Video light

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im building this for a friend to use with his Nikon D90.

I am using 2 Ultrafire W200's cut down as the light heads.
LED's are 4 XP-G's per head and will be driven at 1575ma each using 9 AMC 7135 chips driving 2 XP-G's and the other 2 XP-Gs wired in series to the AMC's. Battey pack will be a 2S6P 18650 Li Ion set up.
Will probably also have a 50% mode too.

There will be no optics just the bare LED's to give a wide beam of 120 degrees or so.

Total output should be close to 4000 lumen which matches my macro lighting system which has 16 XP-G's driven at about 700ma each.

This system will also work quite well as a macro lighting system for still shots too.
videolight.jpg

lucca brassi

Enlightened
Nice work I have to subscribe thread.

I have same idea as you but I'll use mini GS35 (5inch)in battery space I will probably put some current driver and cut thread in tailcap for agro gland (metric in that case).

gs35mini_silber.jpg

I 've made plans for heatsink (cooper and silverplated ) and it will be done I think in two weeks , (will put photos if wanted) but I have place only for one led with star PCB. I did not decide what leds to install.

What is better with same bin or different bins to cover wide specter of visable light.(special for whitebalance setup on RAW pictures)?

What arms will you put on camera holder . Something like that (Fantasea flexible arm )
FNTA30.jpg

I have myself olympus SP550UZ and PT-037 . I have in may realized that photo stuff should be small for transportation and airplane .

Last edited:

kubi

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Very good! Please share as many pics as possible.
I've built a video light for myself using 3-3 warm white MC-Es in both of the head without any lens or reflector.
Unfortunately the cable connector was leaky, but one of the heads were working long enough.
The light made sunshine in the caves I was diving :)
Whenever I have time and machine power I upload some vids to youtube.

Did anyone try SKU 44176 from DX?
If 3 leds would fit into it with the electronics it would kick *** as the light body...
I'll risk the 31 bucks for one...

lucca brassi

Enlightened
Kubi have you ordered SKU 44176 from DX ... please report about light.

BTW:
for video is also interesting this system: because is small , simple 2 piece design , excellent thermal managment
LED90_160st.jpg
backside thermal protection when leaving water
LED_bimetal.jpg
fixing tube
LED_sroub_s.jpg

Last edited:

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats a pretty cool design LB. Is it yours?
I have only just seen it now as I am about to post some work in progress pics.
I have also put in thermal protection and it looks a little familiar.
video2.jpg

video1.jpg

Thats one head complete and the cannister half way done. Waiting on some more AMC 7135 drivers to finish the second head.

lucca brassi

Enlightened
It is NOT my design I borrow picture from http://www.aquabox.cz/.

In video it is interesting (educational ) why voltage controlled drivers are not OK especialy with multi-die leds.

BTW: It is all OK with you on NZ after earthquake?

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thankfully there was only one death due to a heart attack. We live at the other end of the country so are not effected by it at all.
Still its a hell of a mess and will take a long time to sort out.

Your comment about drivers and video... can you elaborate? I guess you are referring to interference?

Klem

Enlightened
Lucca, Kubi,

The SKU44176 looks suspiciously like the typical pond lighting housings you see in the local hardware or garden store. Made in China and suitable for about 1 metre.
sku_44176_1.jpg

Looking at similar there's no reason why it could not be adapted for deeper. Probably needs a stronger lens, and all the usual checks.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dropped my camera in a stream and ruined it.
I have finally got a replacement ( G11 Canon) and it does still fit my light ring but have not been diving much as of late.
But I have just made a rather large investment in some kit and will be diving as much as I can over the next 6 months or so to justify the purchase.

Hmm, I wonder where they got that idea from?:poke:

Nice to see many options ( although I hate the way the have rated them in light power watts).
Battery pack seems pretty small. I doubt you would get much burn time.

Mine runs at 1/2 spec. 700ma x 16XP-G's so about 40 watt 4000lumen.
Its interesting to note that their 0.5watt x 72 LED ( 36 watt) only puts out 1300 lumen.
I found my original light that was probably 1300 odd lumen simply wasnt bright enough for the shots I wanted and the camera I was using.

Last edited:

lucca brassi

Enlightened
Agree.
For me is interesting that actually you dont't need so much power for macro or close pictures or you have to dimm it if you have too much power. ( because camera sensor is very sensitive )... shooting reef ...special in Adriatic see need big lights under 10m.

Last edited:

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take this pic for example.

Shutter speed 1/160
F3.5
ISO160

Thats with 4000 lumen.
Now had it been 1300 lumen shutter speed would drop to 1/55
In a environment where you have fast moving subjects and current /waves moving the camera and operator the more light you have the better.

To be honest I think 2000 lumen is probably the bare minimum I'd want to use with my camera ( Canon G10 and now G11).
With a faster lens that allows more light in then I guess its no so much of an issue.

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey pack, what threads do the W200 use (metric/std)? I messed one up and am going to use it for something else and need to rethread.
Thanks

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
M25.2 X 1.5mm is the measurement of the head I have in front of me. Although I did measure another awhile back and it was M25.4 x 1.5mm. No huge difference I guess.

waterloodiver

Newly Enlightened
Kubi have you ordered SKU 44176 from DX ... please report about light.

BTW:
for video is also interesting this system: because is small , simple 2 piece design , excellent thermal managment
LED90_160st.jpg
backside thermal protection when leaving water
LED_bimetal.jpg
fixing tube
LED_sroub_s.jpg

This is very good design for video light! Direct drive?