Zebralight H51 headband and pocket clip

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have just invested in a Zebralight H51 and am generally very please with it, however there are a couple of niggles I have and wanted to see if anyone else had found a good solution.

(click on any image to see a bigger version)

First the good.... look at the quality of this light

th_H51closefront.jpg

The machining is so sharp and clean but without sharp edges.

th_H51side.jpg

Then the first niggle. When you look at the strap as supplied, the rubber mount has two loops which the elastic passes through. This means you end up with two bits of rubber pressing into your head. I find this uncomfortable, however....

th_Straporiginalconfig.jpg

....all I had to do was unravel the strap and put it back together as shown. Now it is so much more comfortable :)

th_Strapnewconfig.jpg

Then the problem I have not yet solved, the clip. As you can see, the metal wire of the clip is going to rub against the aluminium and wear away the anodising and mark the light. Call me fussy, but I like a beautifully made object to stay that way unless I drop it, so why design a clip that is going to scratch the light?

th_H51clipproblem.jpg

One idea I had was to pull one of the wires out of the rubber mount and thread electrical heat shrink tubing along the wire and shrink it on. Then replace the wire into the rubber mount. So far I have found the wire to be pretty well embedded in the rubber and don't want to ruin it by forcing it to come out.

Has anyone else done this (pulled the wire out of the rubber to be able to cover the wire)?

If there is an alternative clip which will not scratch the light, please let me know.