JetBeam RRT-3 beam shape question

HKJ

Flashaholic
The link below will take you to GoingGear's youtube video featuring the new JetBeam RRT-3 light. At the beginning, while he has the torch indoors, it appears as though the hotspot has a large square shaped black hole in the middle of it at all output settings. Is this some sort of optical illusion?

No, the light has a hole in the beam at very short distances. On my RRT-3 the hole disappears at 0.5 meters.

Bronco

Enlightened
No, the light has a hole in the beam at very short distances. On my RRT-3 the hole disappears at 0.5 meters.

Thanks for the verification, HKJ. How bizarre. I was curious because the hot spot on my Maelstrom G5's beam is a bit donut shaped, though this seems to be the case at all distances.

guggep

Newly Enlightened
My RRT-3 also shows the hole out to about 2 feet. After that it completely disappears. The hot spot is somewhat star shaped out to about 15 - 20 feet. In real world use there are no issues. The light really excells outside and at distance.

Bloke

Newly Enlightened
Mine has the dark square close up but disappears over half a metre

The light really excells outside and at distance.

Yes I agree it's great outside light, but falls waaaay short of the claimed "effective range of 700+ yards". That is an absolute crock! :thumbsdow

My driveway is 200 metres long (219 yards) and the RRT-3 barely shows up my mail box. I say it has an "effective range" of about 180 metres (197 yards) and find Jetbeams claims grossly overrated.

But in general use it has an excellent balance of flood and throw.