Huge explosion in San Bruno, California

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is really close to home for me.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/09/09/BADP1FBJRS.DTL&tsp=1

The Church of The Highlands, mentioned in the article, is where my kids go to school. They were safely home when the explosion occurred, but, I think I know where this is happening exactly and I may know people who may be affected by this. I hope there aren't any fatalities nor injuries.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
It's a gas main in the center of a suburb, so the prognosis is very grim. I've been listening to live coverage on the main San Francisco news radio station (click here for the live online stream), they're doing nonstop coverage, phone calls, and emergency info.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, 500+psi of flammable gas escaping from a 24" line is a lot more of a problem than other utilities would be.

Hopefully they can get it all put out and get things back in order soon.

Imon

Enlightened
Wow ....

I just saw a video of it online - the flames are massive. Hope the firefighters can contain that beast before more lives or homes are put at risk.

kejac

Newly Enlightened
Was a few miles away when it started, didnt here the explosion but, the flames were extremely high. Watching the footage on the news now, devastating.
Have to give it up to emergency services, they were there quick!

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

Lightups

Newly Enlightened
Truly devastating. They say a few blocks are a total lost.

I was trying to get to a 7-11 around there, but the nearby areas lost power. A mile away or so I saw a couple dozen emergency vehicles gathered around at the Sears parking lot, at Tanforan mall.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Given the magnitude of the devastation, I'm surprised only four people died so far. It must have happened when a lot of people were at work or school.

LED_astray

Newly Enlightened
Given the magnitude of the devastation, I'm surprised only four people died so far. It must have happened when a lot of people were at work or school.

It happened at 6:15pm local time. Right at dinner time for a lot of families. We could see the smoke plume here at the south end of the bay. The news had reports of the flames being visible from the Oakland hills on the opposite side of the bay.

I fear the confirmed deaths are so low because they haven't gotten to the bodies yet. OTOH- local news has had several stories of close escapes. Since it was a time most people were awake and it was loud, hopefully most people got out.

Some stories: One man heard the explosion, saw the fireball, went the other way to open his garage door, start his car & drive off and made it. But his rear tail light covers & bumper trim melted.... Two other people were interviewed both said they heard the explosion, saw a wall of fire at the front of their houses, headed out the back door and kept running. One suffered burns, but still got away.

I'm sure thoughts, prayers, anything you've got are appreciated up that way right now.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I drove past the area on the local highway (highway 280) at 11;30 PM and the smoke was still very thick in the air. I guess they didn't completely contain it when I drove past. Earlier today, when driving to work, there were no signs that anything had happened. My kids' friends live in the surrounding area and they were giving updates on FB. Definitely scary stuff. Thankfully, it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
The official death toll as of this morning is at 4. There are about 3 missing people and there are remains that were found but they are now trying to determine of they're human or not.

I received an email from my kid's school to inform us that there have been several people who work at the school or attend the school who have lost their homes but are otherwise okay. One person suffered third degree burns on the back of his neck from the heat radiation coming from the fireball as he ran for his life. Thankfully, the death toll is a lot less than I had anticipated seeing as how this happend right when most families would be sitting down for dinner and the fire spread really quickly.