ARC AAA Head Host *Updated Pic**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heahost1-t.jpg

I was unaware of the Arc "survival" capsules thread when I came-up with the concept of a Head Host for the ARC AAA. I can't presume that it is a new idea anyway. None-the-less, I figured that I would ask and see if I could get one fashioned. The idea is simply using a shortened AAA body to host a spare head. I wear an AAA on a neck lanyard and thought it would be kind of cool to carry an alternate color head with me without the bulk and weight of carrying another full sized AAA with battery. I was thinking that the shortened body would have to be threaded. Nope! The master craftsman that did the conversion noted that the O-Ring provides a friction fit and that threading is optional! I don't have it in my hands yet. I was forwarded the gray scale image that I have colorized (above). I'll re-image the Head Host once that I have it rigged on a neck lanyard with an ARC AAA. What do you think?

A-6

gyverpete

Enlightened
Re: ARC AAA Head Host

Cool! When I saw the picture, I thought wow! A AAA microlight! A button cell, I thought. I've wanted to make one of those. A button cell works. I tried it. Of course, runtime will be significantly less and more expensive. But it might be a good idea as a true keychain size light for short bursts, or to have a second color that doesn't get used as much as your primary AAA.

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast

I asked to have a small space under the head; and probably not enough for a coin battery. That wasn't the concept this time around. But I see where you are going! Is the Sky the limit? Nope. There is deep space too!
A-6

DumboRAT

Enlightened

I want one, I want one, I want one -- a "button cell" model, that is!

That would be perfect for those of us whose only true need for such lights are as a "keychain-only" item.

=)

Allen
aka DumboRAT

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast

What a good idea, a button cell Arc. That would make an excellent keychain light!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

paulr

Flashaholic

I doubt a button cell can put out enough current to run the aaa's boost regulator. Button cell LED lights generally use 3 or 4 cells.

gyverpete

Enlightened

Atomic, that looks cool! What's color head do you have in the holder? Will you rotate colors or stick with just one alternate?

paulr,
I tried an LR44 1.5volt battery with an ARC head. I used a bent paperclip to make contact and it lights up as bright as with a AAA battery. I'm sure it won't be able to put out enough current for long, but it might work as a backup/second color-seldom-used-hardly-notice-it's-there light. Problem is, the polarity config. of button cells would require some modification. A simple solution would be to have a short piece of plastic tubing to seperate the sides of the battery(+) from the inside of the battery
tube(-).
Also, the LR44 diameter is a smidge too big for the tube. A different size would be needed. If I come up with a secure way to rig the head to a button cell, I'll do a runtime test, unless someone better equipped gets to it first. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have a feeling you're right. The runtime may be too short to be worth it. But then again....

Sorry Atomic, I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
gyverpete said:
Atomic, that looks cool! What's color head do you have in the holder? Will you rotate colors or stick with just one alternate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right now White and a spare Orange, or Red head. That gives me a bright search and also night-time safe eyes colors for when driving etc... I have an additional Head Host and that has Turquoise in it. So I have three for one...

A-6

B

Bunnymonster

I'm very interested in manufacturing one of these for myself, as far as I can see from the picture it consists purely of a cut down AAA body. Were there any other modifications made to the body to adapt it for holding of the head? how much of the body needs to be left intact to ensure a firm fit? any assitance would be very appreciated.

Bunny

alanhuth

Newly Enlightened
E

EchoSierraTwo

Yeah, but they are no longer available. Choking hazard I would guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.