Anyone has any ghost story to share?

Spango

Newly Enlightened
Anyone? Or has anyone gone ghost hunting with your lights?

ksbman

Flashaholic*
I used to see ghosts in the 70's, but man made chemicals were involved.

I have seen a UFO in Las Vegas. It was in the papers the next day. But that's another story.

I had a friend who used to see a ghost of a little girl in his bedroom. When she walked on his bed he said it felt like a cat was walking on the bed.

RevDavid

Enlightened
I have some stories, but they are probably too scary to post, as they are REAL! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

The only thing I will pass on, is that in one place where a friend of mine and I had a close encounter with something ghostly, we lost all our flashlights in a five minute interval or less... two of his and all three of mine. Maybe that's why I usually carry really good lights now. We were in a sub-sub basement of a building in the university when it happened, and had to get out be sense of touch alone. It was a lot worse than unnerving, but perhaps a little less than terrifying. I have been in places where it would have been a lot worse to be without a light... old gold mines, for example. Sometimes there are open shafts you could walk right into. At this point in my life, if I need a reliable light, I am usually carrying at least one Surefire, and so far they have not let me down in need, but I also keep a Photon II Red on my keychain, and it has an incredible battery life. I have other lights, but not for anything where I really need light.
David <><

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
RevDavid said:
I have some stories, but they are probably too scary to post, as they are REAL! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not scared............yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Peter

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to work in a metal shop that was in the basement of an old factory in Brooklyn a few years back and some nights when I would work late alone, I would flip my welding mask down and begin a weld and hear folks walking around behind me and murmuring or I would get the distinct feeling somebody was watching me or had just entered the room, and when I would flip up my mask and look around, sure enough nobody there (sometimes nobody in the building)! I would sometimes set tools down on the bench next to me only to have them disappear while focusing on work, I would search the shop knowing full well that it had been right there next to me and then I would return to the bench in frustration and find it right where I'd left it in the first place. There were two shop dogs that were there and sometimes the fur would stand up on their backs and they would bark at blank space. The incidents got me mad at a few points (at least mad enough to yell at or try to reason with thin air) and I got the chills on more than one occasion but I never really got scared.

Another time when my wife and I were on vacation in New Orleans we were at a bar early in the evening and were sitting near the Jukebox when a chair next to it slid straight out away from the wall, stopped, and then turned around to face the Jukebox. We turned and noticed that the couple across from us had watched it too, they were staring at the chair, white as sheets and left shortly after the guy got up and checked the chair for wires, finding none. Hey, it was one of the oldest operational bars in the country and a rumored former hang of the Pirate Jean Lafitte and his cohorts, so I guess it could be possible, eh?

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
I remember as a child when we'd get together with relatives. Sometimes the conversation would turn to tales of unusual occurrences that had happened to each family. I can't say that I know of the workings within each clan and group of kinfolks, but I'd suspect that happens quite frequently in similar meetings. The unique and enjoyable aspect of these story telling get togethers, was the absence of anyone pooh-poohing the others stories, or attempts to try to explain it in light of "reasonable explanation". The stories were told, and everyone listened with interest, only too eager for their turn to come around, so they could tell theirs.

I always enjoyed that. In recent years an effort to find such on the net has been made. It hasn't really been successful. It seems every time a story is told, there is someone feeling they owe it to science to offer a reasonable explanation, most generally an uncomplimentary evaluation of the mental state of the one recounting it. Or, there is someone that has formed an intense belief system in what they term as "paranormal", and seizes the opportunities to try "proving" their beliefs, usually indicating a contempt toward the sciences.

This thread already, by it's title, indicates an explanation of the tales as a request for ghost stories. I've no real problem with that, after all "ghost stories" is a common way of referencing them. I do hope though, we'll hear some stories with no one offering an explanation. Maybe it's too much to hope for.

Spango

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

You may like to take a look at this site that does scientifc investigations on paranormal activities in Singapore. This page in particular, gives a description on the lights used in the hunt. Enjoy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe I saw a "ghost" a couple of times in my first house in Phoenix, but nothing really scary about it, even though she startled me the first couple of times. I never did decide if it was just my imagination, even though my wife said she saw her several times too.

Not "Ghosts" but a couple of scary, seemingly supernatural experiences I had:
One is already written up on a website: HIGHWAY 666

The other one I never did write up before, only told it to a couple of people; I had actually forgotten about it (repressed it?) until I got together with an old army buddy a couple of months ago, and he reminded me of it.

Back in 1973 I was temporarily stationed in Ft. Gordon, Georgia : Went there for an Army communications course, and after it was over I had to hang around there for a few months for a security clearance for my new job.

Those months were a LOT of fun for me; not too much responsibility and only usually had to work a few hours every few days... I kind of got "adopted" by the Signal School Brigade Commander, and he made me kind of a "troubleshooter": I did pretty much whatever he needed a special hand at. (Mostly I just hung out at the NCO club nights and the pistol range days... ).

ANYWAY, there were a few weeks that the entire school was "out of cycle" and most of the barracks buildings were empty. One of them kept getting broken into by a certain segment of the society and used for Drug, alcohol and rape parties.

The "Boss" wanted me to move into the place and keep the scum out, so I moved into the vacant barracks. It was a pretty big place,larger and fancier than most military barracs in those days; No electrical power, though, since it was off-cycle, they shut it off to the whole block, so as to save the energy and $$$. I was issued a couple of those angle head flashlights and a Coleman type pressure lantern and bought a bunch of candles for my room.

Kind of hot; Late summer in Georgia, No AC in the building, so trying to keep a little cooler, I roomed in the basement. I spent a couple of nights of fun running people out of the place. A few death threats, but no big deal, no one ever actually tried to "collect".

Then, one night, I went in to Augusta to check out this new movie called "The Exorcist".... It was a little bit creepy, but I didn't believe in evil spirits, demons or ANYTHING supernatural in those days so it didn't scare me.

Got back to the barracks, made a couple of patrols and went to bed. A couple of hours later, I woke up to a pounding roar like someone was taking several jackhammers to the floor above me. Grabbed my weapons and flashlights, fully ready to do murder... Noticed in passing that my room was a little chilly... Hmmm..... Oh well, more important things to think about....

The second I opened the stairwell door to the first floor, all the noise stopped instantly. I checked every inch of the building and there was not only no one there, there was no evidence that there had been anyone there since the last gang I chased out. All doors chained and locked, all windows secure: Checked the grounds outside, Nothing.

Went back to bed. No more disturbances that night. Woke up about 5AM. There was FROST on my mirror and a bottle of soda that I had sitting on my footlocker had a rim of ice on top. Now, remember, it was a Georgia summer, probably didn't get below 80 degrees outside the night before and there was no power to the building.

Over the next few days, the entire barracks got cold, although my room stayed the coldest, leave water out and it would freeze anywhere from slush to (one time) solid ice. Your breath would "steam". Almost constant, creepy, noises throughout the building, day or night, although they weren't as loud as the first time. I didn't mention a word of this to "The Boss" or any of the other brass.... Didn't want to jeporadize my security clearance by seeming like a nut.

Did get a couple of my drinking buddies (other SF types) to come in and spend the night to prove that I hadn't lost my mind. They experienced the same things I did. Pretty much freaked them out.... Especially when I unobtrusively put on the cassette of Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells (the soundtrack to The Exorcist movie) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fortunately, my security clearance came through after about a week, and I got out of there without having my head spin around or puking green pea soup.

Sorry about the length of this story, hope you weren't too bored.

Red-T

Newly Enlightened
Nope. None.

Boring, isn't it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Otherwise, I just had written a lenghty answer detailing what I think caused my "experiences" (and I do assume that I'm mentally fit; at least haven't been told otherwise yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) when I re-read the thread with Empath's post saying

[ QUOTE ]
I do hope though, we'll hear some stories with no one offering an explanation.

[/ QUOTE ]
So, nevermind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
Red, "Empath" isn't the boss of this thread. Explain away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2dogs

Enlightened
I don't believe in ghosts and I think this whole thread is silly!

However there was this one time, back in 1986 It was a Friday night and I had gone down to San Luis Obisbo to pick up my girl friend Lynne to bring her up here for a horse event. She was a pre-vet animal science major at Cal Poly and lived with another girl, same major, at a vet clinic. Her room mate was new to the clinic and this was going to be her first time alone there. She was a little nervous since we wouldn't be back until Sunday night.

About ten minutes before we were going to leave the wierdest thing happened. Up in a corner of dining room I saw a face of what I think was a Spanish conquistador, complete with helmet. I looked straight at it for a few seconds before I closed my eyes and shook my head. When I opened my eyes it was gone. Then I made heap big mistake.I told the girls. To my girl friend it was no big deal. To her room mate it was a VERY big deal. She was flat scared.

Well, we left a few minutes later. When we came back Sunday night Lynne's room mate looked terrible. She said she hadn't slept at all during the nights and could only nap during the day. I mentioned this "conquistador" to the clinic's owner and he said the building was on a sight known to have been used by the Spanish explorers.

Like I said, I don't believe in ghosts. Lock the thread.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, Silviron, Kinda creeped me out there... Gonna have to sleep with a flashlight on my nightstand... wait, I do that already!

Red-T

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Empath said:
Red, "Empath" isn't the boss of this thread. Explain away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Understood /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But as stated, nevermind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Unfortunately, my stories would be pretty boring anyway (hearing whispers in derilict houses or in the forest, a loud thud when I was the only person at home, (of course while watching a scary movie in the night), vanished objects when they should be right in front of me (similar to above), a guy in high-visibility clothing vanishing at a train station when I couldn't really judge where to, a shared dream with my sister, movement/shadows I saw in the corner of my eyes etc.).

I read a nice story (I think on this board, though a search just now didn't turn it up) of a few people camping in the wild in front of some sort of cave, and some tinkling sound (like from a small bell - maybe a goat?) starting above the cave at dusk, but then during darkness moving to the ceiling of the cave, moving down the back wall, then along the wall towards them, all in the dark while they were paralized...

Damn, I would love to have been there!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
Oftentimes I'll set something down and it will be gone when I go to pick it back up again. I'll look all over for it and it will end up being right where I thought it should have been in the first place...

Last edited:

jtice

Flashaholic
Well,,, we all had our suspicions you were looney.
But, THIS definately confirms it !!!

... ... ... I'm speachless.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
when i was a kid.i saw a ufo realy. i recall it vaglely but i always ask my sister about it and she recalls seing it to.now i say ufo it was undified it was flying it was no plane it hovered now maybe it was somekinda someone did as a joke ill never know

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
ticey: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

i knew i shouldn't have said anything... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
David: I believe you probably have some pretty good stories, but I imagine they are demon related as some of the others I've heard from some of my past pastors. They've all been pretty freaky, makes you really wonder what goes on that we can't see. Care to share?

Silviron: I drove highway 666 many times when I lived in AZ and would go up to the San Juan river for flyfishing. One of these times included me driving it by myself at about 3-4am, but nothing strange happened to me, fortunately. Then again I was listening to CD's...

Roth: You ARE a looney!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Fortunately, I don't have any such stories to tell...

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok what i have to tell isn't really a ghost story, but it freaked me out the first few times it happened.

at the end of last year i was preparing for some major exams, and i would often keep irregular hours, staying up late to study and going to bed only when i was really exhausted and even the stress couldn't keep me awake. what would happen sometimes is that i would be extremely tired, but at the same time thoughts would be running through my head and i would fall half asleep, only to realize after a while that i'm semi-conscious, but unable to move my body at all. my eyes would still be open and i would still be able to see, albeit feeling very drowsy.

most of the time these episodes were just surreal and dream-like, but sometimes my imagination would run wild and i would get really freaked out about something. a few times this happened i even had some hallucinations (probably due to sleep deprivation), and i would freak out really bad. these episodes of temporary paralysis would last anywhere from a minute to about 15 minutes, and in one of the longer episodes, the hallucinations got really bad and i was actually seeing a dark apparition with glowing eyes walk towards me, with its hands (with really long fingers) outstretched, as if wanting to strangle me. usually after a while i would gain control of my neck muscles, and jerking my head from left to right would wake me up and everything would go back to normal.

i recall reading in local ghost stories a while back that such episodes meant a malevolent spirit was trying to possess your body, which was probably why i let my imagination run wild, inducing those horrid hallucinations.

anyway to cut a long story short, i later found out that what i was experiencing was a type of sleep disorder known as sleep paralysis, and its most common cause was stress and sleep deprivation. click here to read more about it. i was understandably very relieved when i found out what i was experiencing wasn't a paranormal event, and later episodes just got me annoyed. there was one episode in particular which lasted about 10 minutes, wherein i needed to urinate really badly but was unable to do so /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif