Why do I need a LS4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarshalMoroni

Newly Enlightened
Well, I never would have thought that I could become a flashaholic, but I find myself checking the board a couple of times each day just to see if anything new has been posted. I have also started an EDC routine with my recently acquired LSH-S. So here's the question (I know the flashaholic answer ...Buy more). If I'm happy with my LSH-S, why do I feel this need to buy a LS4 as soon as it's available? I have no real specific need, simply a desire to have a really good, small flashlight I can carry and rely on. I love the idea of the burst mode, but how practical (I know what a goofy concept) is it for a newbie, with little expectation of doing any mods or of owning a trunkful of lights to desire a fancier version of what already is the coolest technical toy / marvel I have ever owned?

Aside from the cool factor, what are the practical reasons (yes this will help me rationalize to myself and explain to my wife) are there for wanting a LS4 (as soon as it's available, oh please let it be soon!)?

Thanks for your sage advice, this is a great forum.

Marshal Moroni

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why you need an LS4, to quote my dad...."Because I said so."
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is practical because it will have user adjustable brightness levels. Once you set them, you will have the ability to choose between your preference of low, high and boost from just the press of a button. So you won't need to use more light than you have to for a particular task, extending battery life in the process.

Right now, with the LSH, it's full on or nothing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I agree with Sean. The biggest thrill I'm having after hearing about the LS4 is the ability to adjust the output. For those times you're in a movie theater, etc you can use that real low output option, so you don't disturb the folks 10-rows down. Use high power for taking that walk at night with your significant other. You hear a sound up in the tree, you hit the boost mode to see that owl or bird which was only a shadow before activating boost mode.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Variable brightness/runtime in a much smaller package than the Eternalights.

Brightnorm

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because it's soooooo cool. All seriousness aside, in addition to the above, the LS4 should be more efficient in drawing power from the battery. Plus a nicer switch from the Kroll, plus the ability to be able to swap out the lens to a glass.

CM

paulr

Flashaholic
Coolness factor is the main reason, plus more reliability than the Kroll, plus adjustability. Though I still think that for not disturbing folks in the movie theater, it's best to use a red LED. A red Photon II on your keychain does nicely for that--an adjustable Luxeon is way overkill.

BullPar

Newly Enlightened
I can see it now "welcome to the flashaholics recovery group" I only NEED one flashlight but i am addicted and must have more. I tell the wife at least its not drugs...

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also agree with Sean. The ability to change light output and with it the corresponding run time seems very valuable. Even more so now that the experiences of East Coast Blackout survivors have been recounted here. I think that option is so valuable, it might be worth it to sell your LSH-S at a loss to buy an LS4.

GregR

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
You wouldn't know the bliss of having a microcontrolled light with all the cool functions you will ever see on a flashlight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Vince.

Sharp

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Though I still think that for not disturbing folks in the movie theater, it's best to use a red LED. A red Photon II on your keychain does nicely for that--an adjustable Luxeon is way overkill.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about a Photon Covert? The color wouldn't matter and you could use white instead of red and still, not disturbing people around you.

I'm sure I'll buy the LS4 as soon as it will be available to me but always carry with me other two or three flashlights. An ARC AAA would be perfect with the LS4.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with most of what's been said already. The main reason to buy an LS4 will be its great versatility. If you need it to last for a 100 hours or more, it can. If you need it to throw out an incredible amount of light, it will. The boost should be every bit as TWICE as bright as your current Arc!

Then there is, of course, the coolness factor! You can post such threads as "I got my LS4 today - IT ROCKS!" and so on. Unfortunately, from the wife's point of view it is probably a totally gratuitous purchase. Here's what you do: talk seriously about getting an HID light, or an M6, or some other REALLY expensive light. Argue the case for it. Then when the LS4 comes out, condescend to "settle" for the cheaper light. Good luck! Oh, and, don't worry, the addiction will only get worse!

MarshalMoroni

Newly Enlightened
Once Again, I am indebted to the members of this board, not only was I pretty well convinced before this posting (now I am completely on board, how soon can I get mine????), but I think you have helped give me the ammo I need for the discussion with my Wife (often referred to as the Secretary of the Treasury).

Again Thanks to all,

Marshal Moroni

Likebright

Enlightened
This is my perspetive brakedown on flashlight distribution -- LSH goes in glove compartment. Ark AA camper Keys. Ark AAA car keys. LS4 clips in rear of front pocket. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
I haven't tried a covert Photon and am a little bit suspicious about the Photon III in general. I might try covert-ifying my Photon II with a little bit of shrink tubing. But I think even with a covert Photon, I'd still want a red LED in that situation.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
js said:
...Unfortunately, from the wife's point of view it is probably a totally gratuitous purchase. Here's what you do: talk seriously about getting an HID light, or an M6, or some other REALLY expensive light. Argue the case for it. Then when the LS4 comes out, condescend to "settle" for the cheaper light. Good luck! Oh, and, don't worry, the addiction will only get worse!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'm gonn try that. "Honey, this HID torch is only $700 dollars on special....Yeah, I agree, it's too much. The LS4 at $180 is much more of a steal. I'll pick up two... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif"

CM

Blikbok

Enlightened
It's so much more practical to have a single light with variable brightness than two different lights. I don't find juggling an E2 and an Opalec to be practical, yet I've done it before. (See sig) I'd rather pay for an LS4 than juggle an LS and an Arc AAA.

gyverpete

Enlightened
I will likely be getting an LS4. But I will also continue to carry my AAA with it. While the LS4 will cover a wide output range, and thus get used more than my current LS hybrid, I don't think it wise to dispense with a backup light. Also, my AAA is ALWAYS on me whereas the larger LS will only be part of my EDC.

Status
Not open for further replies.