Measure your lux/lumens with your Droid X app GPS Status???

sempra

Newly Enlightened
I just discovered that the Droid X app GPS Status apparently measures light intensity. The screen displays a number either in lux or lumens. I can't exactly figure out how or when it switches between the two. I sent an email to the author asking if the displayed light reading was calibrated and how it switched between lux and lumen readout. No answer yet.

How about other Droid X owners help check this app out!

Mitch
(sempra)

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
You can get this app in the market but mine only reads lux. Lumens are impossible for obvious reasons. I tried my aspherical mag on it and it maxed out at 15,000 lux using a Galaxy S.

Also this basically only reads by the thousand so don't expect precision.

sempra

Newly Enlightened
App's author responded to my emaiI

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 2:41 AM, F MITCHELL <[email protected]> wrote:
Is the light intensity calibrated? And what is the criteria for whether it displays in lux or linens?
Thanks
Mitch

Response:
"It is in lux, and it is not calibrated. In general it is pretty unreliable. The light sensor in your phone is meant only to roughly set the display brightness. Because of this, the hardware is pretty much useless (at least it is i my Nexus One) for any serious measurement. The accuracy may depend from phone to phone depending on the vendor, but usually it just returns 5-6 brighness levels. In short, DO NOT trust it :( The instrument is put there only so you can verify that the brightness sensor is actually working.

Rudolf"

RocketTomato

Enlightened
Response:
"... In short, DO NOT trust it :( The instrument is put there only so you can verify that the brightness sensor is actually working.

Rudolf"

Ahh ok, I was wondering what light measurement had to do with GPS.

The Droid X is awesome. I ended up getting rid of my old GPS unit and replaced it with my phone.