2aa 100-120 Lumen 1 or 2 stage light for bikemount

vickers214

Enlightened
Hi all,

I am currently using a P10A2 as a bike light but was thinking of something different for a couple of reasons.

What I like about what im using is the bomb proof build, easy to operate with gloved hands head/modes, pure white beam on high, forward clicky( I hate reverse clickies almost as much as the colour Green!) and nice beam profile.

What I dont like is the size its a chunky 2aa, the tail standing 'bits' are very thin and dig in your fingers when using the clicky, and on the usefull 60 lumen low the anti reflective coating makes the light have a Green tint:sick2: I HATE Green tints the most.

What I want is something the size of the L2d 144mmX21mm (perfect) with about 100-150 lumen high, and one mode will do, but if it has a low then 40-60 lumen would be good, with a nice white tint and usefull flood.
I have thought about the Fenix E20 and L2t but the E20 is to 'big' but perfect output/runtime, and the L2t the runtime is to short on high and the low useless on a bike, and Fenix quote runtimes on 2700 Nimh and i use 2000Mimh Eneloops.

I though oe the Quark 2aa, but I have the aa and the R5 was Green:sick2: and now its been modded to an white R2:), the flood on the R2 is no good for biking.

Can any one think of anything at all that might suit as im all oout of ideas!

Cheers!

tandem

Enlightened
Maybe check out a recent thread from GunnarGG showing LD25 and LD40 beamshots. The LD25 2xAA compares really nicely with the 4xAA LD40. Listed output is 180 high, 45 low.

Perhaps GunnarGG could comment on the colour output of the low stage but I expect that it's not going to look green - the light uses the neutral tint bin XPG R4.

Edit: In another thread I found a comment from Gunnar on the lower output "It is a little bit towards the green in the lowest setting" -- but it isn't clear if he is talking about the 45 lumen low or the 3 lumen low in camping mode. Should check with him -- I'd be willing to bet the latter is the case and that 45 lumen output looks fairly neutral.

Admittedly his beamshot thread is what drew me to suggest this light - it looks good mounted on his bike. But as I look at it more closely, it does seem appropriate. The two-stage output and other modes "hidden" is good for cycling, also it looks like the tail clicky would be easy to activate with cycling gloves. It's also a fairly trim light - not quite as slim as the LD20 but more trim in shape than say the EagleTac.

Last edited: