Sr 90 or a hid 35 watt pros and cons

pc3

Newly Enlightened
Folks I Am wanting a very bright light for illuminating feral animals a long way out. I see various 35 watt hid 3500 lumen flashlights and the sr 90 led 2200 lumen. Should I go for the sr 90 over a similarly priced 35 w HUD or does the sr 90 have pros I'm unaware if despite it being 2200 v 3500 lumen the LEDs are tougher yes ?

jellydonut

Enlightened
Most HIDs will have 'warm up time', the cheaper ones will take several minutes to reach their stated high output. The SR90 is going to instantly reach its maximum output thanks to being an LED light. It also has several modes, most HIDs don't. This can allow you to conserve battery life, I think the low mode on the SR90 is something ridiculous like 700 lumens.. So you're not exactly gonna be squinting.:nana:

scout24

Flashaholic
Not exactly going to be squinting...:crackup: I've actually been contemplating a similar purchase and am looking forward to some of the pro and con opinions...

Watts Up!

Newly Enlightened
The SR90 would be a good pick for what your doing. Also the L35 HID would work great too.

utlgoa

Enlightened
Don't buy either the SR90 or a 35 Watt HID until you've checked out the Led Lenser X21. It runs on 4 D batteries, and its price has been reduced from $500.00 to around $264.00.

I own the Olight SR90 and an "On Board" 35watt HID Spotlight, and the Led Lenser X21 is the better light due to the Alkaline (or rechargeable) D-Cell Batteries used to power the light.

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SR-90 only makes 1480 Real out the front then 1200ish at 4 minutes

The hid at least will give you way more lumens

Or

Get a Varapower2000 = 2200ish OTF Lumens 33 modes, uses 4nimh C cells!

DJack

Newly Enlightened
How much are you willing to spend? Also, you said that you want to illuminate animals a long way out. Are you walking, driving in a car, or looking out your front door? Are you going to run after them? The LED would be more vibration resistant and portable. Would you consider making your own HID by modding a Thor? For the price of strapping a 55watt HID kit in one of those, you wont find anything else close to the output. And as for instantaneous brightness, the auto bulb/ballast lights start with a very bright flash and settle to full power within 10 seconds. Battery life? The light you should get depends on what you are going to be doing with it.
Just my thoughts. Correct me if I am wrong on anything.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the money, I would never buy an SR90. I think there are much better options. The Verapower2000 is a great LED option. There are many HID lights that will put out more lumens with more lux and are smaller and lighter. If Lux in a smallish light is all you are after, the DEFT can't be beat (well, unless they are not made anymore).

jiuong

Newly Enlightened
The HID will definitely have more throw than the SR 90, however the lamp of the HID will be very fragile.

pc3

Newly Enlightened
I've just seen the wiseled 2600 tactical this looks amazing better output than the sr 90 in a smaller package.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I were considering an SR-90, I would buy the SR-91 instead, but that's just me. Personally I prefer the smaller package of the SR-91 and considering lumen output is basically the same, and they both use the same proprietary battery pack, which means runtime's will be very similar as well, I'd go with the much smaller and lighter SR-91. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HID will definitely have more throw than the SR 90, however the lamp of the HID will be very fragile.

The first part of your statement is true in that most 35 watt HID lights will outthrow the SR90. However, it has been proven by heavy HID users on CPF that HID lamps are anything but fragile. They have on average a lifespan of 3000 hours and can take vibration, jolts, etc. very well without damage.

To the OP, what is your budget? You can get a Titanium Innovations N30 for around $180 compared to the $400-450 of the SR90. The N30 will have more total output and throw. There is around a 1/3 more lumen output and the lux is about double. The N30 is bright as soon as you turn it on, but it continues to get brighter and better in color for about a minute after turn on.

If you think you are going to be turning the light off and on at less than one minute intervals then the LED would be better than HID. There are quite a few threads about the N30 and the SR90. Definitely research more so you can know the pros/cons of HID vs. SR90 to tailor to your needs.

Jannis

Newly Enlightened
Don't buy either the SR90 or a 35 Watt HID until you've checked out the Led Lenser X21. It runs on 4 D batteries, and its price has been reduced from $500.00 to around $264.00.

I own the Olight SR90 and an "On Board" 35watt HID Spotlight, and the Led Lenser X21 is the better light due to the Alkaline (or rechargeable) D-Cell Batteries used to power the light.

Hi, witch has the best throw? SR90 or X21? and witch is the biggest?

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, witch has the best throw? SR90 or X21? and witch is the biggest?

The Led Lenser X21 is rather long.

It comes with a shoulder strap to carry it and I think after trying one it definitely is needed.

It is like carrying around a baseball bat.

It has come down in price but.

It certainly throws pretty well and it does run off ordinary D cells.

It is getting a little old compared to the latest generation of high powered HIDs like the Titanium Innovations series of HIDs or the SR90.

I bought a Teking 35W HID (tube style) torch and it turned out to be a complete disaster in battery problems and the bulb was potted out of focus and so could not be focussed properly.

I finished up buying a Stanley 35W HID and have never looked back.

It is a pistol grip HID but I can easily change the SLA battery at any time and the throw is spectacular.

The Olight SR90 has a beautifully smooth beam and you can buy spare batteries for it if you need extra runtime and it has two levels of brightness plus a strobe function.

It would be ok to say buy both, but you would not carry both around with you.

There are so many things to think about when buying a torch/flashlight nowadays.

It was so much easier in many ways back in the old days, but it is certainly interesting with the huge variety of types and models on offer now.

Be guided by the threads on CPF by the people who actually use these torches and have learnt by experience. :wave:

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Stanley HID would be a good option,too, IIRC it overdrives the HID lamp at startup to overcome the slight warmup time of a lot of HID lights. It also is around $70 at WalMart and other big box stores.

pc3

Newly Enlightened
The first part of your statement is true in that most 35 watt HID lights will outthrow the SR90. However, it has been proven by heavy HID users on CPF that HID lamps are anything but fragile. They have on average a lifespan of 3000 hours and can take vibration, jolts, etc. very well without damage.

To the OP, what is your budget? You can get a Titanium Innovations N30 for around $180 compared to the $400-450 of the SR90. The N30 will have more total output and throw. There is around a 1/3 more lumen output and the lux is about double. The N30 is bright as soon as you turn it on, but it continues to get brighter and better in color for about a minute after turn on.

If you think you are going to be turning the light off and on at less than one minute intervals then the LED would be better than HID. There are quite a few threads about the N30 and the SR90. Definitely research more so you can know the pros/cons of HID vs. SR90 to tailor to your needs.

I am a little bit of a buy once cry once kind of guy..... If you guys said the wiseled2600 was the bomb I'd save for it, what l like about the wise I'd it's size. The coast led lenser at $264 seems fine despite being very old technology, I like the idea that it will run on the d cell which you could recharge on 12v when remote. The n30 looks good but the shape of it does not appeal, I like the flashlight style.

Can you charge the sr90 via 12v in any way? That would neally be the seal the deal for me!!

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're correct, the Stanley HID does overdrive the bulb initially to reduce warm up time. It's a really good, cheap light with serious output. I took lux readings of mine a while back and it made somewhere in the neighborhood of 250,000 lux at 1 meter. For comparison, the SR-91 was somewhere around 60,000 lux at 1 meter if memory serves me correctly. These readings were calculated from 5 meter readings.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SR-90 only makes 1480 Real out the front then 1200ish at 4 minutes

The hid at least will give you way more lumens

Or

Get a Varapower2000 = 2200ish OTF Lumens 33 modes, uses 4nimh C cells!

Hi bigchelis,

Tried to find more information about Varapower2000, but zero result at google search. Any link?