Got my first modern light (Fenix E01)

JCK

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone, just picked up a Fenix E01, as the only other torch I had before that was was some cheap incandescant light, that was duracell brand or something. Worked well back then, but that was probably 6 years ago.

But I must say, this tiny fenix rocks!

Picture114.jpg

I've known about LED lights for a few years, but just hadn't picked on up yet, as I didn't need one, but now this little fenix has made me want a heap of more lights.

So the next one on my hitlist is the Olight M-20 Warrior Premium. Going to be using this is a duty light. (paramedic) Could I also ask for some other suggestions?

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Got my first modern light

try out a 4sevens preon revo for another aaa light -- it'll be brighter, have a better beam, and look excellent on your keychain ;).

how about a quark turbo, too?

Belstaff1464

Enlightened

Congrats Jono !! :wave:

You're on your way to becoming a true Flashoholic.

Thanks again for all that Customs info. :thumbsup:

JCK

Newly Enlightened

try out a 4sevens preon revo for another aaa light -- it'll be brighter, have a better beam, and look excellent on your keychain ;).

how about a quark turbo, too?

Thanks for the reply. I must have missed the revo, it looks really good, like a super E01, I'll definately have to check it out. But I also want to get a liteflux LF2Xt :sigh:...so many lights on my list and I've only just started.

I'll definately have to do some research on a good "tactical" esque light, seems there are quite a few lights out there that would fill the role, and the choices of battery type. I know there are several threads on this topic or similar.

Do you know if there are any x2 CR123A flashlight comparison reviews out there that would perhaps make finding the info a bit easier?

Congrats Jono !! :wave:

You're on your way to becoming a true Flashoholic.

Thanks again for all that Customs info. :thumbsup:

hey no worries. I also sent you another email about that.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast

Paramedic! I would suggest at least a 4d Mag with some really bright drop-in. That way if the blinding light doesn't stop those weekend drunks, you can just hit them with the light.

Seriously though, there's HEAPS of good lights to choose from in virtually any battery format and you'll soon learn what you do and don't want out of a light (it's going to cost you some dosh though).

Avoid cheap lights like the plague and stick to the quality Chinese stuff or even stretch your dollar to some sweet USA made gear.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you like the Fenix series....

LD20+ (with R4 or R5 emitter if you can get them)
LD10+ : the 1-AA version of the LD20
The awesome TK40 for the nights you need a searchlight or to burn retinas.

Or you could go with all the myriad Surefire offerings....M3LT with impact bezel for the days things get wild.

nick-nack

Newly Enlightened

Great starting choice!

Where are you in Australia?

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast

The olight is a good light but I might suggest a p60 compatible light, like a solarforce l2 for starters. The reason being is versatility. It's the same form factor as the m20 but if anything goes wrong with it you can repair it or you just want something different you can always lego the light into a completely different one. Also you can get newer brighter leds like the xp-g with p60 modules. They never get obsolete.

Belstaff1464

Enlightened

Do you know if there are any x2 CR123A flashlight comparison reviews out there that would perhaps make finding the info a bit easier?

hey no worries. I also sent you another email about that.

Yep, got that as well. XM is on its way :twothumbs.

Somewhere in your Flashoholism make sure you get to experience a HDS light, and in particular, the Clicky. As for a 2 X CR123A light, check out the Malkoff MD2. Bombproof, easily upgradeable, and gorgeous beam. The official HDS and Malkoff dealer is in Bris. You're in Bris IIRC. You can try before you buy :grin2: See James at CoolTorches.com . He will treat you right.

JCK

Newly Enlightened

The olight is a good light but I might suggest a p60 compatible light, like a solarforce l2 for starters. The reason being is versatility. It's the same form factor as the m20 but if anything goes wrong with it you can repair it or you just want something different you can always lego the light into a completely different one. Also you can get newer brighter leds like the xp-g with p60 modules. They never get obsolete.

That is a good suggestion, but I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the options, so I'm thinking start of with a decent production light, and then after finding out what works for me, I'll have some knowledge to know what work and what UI's I like etc.

Or you could go with all the myriad Surefire offerings....M3LT with impact bezel for the days things get wild.

Thanks for the suggestions, The Tk40 is just a bit too large, as I'm looking at getting something that is 6 inches or less in length and a 2" diameter head or less, preferably 1.5"

Yep, got that as well. XM is on its way :twothumbs.

Somewhere in your Flashoholism make sure you get to experience a HDS light, and in particular, the Clicky. As for a 2 X CR123A light, check out the Malkoff MD2. Bombproof, easily upgradeable, and gorgeous beam. The official HDS and Malkoff dealer is in Bris. You're in Bris IIRC. You can try before you buy :grin2: See James at CoolTorches.com . He will treat you right.

be sure to let me know how you get on with customs. I've been looking at the HDS lights for some time, they look great for an edc light, and I might have to pick one up for just that. I didn't even know about Cooltorches being in brisbane, so that is a definate plus, to be able to handle them before I buy.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestions, The Tk40 is just a bit too large, as I'm looking at getting something that is 6 inches or less in length and a 2" diameter head or less, preferably 1.5"

No worries.. Surefire has plenty of stuff that meets your criteria. With what we term their "C Series" lights you can build virtually anything you want. (C series includes lights that have a P, G, and C designation, like 6P, C2, etc. they all share interchangeable parts). You could start from there. C series lights have a 1.25" standard bezel.

You will get into the bigger stuff eventually when you wander down the path of flashaholism: you'll soon be shouting "BIGGER, BRIGHTER, NOW!!!!" :devil: :D

Oh btw, if you are feeling a bit overwhelmed by the choices, you might want to try out the checklist:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/96884

Even if you don't fill it out and post it, it can serve as a guide to figure out what you are looking for in a light. There are no right or wrong choices :)

Last edited:

Belstaff1464

Enlightened

be sure to let me know how you get on with customs. I've been looking at the HDS lights for some time, they look great for an edc light, and I might have to pick one up for just that. I didn't even know about Cooltorches being in brisbane, so that is a definate plus, to be able to handle them before I buy.

Will do. CoolTorches are in Kessels Rd, Macgregor. James has a Solomons Flooring store there.

JCK

Newly Enlightened

You will get into the bigger stuff eventually when you wander down the path of flashaholism: you'll soon be shouting "BIGGER, BRIGHTER, NOW!!!!" :devil: :D

Oh btw, if you are feeling a bit overwhelmed by the choices, you might want to try out the checklist:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/96884

Funny you mention this, I actualy just finished filling it out in word, so that I can use when I want to start a new thread, or like you said, use as a reference to what I want.

I'll also be sure to check out the surefire C series. Surefire are just a little bit out of my price range at the moment, but I would like to get one down the track.

I've also been reading some of the reviews on the massive throwers or the larger torches in general, looks great for camping and such. I think also, that unlike a LEO, I don't need a torch as much as a LEO might need theirs. As I don't do car checks or write out tickets, so thats why I was thinking something a bit more compact, yet still decent quality would suit me well.

So I'm going to go with the Olight M20 Warrior Premium. Going to get it from a local Aussie dealer, who gets it through 4sevens. I did a few searches, but I'm still a bit confused on a question I had about the emitters.

The m20 warrior premium R2 has the following specs

• 7 lumens, 150 hours
  • 90 lumens, 12 hours
  • 250 lumens, 4 hours
  • Strobe
And the m20 warrior premium R5 has these specs

• 9 lumens, 150 hours
  • 110 lumens, 12 hours
  • 320 lumens, 4 hours
  • Strobe

I'm leaning slighty towards the R5 as it has the higher low level, not that I'd really notice it though. From what I understand, the R5 has lower throw and more flood, but higher output, and the R2 has more throw but lower output. Is this right?

I'm just not sure which one I'd want, as I'm not sure of the difference I'd see between 250 lumens and 320 lumens.

but thanks for the helpful replies

Will do. CoolTorches are in Kessels Rd, Macgregor. James has a Solomons Flooring store there.

I'll have to check them out when I have some free time, it will be good to be able to hold and test the torches out. I think they will make the perfect EDC light, when I can afford one...

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm not too familiar with the OLights, but the SF's need not be expensive. Check out their 6PX Pro and their G2X Pro. Simple, straightforward 2-stage lights with click switches at a price that's quite affordable.

Folk like me would pick up say a C2 or a 6P incandescent, remove the lamp assembly and help ourselves to the aftermarket drop-ins :D (I actually do have both, and neither have their original lamps :D) $65 and $95 MSRP for the hosts respectively.

On the cheap scale of things, you could pick up a $14 DealExtreme drop-in, 5 modes and 320 emitter lumens (claimed). The soldering jobs are not always fantastic on these though, I'm not sure if I want to trust my life to one. They are freaking bright though. Was just playing with my C2 and one of these.

In the middle, there's Nailbender's drop-ins, $35 for a Cree XP-G and as many or as few modes as you want. You pick the available combos of modes and batteries you'd like to use when you order and he builds it the way you want it.

At the high end there is no limit to where your imagination can take you, but the wallet says no. So I will not mention those ;)

In a nutshell, with the SF's, the initial investment tends to hurt but they are infinitely upgradeable with all the custom creations coming out of CPF and other aftermarket options. I want another C2 in black.... ;)

Sorry if I'm making the decision so much harder.. but I guess that's why we have so many lights!

(PS: forgot to mention, if you don't want to pay retail, try the Marketplace. There's tons of stuff there at good prices - much better than MSRP.)

jellydonut

Enlightened

I think the best you can do is to try to score some old or sale-priced Surefire P60 hosts, either the 6P, C2 or something else.. Actually, you could just buy a Solarforce L2 considering that it's 'just' a piece of aluminium to host the light-producing electronics and batteries in, but that's up to you. I have yet to try the Solarforce products but people around here seem happy with them.

Then buy Nailbender modules for LED, or LumensFactory for incandescent.

Nailbender will build with any LED and any color you want. SST-90, SST-50, XP-G, XP-E? Check. High CRI, XR-E with lens collimator, Osrams, orange, deep red, green, blue, deep royal blue LEDs? UV in different wavelengths, IR in different wavelengths? Yeah, I guess you get the picture, Nailbender (Dave) can build you pretty much anything if it goes in a P60 compatible host. :nana: He will also pot the modules for durability for a tiny surcharge, and ships anywhere for a good price. I think, considering that the modules are built to order, the price is a steal and unbeatable. And the products are certainly great, I'm super-happy with my NB modules.

LumensFactory sells affordable incandescent bulbs that run all the way from single li-ions up to IMR-specific hotwire setups. I only have two so far, the HO-A2 replacement bulb for the SF A2 and the EO-9 9V P60 drop-in at about 380lms. Both absolutely awesome. On the same note as with Dave, LF ships anywhere without charging an arm and a leg for it.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Welcome to CPF mate!

That form factor is the best. To have something that small with that endurance is always comforting to have in ones pocket. I myself am into Arcs but Fenix puts out solid products.

Good luck building out the rest of your collection.

kelmo

JCK

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for that info on surefire everyone. I think that when I do go down that track, I'd probably pick up a surefire host from the market place, and then have a look at nailbenders dropins, as this would probably be the best option cost wise.

The g2x pro looks like a really good light for me to "taste" surefire. On a unrelated note, is the price cheaper because its built overseas? I was reading the thread about them but couldn't find the answer. This doesn't bother me much, as I have heard the quality is still surefire quality.

jellydonut

Enlightened

No, it's still U.S. made. You can tell the difference from the rest of the lineup though, no positive contact spring, visible circuit boards, head loctited to body. Don't mount it on a weapon and it should be fine.;)

TITANER

Newly Enlightened

Wonderful suggestions :thumbsup:.JCK ,Congratulations:),you are on your way to the flashaholic.But ,this is not a easy job,maybe it would take you a long time.

JCK

Newly Enlightened

thanks for that bit of info jellydonut.

Hey Titaner, I've heard many good things about the Fenix lights, but I think I would go with the quark equivalents.

And thanks again for all the suggestions, very helpful, and I've added a couple more lights to my list.

@Belstaff - do you know if James at Cool torches is able to get custom built HDS lights. I mean the ones you can customise on the website, with different UI's, outputs, bezels etc?