Difference between a Flashlight and a Torch?

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
It might sound silly, but what is the difference between a flashlight and a torch?

I have used these things for 40 years mainly in my work as an Electrician and I still am not sure of the correct terminology.

I have quite a few of these lights in all different sizes and shapes.

A torch could be like the Olympic Torch with a flame.

I have seen the term FLASHAHOLIC but never TORCHAHOLIC.

The history of how a flashlight got its name still eludes me.

When do you use each name or are they one and the same? :candle:

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
Which term one uses depends on more where your from mainly.

Kinda like how Australians may have there own English terms for many things.

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
trunk = boot

elevator = lift

flashlight = torch

color = colour

:)
_

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
My understanding was flashlight was a term predominantly associated with the Americas whilst the rest of the world simply called them torches :D

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
Torches are generally speaking not a directional light source (think Olympic torch) where as a flashlight is. You hold a torch above your head to provide 360degrees of light, like a lantern. A flashlight you have to aim at your target.

That's my take on their difference....

Last edited:

pounder

Newly Enlightened
i've always associated a torch with something on fire at the end of a stick..and i've always thought of a boot as something you put on your foot..different cultures across the oceans I guess..:grin2:

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
trunk = boot

elevator = lift

flashlight = torch

color = colour

:)
_

I was expecting a very detailed lengthy reply saying that I was stupid for not knowing why they were different.

I just thought that there would be some differences between the two as in Boats and Ships.

People get funny when you use the wrong name, but to most people there is no difference but to Marine enthusiasts there is a big difference.

In marine terms there is a large variation in things that float on water as in Dinghy, Runabout, Cutter, Cruiser and Ocean Liner.

Mariners usually correct the unenlightened pretty quickly.

Ok, with the amount of posts you have put up I would say you are probably on the money.

So there is no distinction between Torch and Flashlight at all.

BUT, there are probably types of Torches / Flashlights as in Lanterns, Headlights and Searchlights.

Then again isn't any light capable of Searching for something?

Just how big does a Searchlight have to be before it is officially a Searchlight?

When I take the head off one of my torches and tailstand it on a table in a room isn't this then a Lantern that is diffusing light all around and probably bouncing off the ceiling?

I am lost now!!

:grin2:

Last edited:

The Light!

Newly Enlightened
I've always thought that flashlights refer to the said battery-operated lighting sticks, while torches can refer to those OR the traditional fire on a twig depending on the context. Flashlights and torches basically mean the same thing in the modern world, it depends if you're influenced by American or English culture and vocab... It's a bit like the whole 'organize'/'organise' controversy if you like.

As for searchlights, I associate the word with lights that aren't handheld (they have to be mounted on a car/truck/helicopter/whatever) whilst those that have the same amount of power and are handheld are spotlights.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents on the topic... :poof:

Last edited:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whilst it was an Englishman in New York (pun intended) named David Misell who invented the tubular battery fed lighting device it was actually Conrad Hubert (founder of Eveready) who actually chose to call it a flashlight. :thumbsup:

A nice detailed write up by DONOTDELETE on this subject can be found HERE ;)

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The majority of people in Australia would say torch.

I can't remember anytime that I heard somebody especially in my days as a Maintenance Electrician for over 30 years say "get me a flashlight".

Do you guys ever refer to flashlights as torches in the US?

Illum

Flashaholic
I'm guessing its the same between thermionic valves and vacuum tubes...
ones more descriptive and the other is more for reference.

Ozgeardo

Newly Enlightened
Being an Aussie who has spent quite a lot of time Stateside and also working with lots of "Septics" over the years I have managed to get quite a good hold on the differences in our versions of the English language.

Firstly Aussies can call someone a "filthy bugger" or "an old *******" and these are actually terms of endearment just like calling a Yank a "Septic" (A quaint Aussie piece of the vernacular with rhyming slang that refers to Yanks as "Septic Tanks").

I was judging a some car shows in Ohio and got the "mickey" when I asked owners to open their "Boots & Bonnets" (Trunks & Hoods), I had people taking their shoes and hats off!

But to keep this story about illumination devices (how's that for walking in the middle of the road) why is it that according to many of our beloved members in the States many of our toys are made of a-loom-in-um but for those of us from the antipodes our toys are made of al-u-min-i-um.

I find it quite refreshing dealing with the different spins on the English Language, even the difference between Aussie and Kiwi (NZ) can be very entertaining

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
By definition, all flashlights are torches but all torches are not flashlights, no ?

Ummm........no :grin2:

Torches are non-directional sources of light, i.e. provide 360deg of light like the open flame torches that could be a lit oily rag wrapped around a stick. Flashlights are a directional electrical illumination device so it's different to a torch. A torch is more like a lantern. A flashlight can be turned to a torch with the aid of diffuser wands and other adapters (e.g. the SureFire camping adapter thingy).

My $0.02

Last edited:

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am more confused than I was when I first started this thread.

I have looked at Wikipedia and other resources but it is still bewildering.

You say TEMAYTOES

I say TOMARTOES

This is spinning me out!! :crackup: