G2 Clickie

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just FYI. I happened to have a clickie switch from a Garrity 2AA, I think. It was just laying around and I don't have a Garrity light, so I took my dremel to it to get the switch out. Whadda ya know. The switch is a perfect fit for the G2. The rounded edges fit perfectly into the G2 body and comfortably rests on the negative contacts of the switch. The down side is that there's no momentary. Just on or off. If you have one of these switches laying around, you might want to try it though. The no mementary is pretty cool too, in the sense that the G2's don't lock out so there's less chance of accidental activation.

Just FYI.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Chop,
Neat! I have a G2 that I converted with the Kroll clickie guts and tin foil. It works great but I'd rather have it like this with on/off only because of the reason you noted. Are these Garrity 2AA switches available anywhere separately? Also, does the G2 tailcap screw all the way down to meet the G2 body like it does with the cheapie Kroll switch conversion?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gene,
I don't know where to get the Garrity switches. I just happened to have one that came with Mini M@g light that I acquired. I don't know, if the Garrities are cheap, it may be worth it to buy one just to butcher. I'll try to take a pic and post it, so that you can see how it fit.

Yes, the cap screws all the way down.

Pics....

fb1208c9.jpg

fb1208cd.jpg

fb1208d2.jpg

fb1208d4.jpg

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Chop. That was fast on the picture! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif That is truly a NEAT mod! I think those Garrity 2XAA lights might be so cheap, (at Wally World maybe), that it would be worth getting one to cannibalize just for the switch. Thanks so much and this is a MUST DO for my G2!

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chop,
Again thank you and thanks for the pictures! I've got to do this to my G2. This is the BEST G2 clickie conversion so far! I always hated that gap between the G2 body and tailcap and it's there with the stock ones. Even the custom, expensive, ($15.00), ones leave that gap. This is so neat because the "momentary" feature is bypassed, (and unneeded), with the G2. This conversion makes it so much handier to carry in a pocket or a full bag and not have to worry about the momentary feature accidentally being activated.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Larry,
My Garrity switch came housed in an aluminum tail cap. It was screwed onto a mini m@g that I acquired. I'm not sure, but if Garrity makes a rubber model with a clickie, they may just have a standard switch that they use. I have no way of confirming this though.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have a lead where to get the Garrity 2XAA for this conversion? P-L-E-A-S-E! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gene,
I'm gonna search around on the web to find the flashlight that the switch came from. If I find it, I will post a link.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gene,
I PM'd the person that I got the tailcap from and asked him if he remembers where he got the switch. I may be able to help you out.

Larry1582

Enlightened
I took the black rubber coated plastic Garrity 2AA light I had apart. The switch in it is the same shape, but the contacts are on opposite sides. It fit the G2, but it was very tight. I had a problem with both contacts touching the metal sleeve in the light which meant I had a short instead of a switch and the light stayed on. When I went to take the switch out to make adjustments I broke it. I have one more of the lights and I will try again.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chop...i just PMed ya, but I'll put the info here as well. The switch came off of a Garrity 2AA light that was bought at Wal Mart. The light's package is labelled "Ozark Trail", but it's made by Garrity. The light cost about $8.00 or so, and I do know that the Wal Marts in my area still carry them. The light is silver with a black rubber hand grip in the middle of the barrel...ya can't miss it if you're at Wal Mart browsing their flashlights. There was a post done on this particular light about a year or so ago, but I can't seem to find it. Hope this helps!

PJD

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Chop and PJD. The kindness and helpfulness of members here always amazes me! The closest WalMart from me is an hour away but it will be worth the trip if they still carry these! I'll post here if I find them. Thanks again!

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cut that sucker out with a hack saw. If you cut at the bottom of the threads where they meet the switch housing, you can then pop the switch out.

I was of course, just in a destructive mood. If you look at it, you might be able to find a less destructive method.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wondering, has anyone else gotten this to work? I was starting to feel bad about posting because there was some difficulty finding the Garrity light. I'm hoping that no one went through the trouble of getting this light only to find that it did not work for them.