Which of these will accept 18650's?

TwinBlade

Enlightened
Guys and gals, I don't want another poof like I had from over voltage on my iTP A1, so I am asking for some help here. Which of these flashlights will take the 18650's?

Fenix TK12

Fenix TK10

Inova T1 (2008 model)

Surefire C2L

Surefire 6PL Defender

Surefire 6P KX4

I think that's it. ALSO, will a SF incan drop in for the 6P's work with 18650's?

TIA:cool:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Guys and gals, I don't want another poof like I had from over voltage on my iTP A1, so I am asking for some help here. Which of these flashlights will take the 18650's?

Fenix TK12

Fenix TK10

Inova T1 (2008 model)

Surefire C2L

Surefire 6PL Defender

Surefire 6P KX4

I think that's it. ALSO, will a SF incan drop in for the 6P's work with 18650's?

TIA:cool:

Not sure about the others but these are a NO-GO, you'll need to get them bored for the 18650... furthermore its questionable how well they will perform with the lower Vin from the single cell.
Surefire C2L

Surefire 6PL Defender

Surefire 6P KX4

No the SF P60/61/90/91 will not work with a single 18650. Furthermore, severely under-driving the lamp will severely shorten its lifespan (I think it was 5-Mega who told me this). The 90 and 91 will however work with 2x18650/16340/17670. There are however reports of other members flashing the P91 with IMR-18650 cells... so non-IMR cells is a safer route. The P90 with 2xLi-Io cells is a nice little setup IMHO.

Some alternatives are Lumens actory Lamps and DX1, DX2 or DX3. (the latter two being optimal with 2x cells)

dscn2495f.jpg

Last edited:

TwinBlade

Enlightened
Not sure about the others but these are a NO-GO, you'll need to get them bored for the 18650... furthermore its questionable how well they will perform with the lower Vin from the single cell.
Surefire C2L

Surefire 6PL Defender

Surefire 6P KX4

No the SF P60/61/90/91 will not work with a single 18650. Furthermore, severely under-driving the lamp will severely shorten its lifespan (I think it was 5-Mega who told me this). The 90 and 91 will however work with 2x18650/16340/17670. There are however reports of other members flashing the P91 with IMR-18650 cells... so non-IMR cells is a safer route. The P90 with 2xLi-Io cells is a nice little setup IMHO.
Very good info sir, I appreciate it.

I have seen several posts about SF's being bored. It would be nearly a press fit in mine because the cells I believe are 18.2-18.4mm, and the 6P KX4 (new model) is 18.3. I would guess opening it up with a boring bar by 0.2mm would be sufficient correct? But then again, this goes back to what you said about performance.

I am just a bit overwhelmed with info the past couple weeks. There seems to be very little regarding standardizing ANYTHING in the flashlight industry. It is just a big mind fart right now...

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Mind fart... brain barf... very confusing indeed.

The SF-6P is about as standard as it gets, but the mod ceiling simply does not exist. Its a very capable platform.

I have never tried a cylinder hone or similar DIY solution. Although others have. Moddoo bored my 6P... in hindsight I should have had him do my M2 as well.

Solarforce 18mm bodies can be purchased from Lighthound for ~$10. bigchelis and MrGman use these bodies for all their Lumen-sphere measurements. So they are well made and just as capable as the original SF bodies.

TwinBlade

Enlightened
Thanks to both of you.

I think I am just going to let some of this digest a while and use the lights as they came out of the box. I need to invest a solid 6 months soaking all of this stuff up. I am also going to buy a combo deal from battery junction which includes a charger and 2 3000mah 18650's and just start with that in my TK12.

With the help of Nasty, I got me a really sweet little 2D maglite that I modded and put a 6D krypton lamp in and shimmed the walls inside to hold 4 CR123 batteries and modded the tailspring as well.

This sucker has got some light coming out of it. Can't wait til nightfall. This modding stuff might become a bit addictive as well...

My brain will be fried pretty soon.:thinking:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mod the maglite (ROP) style. 1100 lumens of Incan beast.
Uses a Pelican bulb, 6 at 1.5v batteries, replace the glass and reflector because the stock ones will melt. ;)

SolarforceL2p is a cheap 18650 host that takes the P60 bulb like Surefires

TwinBlade

Enlightened
Funny you say that. Nasty sent me a PM on another forum saying something to the tune of "Ready for "ROP" young grasshopper"?

That's too funny.

I need to find parts now that I know what it is after a brief search. Freakin' 1000+ lumens for 20-30 minutes before decline...

Holy shiznit!

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, got the big D 3854 bulbs on order, and a 6 aa holder in the works. The metal reflector and new glass I'll only buy if I think I'll use it for longer run times, my 2D mag will be a beast ;)

Great minds think alike

TwinBlade

Enlightened
Where did you get the bulbs and holder from?

I am with you on how long it will be turned on. Still, its a pain scraping melted plastic off after it fused to other stuff...

If there are local forumites that sell, that would be a bonus, if not any link you used will work.

Thanks man.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
ShipperSupply Inc happens to be across the street from Pelican Canada. Pelican didn't have them instock, so they ordered them for me.

The 6 aa holder in place of 2D cells I might have to pull from one of my cheaper lights.

The link I did have was from EDC site no longer exists? Hmm, sorry

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a CPF fella that sells the cell holders, and someone else sells the LoP (think it's called) reflector and glass