need opinion on CMG infinity vs Ultra

blacksmithtech

Newly Enlightened
Got a hankerin' for a CMG - I can't decide on the original version or the Ultra. Is there any reason to chose one over the other. I am looking for rock solid performance and resonable run time. I figure the CPF'ers who have been around longer than myself should have some pretty good ideas!

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Ultra is great, imho, and I find it a bit brighter on lithium AA batteries, at least it seems so to my eyes.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
The only advantage the Infinity would have is a longer run time, but the Ultra is producing a lot more light and still has a pretty decent runtime.

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
From Craig's Site: The brightness is DEFINITELY much greater than that of the original white Infinity; this new Ultra puts out enough light to make it truly useful in many more situations than the original.

From Quickbeam's Site: Output is also very good for a single LED light. The Ultra, like the standard Infinity, has a step-up circuit built into the head of the light. The difference is that the Ultra is tuned to put out much more light (28 Lux vs. 6 Lux on new batteries) at the cost of battery life. The Ultra is advertised as providing light for 25 hours as opposed to the 40 hours achieved by the original Infinity.

From BrightGuy: The Infinity ULTRA Task is twice as bright as the original Task Light.

This question came up at an opportune time as I've been debating this myself. I'd definitely pick the Ultra over the original for the higher output, but does the Ultra only come in the HA green? This would be a gift and I would prefer the "Ice Blue" that the original comes in to the HA green that the Ultra comes in. Also, how does the premium Arc AAA compare to the Infinity Ultra? I'm not really worried about run time for this comparison--looking mainly at light output.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shock!, gasp!, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif I am surprised no one mentioned the Arc AAA yet. Close to the same brightness as the Infinity Ultra, but much smaller size. Ultra gets about 8-10 hours of runtime and the Arc AAA about 5-6.

Edit: Shock!, gasp!, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif DOH! 5 min. too late.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wenghost,
What is the gift intended for? EDC? would the Arc be better for keychain use? Pocket carry? For the price of an Arc you could get the Ultra and a lithium AA or two to get them started. I believe the Ultra comes only in green.

Either choice would be favorable imho.

Personally speaking, it would depend on how good a friend they are to determine which price tag I go for. Also what kind of views they have. Would they prefer the "cute" smaller convinient Arc or would they like the ruggedness and more "heft" of the Ultra.

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
My friend paddles and often ends up at the beach at night for various reasons. Aside from the ASP Mirage I bought her a couple years ago I have not yet been able to bring her over to flashaholism (she does EDC a blade, though). What I was looking for was something waterproof (naturally since I want her to keep it on her even when paddling) and something that would go on one of the quick release lanyards that I bought from Tardis. As it is going on a neck lanyard, I don't think that the size difference will be a factor, but does the Ultra weigh considerably more than the Arc?

As for price, there's not enough difference between the Arcs or Infinities to make me care about price. This would probably be part of her Christmas present as I'm already up to around $100 for her birthday (on the 30th). Of course I'm actually up to around $60 on her Christmas present too. I had considered an Arc LSH/LSHP, but I don't even have one yet and I don't think she'd appreciate the value of it (yet). She's getting a Pelican M6 (w/clickie and B270+LDF lens) as part of her Bday gift so I'll see how she reacts to that first. I know she liked the looks of the flashlight itself (she say my silver w/McModule), but I don't know if she'd actually carry it.

-"Wenghost" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
My Ultra has been running since 9pm last night (CST) on a Rayovac Alkaline I got out of a remote that wasn't working.(seemed to be a connection problem rather than dead batt(s))

It still has enough light for dark conditions, or looking into a dark corner behind the couch.

I normally keep a Lithium AA in it, as it definitely looks brighter to me with it, and liths have a flatter discharge pattern. Also liths don't care much about heat and cold.

So I say Ultra.

Thegonagle

Newly Enlightened
I have 2 Arcs and an original Infinity. For around the neck or on the keychain, any daily carry activity, the Arc is definitely a better choice. It really is significantly smaller and much, much lighter. The Arc is quite lightweight, while the CMG is surprisingly hefty. The CMG is also relatively bulky to in a jeans pocket compared to the Arc.

I admit, it's hard to decide by looking at pictures, but once you see and hold both, it gets much easier to rule in the Arc's favor.

5 hours at near full brightness is just fine for most people. For even better runtime on the Arc, just carry a spare AAA battery in the pack!

alanhuth

Newly Enlightened
Within the last week I received a new Ultra and a new ARC AAA Premium. According to my homegrown brightness test (distance needed to turn off my photocell nightlight), and by observation on a white wall, the beams are essentially identical. Therefore, I would go with the ARC because it is smaller, has a better feel, and because you can get it in the CPF limited edition purple! It is definitely the sexier of the two.

Speaking of sexier, mind if I stick my nose where it doesn't belong? You are wasting your time setting all this fancy flashlight stuff up for her. Will she appreciate all the PM6 mods you are doing? Is your effort being adequately reciprocated? Someone said you should give gifts that you would most want to receive yourself. That idea blows. You should give things that they want. The gift should reflect your deep understanding of her, not your deep understanding of flashlights. She should be giving you the cool flashlights. Do they have carbon-fiber paddles?

btw, my birthday's the 30th as well, so any extras can find a welcome and appreciative home right here.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
It's only natural to justify what you already have, so that's what I will do, with some reservations. I actually like the original Infinity (white LED) very much. It is used primarily for bumping around the house, reading in bed, finding the cat, etc. No, it's not as bright as my ARC, but for most of my flashlight needs it's aplenty. And, it will last and last on a half dead battery. I'm going to get an ARC AA when it's available, but I'll bet I still carry the Infinity around the home at night. Besides, any real flashaholic should have the original in their stable.

paulr

Flashaholic
The Ultra and the Arc AAA are about the same brightness, with the Ultra having a little wider spill. The Arc AAA LE is the same brightness as the regular AAA, but the LED is selected to have warmer color.

I have an Ultra and an Arc AAA and I actually find them a little too bright for close-up use in darkness (e.g. for reading). I bought a regular Infinity recently and it was sent to me but I haven't gotten it yet. If I had to pick just one of the CMG's, I'd certainly take the Ultra, but the CPF motto is buy both.

I agree with those who said the Arc is easier to carry than the CMG's, however, the CMG fits your hand a bit better when you're actually using it. If choosing just one, I'd say get the Arc, but the CPF motto of course applies here too.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
The regular Infinity is more suited to survival, due to its longer runtime, particularly with a lithium AA installed. For definitely waterproof (no quality control issues), get the Arc AAA.

I have both the regular and the Ultra, and in both, the led is tilted, thus exposing the circuit inside. These were both factory firsts.

paulr

Flashaholic
Question about Infinity Ultra (regular version, not Ultra-G): does the packaging include a battery? If not, can the package be opened and closed again without having to cut or otherwise damage the plastic? I'm thinking of sending one as a gift to someone overseas, and would want it to include a battery. Thanks.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I don't believe it comes with a battery.
As for how to open the package without wrecking it, I honestly don't remember. I think you can open and then re-close it without leaving knife cuts or other evidence behind, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been through 3 Ultra Infinities (the dark green one)

The package can be opened and closed again. Doesn't require a knife, just pull it open, insert battery, then put everything back in place (lanyard/pocket clip wrap, blister cardboard, then reclose it.)

The Ultra Infinity is a great light, bulky compared to Arc aaa (I have an LE) but good because it can run lithiums, and well AA's are more common around my family's household.