L4 owners, do you miss the throw of your old E2e?

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Miss it? I have a spare E2e head to put on when I want it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i cheat...

-Jason

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: L4 owners, do you miss the throw of your old E

I don't miss it because, along with my new L4, I have an E2+ (P61 120 lumen lamp). But yes, on occasions when I need throw, it is quite obvious that the L4 diesn't have it.

Paul

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK, here I go again. You guys have got be getting tired of hearing me say this, but... I have a KL1 with an R2K HD in it and it has been overdriven to 700mA. I have THROW and a more than ample side spill. But hey, the A2 is a good idea too. I have one and it's great. The LEDs are very comfortable for up close work and when you need it, THROW. Mine actually out throws my E2e. In fact, I can't remember the last time I used my E2e head.

Size15's

Flashaholic

For a while my EDC was an L4 and A2 which was great for having the A2's bulb for throw (and red LEDs for sneaking about)
I've sinced replaced the A2 with a better SureFire I got a couple months back...

Al

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
I've sinced replaced the A2 with a better SureFire I got a couple months back...

[/ QUOTE ]

TEASE!!!

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just returned from Death Valley backpacking with my 11 year old. She had the ole E2e and I had the new toy: the L4.

I'll just say the the L4 is all one would need for a campsite light. The extended power E2e-P61 Mod could help for those times when you are trying to search out bump-in-the-nites at long range. The L4 really lit-up the trees and the campgrounds. So did the regular E2e-but not as globally.

So I think PaulW's recommended pairing is all one would need for a campsite light set.

And if you are wondering where the trees are in Death Valley National Monument-well they are up in the Panimint Mountains on the Western border. We camped one night at 8,100 feet and again at 10.000'.

Shark

Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif L5?

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast

I do miss the throw a little, but the L4's close to medium range flood makes up for the difference.

Size15's

Flashaholic

Better than A2 [for beam throw] would indicate a standard body SureFire such as the C2 (but you already know I have up to four of those). I could be trying out one of the D Series (which I haven't had in any of my photos). The D3 has always been one I wanted to try out. I wear 5.11's so the length of a three SF123A model isn't an issue. And it does have a pocketclip which I find vital for EDC...

Al

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast

D /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif As in M2 <font color="red">D </font> ?????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic

The 5W Luxeon meant that the "Digital Series" proto-types were shelved a long time ago.
The throw of the M2D proto-types I saw weren't all that anyway.

The D3 does indeed make a perfect host of the SRTH although I've not EDC'd that combination yet.

Al

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Wonder if they've given you the L2? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
oldgrandpajack

Size15's

Flashaholic

Beam throw like I'm talking about requires a larger reflector and/or smaller light source.

Al

John Frederick

Enlightened

I wonder if we won't find out from SF real soon, since Al has had this light for months and only now is giving us hints.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
Beam throw like I'm talking about requires a larger reflector and/or smaller light source.

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds and smells like an L2. In my minds eye, the L2 uses the A2 body and Tail Cap. The bezel diameter is the same as the A2, has a modified reflector and a single 5 watt LED. The overall length may be a tad longer if PK decided to use a deeper reflector. I doubt it's longer though. I suspect it's two output levels are about equivelent to the A2's, probably more lumens on the top end. It has to have a longer run time also. Al, how close is my dream light to what you have in your hands? You are a big tease. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
oldgrandpajack

PS: Don't know the metric conversion for a tad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic

I am NOT talking about the L2 and you haven't notice my hints for ages.
The D3 has been discontinued so it's the opposite to what you think!

Al

kz1000s1

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
For a while my EDC was an L4 and A2 which was great for having the A2's bulb for throw (and red LEDs for sneaking about)

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

So Al, how is the KL5? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif