Finally, I Have a Clip for My Jetbeam BK135A

savage_here

Newly Enlightened
It wasn't easy, but it's done. For all those looking for a solution, there is a way!!!

First, I ordered this clip from knifekits:

http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/product_info.php?cPath=60_101_105&products_id=534

I ordered the SS version. I'm not sure if I got the black version by mistake or if the SS version is just a dark gray, but I actually much prefer what I got to the look of the polished SS in the pic.

It took some grinding of the top and sides; it took some reaming of the holes (to get them more toward the center to match up with the small spread of the BK135A holes; and, it took a slight amount of bending to match the curvature of the light.

But, in the end, it worked out ok. It's not the most beautiful, seamless solution. But, by golly it works and it can now ride clipped to my pocket.

I ordered several clips and a few sets of screws. I'm sorry to say I can't remember which clip I "stole" these screws from. They may have come with the clip I used, or they may have been from another, so I apologize for not being able to tell you which thread size the BK135A is threaded to.

I locktited them in or I would remove them and let you know.

Anyway, here it is:

BK135A.jpg

Hope this helps.

Savage

Lucciola

Enlightened
Wow, that looks nice! As if it would have been designed specifically for this light. Well done, savage-here! :thumbsup:

I just fear that it might be so good that Jetbeam buys all supplies from your source and starts selling these clips to us for twice the price. :rolleyes:

Lucciola

savage_here

Newly Enlightened
Wow, that looks nice! As if it would have been designed specifically for this light. Well done, savage-here! :thumbsup:

I just fear that it might be so good that Jetbeam buys all supplies from your source and starts selling these clips to us for twice the price. :rolleyes:

Lucciola

Yeah, why this light has threaded holes for a clip, but is not supplied with a clip, and one isn't even available aftermarket from Jetbeam is a total mystery to me.

I don't understand why a manufacturer doesn't take all "small" lights in their lineup, drill and tap them all the same and then sell one or two clips as an accessory. It just makes sense.

HIDblue

Enlightened
That almost looks factory Savage! Nice job. I still can't figure out why JB would drill and thread the holes without even offering a clip for the BK135A??? It just doesn't make sense. They did the same for the E3S as well.

Great job on the clip though, and you're right, the muted color matches better with the camo.

matt_o

Newly Enlightened
I modified an EX-10 clip by bending it a little, drilling new holes, and cutting off the wings. The screw size is #3-48. I couldn't find short enough machine screws locally so I had to cut them off a little bit. Drilling through the clip was very difficult though. Yours might be a little easier. You might consider grinding off the top a little bit so it can still tail stand.

savage_here

Newly Enlightened
I modified an EX-10 clip by bending it a little, drilling new holes, and cutting off the wings. The screw size is #3-48. I couldn't find short enough machine screws locally so I had to cut them off a little bit. Drilling through the clip was very difficult though. Yours might be a little easier. You might consider grinding off the top a little bit so it can still tail stand.

You know, I actually started via that route with another clip. But, as you say, drilling the holes was next to impossible, so I scrapped that and went this route.

dyril

Newly Enlightened
I didn't notice the extra hole initially; it looks like a great match otherwise!
Why not grind away that extra protruding hole.. would doing so weaken the clip and/or leave a raw steel edge?

savage_here

Newly Enlightened
I didn't notice the extra hole initially; it looks like a great match otherwise!
Why not grind away that extra protruding hole.. would doing so weaken the clip and/or leave a raw steel edge?

Frankly, once I got the holes matched up and the curve semi-correct, I got tired of messing with it.

I think that the hole could be cut in a sort-of "V" shape and then smoothed out and it would look great and tailstand perfectly. But, it tailstands now, albeit a bit wobbly, and I can count the number of times I've "needed" to tailstand an edc light on one hand, so I'm inclined to leave it alone. The extra hole doesn't bug me aesthetically and it's functional now.

Guess I'm just too lazy to work on it any more!

Savage

MK9

Newly Enlightened
That's it!! I now have my new EDC flashlight. :twothumbs

thanks

matt_o

Newly Enlightened
That's it!! I now have my new EDC flashlight. :twothumbs

thanks

You were interested in how I did mine in a different thread but since this is about Jetbeam clips I'll post it here.

ry%3D400

Like I said in a previous post this was challenging to drill the holes. Otherwise it turned out pretty good.

kyamei

Newly Enlightened
I had this posted in one of the other BK135A threads, but I figure it's good to have the various options all in one place for people searching for solutions.

This took no more than 5-10 minutes to do with most of the time spent on the actual installation (clumsy fingers). The only tool I used was a Leatherman (pliers and file).

Instead of trying to use the pre-threaded holes, I just used those slots around the tail and a threaded backer. I used a couple of nuts from an old hobby (D/EX10 clip screws are 2-56 thread), but the D/EX10 clip backer could be modified to work.

img0998t.jpg