What's the best $150 thrower?

Z

z_captelectron

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum, but I've been reading and researching alot over the past two months or so. I am looking for the best thrower at the 1-18650 size. I am a substation electrician and need a flashlight that will throw approximately 200+yards, to illuminate downed wires or broken equipment well before walking into the area. Throw is most important, spill would be nice, but I know you can't always have your cake and eat it too. Also size is important, I have large HID lights that do a great job, but I want something small that will always be on my belt. I'd like to stay under $150. I'm leaning toward this new Armytek Predator, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

firelord777

Enlightened
Armytek predator is around 18K of lux, and at 1.5 amps, a 18650 will last around an hour or less. The eagletac m3c4 xm-l is your best bet, throws as far as the catapult, SO many accessories, and has much more modes. 750 OTF lumens, at 1.7 amps at 40K of lux. or, at the 400 lumen setting, 20K of lux, still higher than the predator but with 3 hour runtime. Same price, still don't understand why the predator so expensive. even the cheaper Fenix TK35 beats it in throw. 27-30K of lux. personally, i would only buy predator if it was 100, if not $90.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Olight M20 (ClickHere). Nice light with great throw for a single 18650, but does not reach out to 200 yds. A couple of lights I'd like to get and maybe you should check out are the Lumentop TD-15 R5 420 lumens (ClickHere) or the Lumentop TD-15X with the XM-L emitter 620 lumens (ClickHere). The TD-15 has good looking throw (but still won't reach out 200 yds very well,) and the TD-15X with the larger XM-L emitter looks to be brighter but is floodier (would cover a wider area but won't throw out to 200 yds very well either.) These sized lights are great for EDCing on a belt, and maybe even in a pocket (a little large though for the pocket, but could work.) I don't know of a single 18650 light that will effectively reach out to 200 yds.

If you need bigger throw though, then you may want to step up to a 2 x 18650 light. I have the EagleTac M3C4 XM-L and man this think has monster throw for its size, and truly reaches out past 200 yds. ClickHere to check it out.
Plus it has a diffuser cap that just screws onto the front converting it into an incredible flood light. It has 5 output levels plus the blinky modes are hidden nicely out of the way. The 5 levels are: 5, 65, 192, 404, and 748 ANSI lumens. The UI is nice - it has a control ring to ramp up or down through these settings. This light is too bulky for carrying around on your belt though, but if it's going to just ride in your truck then it would be better than one of the single 18650 lights for your uses.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lumenpower Turbo Force 2.8in bezel in SMO with any of the D-Mini VX bodies will out throw mostly everything.

Mine does 78K lux with an XR-E R2.

With a XP-G R5 it does 57K lux.

I still have to try an XM-L in there, but I am sure it will be in the 65K range.

bigC

srfreddy

Enlightened
The lumenpower Turbo Force 2.8in bezel in SMO with any of the D-Mini VX bodies will out throw mostly everything.

Mine does 78K lux with an XR-E R2.

With a XP-G R5 it does 57K lux.

I still have to try an XM-L in there, but I am sure it will be in the 65K range.

bigC

Are those still availible?

Q8iGunner

Newly Enlightened
For the price point you have many choices like ArmyTek Predator, 4Sevens G5 Maelstrom and Xeno G42 all are 1*18650 format or 2*123's, then you have 2*18650's like ET M3C4, Fenix TK35 and I guess Thrunite Catapult V3 (which can use both 1 or 2 18650's with the extender)

And if I'm wrong about something I'm sorry because that's what I recollect from my memory.

bpsealy

Newly Enlightened
If i may add to the question...

What is the best thrower that is small. Pocket size if you will. I am looking for 200+ lumens.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum, but I've been reading and researching alot over the past two months or so. I am looking for the best thrower at the 1-18650 size. I am a substation electrician and need a flashlight that will throw approximately 200+yards, to illuminate downed wires or broken equipment well before walking into the area. Throw is most important, spill would be nice, but I know you can't always have your cake and eat it too. Also size is important, I have large HID lights that do a great job, but I want something small that will always be on my belt. I'd like to stay under $150. I'm leaning toward this new Armytek Predator, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hmm! I have a LensLight mini that does 200 yards easy. Just bought it and received it last Wednesday. 1xCR123 or RCR123 though. It's a great USA made light and it's gonna be available if your interested.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm! I have a LensLight mini that does 200 yards easy. Just bought it and received it last Wednesday. 1xCR123 or RCR123 though. It's a great USA made light and it's gonna be available if your interested.

Cmon, can you discern anything at 200 yards? I doubt it. You may be able to see a little bit of light at 200 yds but nothing else of substance. I own many lights (quarks, fenix, olight, nitecore, eagletac, zebralights, led lensers, maglites, & other cheapies) and I haven't seen any with a 1 inch diameter head throw the light anywhere near that far effectively. The only one in my line-up that can do it is my EagleTac M3C4 XM-L with a 2.4 inch head. Even my quark Turbo S2 with a 1.2 inch head struggles to get to 100 yds effectively.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are those still availible?

Yup. I got mine at the Batteryjunction.com. The bezel is sold seperately at batteryjunction.com here for $34:
http://www.batteryjunction.com/lumapower-dmini-vx-tforce-kit.html

Then the XP-G R5 D-Mini VX is $69.99:
http://www.batteryjunction.com/lumapower-dmini-vx.html

People have mentioned XM-L and SST-50 Throw lights with 2~2.4in bezels, but they offer nearly 50% less throw. Why? Because the Lumapower Turbo bezel is 2.8in and you can purchase XR-E R2, XP-G R5, and XM-L pills for $30~$40 bucks later on. This makes them highly upgradeable.

Unless; somebody can offer you a light for under $150 with more then 65K lux don't even bother and go with LUmapower. They make well over 70K lux with XR-E R2 pill (which I have a couple of them now). Now, if the OP wants lumens then thats another thread.

bigC

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cmon, can you discern anything at 200 yards? I doubt it. You may be able to see a little bit of light at 200 yds but nothing else of substance. I own many lights (quarks, fenix, olight, nitecore, eagletac, zebralights, led lensers, maglites, & other cheapies) and I haven't seen any with a 1 inch diameter head throw the light anywhere near that far effectively. The only one in my line-up that can do it is my EagleTac M3C4 XM-L with a 2.4 inch head. Even my quark Turbo S2 with a 1.2 inch head struggles to get to 100 yds effectively.

LOL! Aspherical lens! Trust me it'll do it and you can see it! Build quality is HDS level IMO. I dunno, is there a better aspherical thrower on the market? If there is I don't know about it. Oh BTW the newer ones are XP-G based hand picked high CRI's. 270 lumens on high and 5 lumens on low. 1.5 hour run time on high. Aspherical's don't get talked about a lot here, either that or I'm not paying enough attention. But either way I just picked up this light last week and I think it's great. Maybe not a good EDC since it is either a spot light or a flood light but I am really impressed by the quality. The high CRI XP-G is very pleasant as well when the light is unfocused for flood. The clip looks a little silly but it really is functional esp. for a craftsman like the op. I'm a railroad signal maintainer so I kinda have a little knowledge on what works good outdoors at night in inclimate weather. Anyway just my two cents.

Last edited:

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL! Aspherical lens! Trust me it'll do it and you can see it! Build quality is HDS level IMO. I dunno, is there a better aspherical thrower on the market? If there is I don't know about it. Oh BTW the newer ones are XP-G based hand picked high CRI's. 270 lumens on high and 5 lumens on low. 1.5 hour run time on high. Aspherical's don't get talked about a lot here, either that or I'm not paying enough attention. But either way I just picked up this light last week and I think it's great. Maybe not a good EDC since it is either a spot light or a flood light but I am really impressed by the quality. The high CRI XP-G is very pleasant as well when the light is unfocused for flood. The clip looks a little silly but it really is functional esp. for a craftsman like the op. I'm a railroad signal maintainer so I kinda have a little knowledge on what works good outdoors at night in inclimate weather. Anyway just my two cents.

Hmmm, with that aspherical lens....can't say without having it in hand. I just looked at some beamshots & still not so sure though (ClickHereToView). The light looks interesting, but on their website it is listed at only 6700 lux. It'd be tough to see much at 200 yds with only 6700 lux. Anyway, it's always fun to learn about new lights. The only thing I like about my LED Lensers (that seem to be similar to the Lenslight Mini) is the focusability of the lights....a useful feature & would be nice to see that line of lights improved.

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
I have posted these lights in the past True 250 yard throwers non aspheric. I have them on my Varmint rifles and they are so sweet it gives me a tooth ache every time I turn one on.
you wanna look at the XLR250 this light comes with mount, batteries and charger. Great service friendly people to deal with and they stand behind there lights 100% And they ship fast from the US. I'm not advertising for these folks just letting fellow CPF members know where to get some good lights. I havent bought the XLR100 yet so I dont know if they are as advertised I suspect they will be. If needed I can take some pics and post dimentions. I'll be headed to my hunting property this weekend will get some beam shots at 250 yards so you can see how nice they throw light. I may swap out the driver and star on one and install an XML and it's driver from one of my DBSV3's to see how much throw it will have with XML the light has a nice long and smooth reflector giving a very tight hotspot and little spill.

Joe

Acid87

Enlightened
I have had a quick scan through the replies but havent seen mention of the Solarforce Masterpiece pro 1?

I own this light and the throw really is impressive. Although the Solarforce bodies aren't the best the fact its a p60 type head you can use it on any number of P60 hosts.

Personally I use it on a SF C3 body. Although you could obviously get an 18650 host with some pennies to spare and maybe spend on a nice cold beverage :drunk:

Cheap and interchangable and obviously you could use CR123s in a pinch.

Steven

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had a quick scan through the replies but havent seen mention of the Solarforce Masterpiece pro 1?

I own this light and the throw really is impressive. Although the Solarforce bodies aren't the best the fact its a p60 type head you can use it on any number of P60 hosts.

Personally I use it on a SF C3 body. Although you could obviously get an 18650 host with some pennies to spare and maybe spend on a nice cold beverage :drunk:

Cheap and interchangable and obviously you could use CR123s in a pinch.

Steven

The Solarforce Masterpiece Pro bezel is a 2.4in bezel and does offer identical 50K lux performance like the Tiablo A10 XR-E R2. However; Throwjunkie got me into Lumapower and their 2.8in Turboforce smokes the daylight out of the Tiablo A10 and Solarforce Masterpiece Pro. In fact side by side the Lumapower reflector looks huge.

bigC

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
Big glad you like that light its a nice light Totaly happy with mine. Just realized I didnt add the link to my last post LOL ok I have a great excuse____ I'M OLD !! the light mentioned in that post is outstanding for throw will beat my Asphericals no problem will be testing it out with the lumapower this weekend at my property. here is the link to where I got the XLR250
http://www.elusivewildlife.com/products.htm?section=22&p=productsList&iCategory=6

Joe

blub

Enlightened
I just got an Olight M3X, awesome thrower which easily out throws my Jetbeam RRT-1, TK30 and TK35.
OOPS! re-read original post, nope, cannot use single 18650 in the M3X, only two and if you want it short without extension, 3 123's

Last edited: