my old 35W battery. The two look very similar however you can tell the heatsinking is a bit larger on the 50W light.

The texture on the hand grip is also different, it felt "slippery" to me when I grabbed it and I much preferred the more pronounced textured grip of the old flashlight. It just felt heavier duty and felt like more of a serious tool. However, the more I use the new flashlight, the less "slippery" it feels however, it still cant match the more pronounced textured grip of the old light.

Some differences I noticed right away over the old 35W light:

1) The HID Strap has improved the plastic clips so now it is impossible to slip out when you are carrying it by the straps. My old light probably had one side of the strap slip out about 25 times total during its nearly 1 year tenure with me.
2) The reflector is smooth (same as old one) but looks like it is even higher quality with a better finish to it. It is quite evident in the beam pattern as it is much more uniform and overall much cleaner than my 35W light before.
3) The focus adjustment on the new 50W flashlight is easier, smoother and much more secure than before. Now I don't have to worry about changing the focus by lightly touching the front of the light on accident.
4) The rubber end cap that also houses the yellow filter is also a better fit and easily slips on and off instead of having to hassle with it on the last 35W version.
5) The tail cap that threads on is much harder and more time consuming to screw in on the new 50W light for some reason. I liked the way the 35W flashlight's tailcap screwed in better... much easier.

Performance-

When I first turned it on, I immediately noticed that it was a different color than my old 35W 6000K bulb. It was much warmer and seemed around 5000k to me. Perhaps it will get back to the same color after burn in? Only time will tell.

After about a minute of running it, I felt the head of the flashlight, and I could definately tell more amps were being fed to it as it was already pretty darn warm. My 35W never got above even slightly warm. As you can see from the pictures, the 50W blows the 35W away in total illumination. The flood is wonderful on this thing, and is now my preferred walking light since you can see everything to the front, side, near, far, everything! I would say based on my eyes, it is about 35% brighter in the sense of more lumens. The hotspot is brighter, but not much brighter than the old 35W light, but that could just be my eyes seeing the bluer tint of the old light. There is just way more light around the hotspot thrown downrange which allows you to make out objects and much farther distances than my old 35W light. I would recommend this light in a heart beat. I know some people said the old 35W lights were hit and miss with quality, but so far I am 2 for 2, and I would not hesitate to buy another (and actually did, yesterday!). You just can't beat the price/lumen with the added flashlight form bonus (which is easy to put wherever you need) and the 6600mah lithium battery! Here are the pics:

Stanley HID 35W Spotlight:

dyoeuc.jpg

The Stanley HID throws farther and has a tighter hotspot. However, the new light definitely lit up more real estate than the Stanley.

Tactical 35W/28W 6000K Flashlight:

2ni1vlx.jpg

Throw and distance is noticeably weaker than the new 50W flashlight

Tactical 50W/38W 6000k Flashlight:

mabd55.jpg

The 50W flashlight has both good throw and great flood. Total Lumens to my eyes seems like about 4200-4500. I estimate this based on the 5300 Lumens of my old XeRay 50W searchlight. The XeRay could throw a lot farther and was a more yellowish color temp. LOVE the color of this new flashlight. It renders colors easily, and is NOT too yellow or blue. Very White.

50W Flashlight vs 35W flashlight side x side.

1hxm6g.jpg

This image shows you how much brighter and what a different color temp this new 50W light has. What is strange is the camera picks up more residual light in the blue range from the 35W light that was not visible when looking at it with the naked eye. Also, the 50W seemed to have more spill visible with the eye than shown in this picture. Regardless, you can see how much brighter the 50W really is than the 35W light.

Thanks for reading!

DavyCrockett

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review 4x4. Lots of people will be jealous...all for approx'ly
$180. Now I may have to get one. :whistle:

big4x4

Newly Enlightened
Mine is about 12-15 seconds for full brightness. Its bright when turned on, it just slowly gets brighter. The initial flash seems brighter than when it is warmed up in high.

KRUSHDUDE

Newly Enlightened
Mine is about 12-15 seconds for full brightness. Its bright when turned on, it just slowly gets brighter. The initial flash seems brighter than when it is warmed up in high.
Not bad. Mine is on the way.

big4x4

Newly Enlightened
I wish you guys good luck with yours. I received my silver 50W yesterday and it is definitely a bluer tint than my first one... Also, another bonus I forgot to mention is the 4000k amber filter that is included, it used to be 3000k on my old 35W flashlight, the new one is MUCH more usable. Also keep in mind, the light (at least for me) got brighter the more I used it. It wasn't that impressive off the bat, but definitely is now!

amaretto

Newly Enlightened
edit: I got mine today and my first impression when first firing up is a bit disappointment. Seems more 35 W than 50 W output compared to my Polarion 50W HID. But imho it gets a little brighter each time i use it.

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amaretto,

This is not at all surprising. Most chinese HID manufacturers overstate their lumens ratings to sell their products. I'm sure the light being discussed will get brighter with use, but there are VERY few lights that can touch the PH50. The Xenide is perhaps one of the few exceptions.

Patriot

Flashaholic
edit: I got mine today and my first impression when first firing up is a bit disappointment. Seems more 35 W than 50 W output compared to my Polarion 50W HID. But imho it gets a little brighter each time i use it.

Completely predictable when compared to the PH50. I've learned over time to keep two separate standards with regards to HID output. Just as a 35W Microfire isn't even in the same universe of performance as a 35W Polarion, a 50W ebay light that costs $200 will likewise come up short. This isn't to say however that this isn't one heck of a deal. If the light wasn't 16" long and if it was something I thought I'd get use out of, I'd jump on this one. I'm much more into the very compact lights myself.

mknewman

Newly Enlightened
I bought one during their Labor Day holiday for $179 and they sent me some spam today saying they have extended that price for the rest of the week. Hope mine gets here soon so I can report on it.

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got one of these. NO way it can compete with a Polarion. I have a ACRO 35w and a Titanium innovations 35w and this light is close to the TI. The ACRO is brighter. But for the money, you can't beat it.

KRUSHDUDE

Newly Enlightened
Just remember, performance of this light improves after using it for a while. Mine is considerably brighter now than when it first arrived.

big4x4

Newly Enlightened
+1
Remember, I was disappointed when it first came as well. It was as bright or even less than my 35W Tactical HID. Now, after some good use, it is WAAAY brighter. The pictures speak for themselves. Extremely pleased with my purchase.