NEXTORCH - 300 m long-shot E6        

Thread: Key Chain Sized 100lm+ light?

Default Key Chain Sized 100lm+ light?

Is anyone out there putting together a key chain sized 100lm or more light? I am thinking about creating such a monster while learning a CNC machine. I think it would utilize a Cree XR-E Q5, 700ma driver 5 mode, and about 150mah 3.7v battery. It will have USB charging and around a 10 minute runtime a max power and 40 minutes on low. End size goal is 46mm x 19mm x 10mm smaller than most usb thumb drives. It will be a great EDC and can be charged almost anywhere now a days. Just playing with the idea.

Default Re: Key Chain Sized 100lm+ light?

Sounds like a pretty impressive project! Please post some pics if/when you get it constructed.... Sure would beat my current keychain light, the Streamlight Nano ands its whopping 10 lumens
    Streamlight Stinger LED DS, Streamlight Strion LED, Streamlight 3C Twin-Task UV, Streamlight Multi-Ops, Streamlight Microstream, Streamlight Nano Light, 3D Mag-Lite w/TerraLUX LED Drop-In, LED Lenser M7R

Flashaholic*

Could you use a capacitor for the power storage instead of a battery? because at that current draw, you would be putting the cell under about 4.5C discharge, which would be bad
    mossyoak --> Dear God man, its your honeymoon, screw the flashlights, bring one or two and some backup batteries, and fill up all that extra room you have with condoms and alcohol.

There are a number of lights out there that live up to this but I guess they are mostly cr2 lights which are usually custom. Except for the quark mini cr2.

I edc a quark mini 123 on my keychain but alot of ppl wouldnt really consider it key chain sized.

Enlightened

That would be one beast of an EDC, in a small package. For now I run 10440 batteries in my Preon and Maratac and those end up being my tiny pocket rockets.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by sol-leks View Post
    There are a number of lights out there that live up to this but I guess they are mostly cr2 lights which are usually custom. Except for the quark mini cr2.

I edc a quark mini 123 on my keychain but alot of ppl wouldnt really consider it key chain sized.
    What I think is wrong with that is they are way to fat! I think of a small key chain light as a AAA light, AA might even be pushing it for me on my key chain. Thats why a key chain light ends up being a backup to whatever other flashlight I decide to carry that day.

Quote Originally Posted by tolkaze View Post
    Could you use a capacitor for the power storage instead of a battery? because at that current draw, you would be putting the cell under about 4.5C discharge, which would be bad
    Well the batteries I am looking at are rated at 15c or 2.25amps continuous. They stem from the radio controlled market and used running ultra light planes and helicopters. Capacitors would work great if they actually held a lot more power. The current cell holds around .5 watt hours of power. A capacitor of say 12v 1 farad which is about 6inches long 4in diameter has all of .04 watt hours available, not enough to run the light for more than a couple seconds. Capacitor are good for filtering power and providing extremely short burst of power.

Enlightened

Sounds like a great idea! Especially being able to charge via USB...

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Letomax View Post
    Sounds like a great idea! Especially being able to charge via USB...
    Seems like thats the trend now days, ITP has the R01 rechargeable, and there are some chargers that charge via USB, it only makes sense since USB is so popular now. The only thing is in about 1 or 2 years USB 3.0 will be the replacement, which will hopefully bring more advanced and powerful USB chargers and Flashlights!

Flashaholic

This idea has been on my mind for a bit too, somthing around the size of a USB memory stick. I reckon it would sell great if someone put it into production. li-ion charge ICs are easy to come by now. Sounds like a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxx510 View Post
    This idea has been on my mind for a bit too, somthing around the size of a USB memory stick. I reckon it would sell great if someone put it into production. li-ion charge ICs are easy to come by now. Sounds like a winner.
    I've been scheming this too just this week. I was looking at a way-underdriven XR-E because I have them laying around... the charge circuit may be beyond my ability to make, though.

Edit:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/USB-...ttery-charger/
    Hmm, maybe not.
    Last edited by AnAppleSnail; 09-16-2010 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Added link
    My biggest light-hog is my camera.

I'd love to see what you've come up with, sir.

Cool! I'll be watching this thread.

Flashaholic*

Subscribed (I like small and bright)

Quote Originally Posted by magudaman View Post
    Just playing with the idea.
    Sounds like a cool idea to be playing with.

I'm actually looking for the most powerful backup pocket light that takes a single CR123A battery. I know nothing of buildng flashlights.

Well I need to order some parts so, it will probably be a while before I update again, I need to make sure this thing will work electronics wise before I go much further. But here is a design to fit all the currently spec'd electronics. Would run the LED at around 165 lumens according the Data sheets. End size is 57mm x 22mm x 14mm, little bit bigger than I wanted.

Flashaholic*

End size is 57mm x 22mm x 14mm, little bit bigger than I wanted.
    At that size/volume you will be up against some AAA and CR2 lights (and some of the compact 123 based lights). However, here on CPF all you seem to need to sell new lights are some desirable features that are hard to find in other lights - maybe having high CRI LEDS, user programmable with very low moonlight levels and hidden strobes/beacons/SOS functions will make it viable.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Gregozedobe View Post
    At that size/volume you will be up against some AAA and CR2 lights (and some of the compact 123 based lights). However, here on CPF all you seem to need to sell new lights are some desirable features that are hard to find in other lights - maybe having high CRI LEDS, user programmable with very low moonlight levels and hidden strobes/beacons/SOS functions will make it viable.

Good luck
    User programmable by USB? IE a text file like so:

memory=true
    memset=1
    doubleclick to change = true
    presshold to change = false
    presshold for hidden = true
    cycle for hidden = false
    set_1 0000
    set_2 1
    set_3 10
    set_4 100
    set_5 1000
    set_6 1536

hid_5 Strobe
    hid_6 SOS
    hid_3 findme

Set to remember modes used for more than 1 second. This will be the mode at next power-on. Setting 1 is 1/1024 mA (I dunno, something to set the number, 000 for 'super low'), and so on. Hidden modes are reached with a press and hold. Mode is changed with a double click

This might ask more of a microcontroller than can be given, remembering several variables and what to do with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregozedobe View Post

Good luck
    I think CR123 are out as to carrying on your key ring, and my only CR2 light has a huge reflector and would definitely be out. My Arc and other AAA lights are only running 10 lumens and I hope this new unit at 750ma across the LED will be pumping out 150 lumens. Programmable modes would be awesome! I like AnAppleSnail idea in the programming!

The thumb drive represents the flashlight and has surprisingly close dimensions:

AnAppleSnail,

I love that idea! I actually have a little pen video camera that has you program the date and time in a similar fashion to that. I think the light could actually be reduced in size if I could combine the charger, driver, BMS in one very smart board. Currently I would be using off the shelve parts but maybe someday I could implement that. Great now I gotta add my electrical engineering degree to the list of todo.
    Last edited by magudaman; 09-18-2010 at 10:33 PM.

AnAppleSnail,

I love that idea! I actually have a little pen video camera that has you program the date and time in a similar fashion to that. I think the light could actually be reduced in size if I could combine the charger, driver, BMS in one very smart board. Currently I would be using off the shelve parts but maybe someday I could implement that. Great now I gotta add my electrical engineering degree to the list of todo.
    I only mention it because I've done a bit of microcontroller work where you could do those few things. I think my robot had about 2k memory for programs and variables. It could store a few sensor values. Also arithmetic was doable, so I could say "This part is 23% brighter, so it's the edge of the track."

As long as the microcontroller's format were followed the poor thing wouldn't get confused. I don't know -how- one uses a microcontroller to control current-controlling electronics, but I know that if it knows how hard to push, it can do it.

The great thing is, it'd be easy to share these files rather than handing out a list of clicks and presses. Of course, telling the MC how to interpret neat-sounding things like "press-hold for ramp = true" is tricky.

46x19x10mm is a tad too big for a keychain, IMHO.

The ultimate super bright keychain light is the 100 lumen version of the Lummi Wee. It will run 15 minutes. I think the 50 lumen (30 minute) version is more practical, but either way, it's been done. And it is only 34x15 mm.

But since you're talking a 2-level light, I think it's a fine project!

I ended up ordering a Zebralight SC30/W that puts out over 193 Lumens of light on turbo. I also ordered a Quark 123. The Quark mini 123 would make a great key chain light measuring 2.5 inches long. The Zebralight SC30 only measures 2.6 inches.
    Sometimes I feel like a nut!!! Sometimes I don't!!!
    CPF Specials

Ive EDC'd a Fenix P1 D CE on my keys for a few years, along with a GREEN Raw Al. That CR123 or rCR123 powerhouse is always with me. I'll soon add a Fenix E01 for AAA powered loooong runtime. That way I won't get stuck without ANY power source.
    I think a Quark mini CR2 would be a good choice for many people.

Wow the Lummi Wee is pretty darn cool! Hopefully I can do a comparison between it and my end light. I am hoping that this thing will be be about 75% brighter and as you said have multi-mode for those long runtimes. I also played with the USB charging numbers and I will have a recharge time of about 25 minutes from completely flat.

I did receive my batteries I plan on using and have been testing them today. They are doing great and are amazingly tiny!

Here you can see the voltage at different amperage

Maybe the next version would be the same dimensions but just 7mm thicker and I could do a MCE or P7 with 4.5 minutes of run time, 900 lumens!

"It will run out of power after 4.5 minutes but its ok because it will be too hot to hold the power button in 2 minutes." topgear stemmed joke off the Buggati Veryon skit
    Last edited by magudaman; 09-23-2010 at 04:25 PM.