First use of my olight sr90!!!

• Thread starter z_DeepBlackZeppelin
  • Start date
Z

z_DeepBlackZeppelin

Well I got my much aniticipated Olight SR90 and had a good play with it over several nights on my parents 12 acre property.

What a superb light this is!! Fantastic throw with a very large spill area. It was really interesting comparing this to my Lenser X21. Basically the difference is this. That you get both the flood and spot of the Lenser X21 with the SR90 all in the same beam. With the Lenser, when you adjust the focus to a spot, there is absolutely no spill. And with the lenses opened wide, you get a large flood area with little throw.

The interesting this is that the SR90 still throws further than the X21 whilst still providing a flood/spill that is in fact larger than the X21. It's incredible that it can beat both the flood and spot of the X21 at the same time with one beam profile. I was able to illuminate every part of my folks 12 acre property with ease whilst giving me adequate spill to navigate my way around.

I did find that as I was carrying the SR90, I was switching hands regularly. The weight unaided does get tiresome. But with the shoulder strap, it's no problem at all. I would in fact say that with the shoulder strap, it's easier carrying the SR90 than say my Fenix TK45 in my hands. I would prefer to carry a torch over my shoulder for an hour than one less than half the size in my hands. I just think that's easier.

My only beef with the Olight SR90 is the lack of detailed instructions. They are quite scant and when I emailed Olight, I was directed to an Australian distributer. However, this distributor was very handy in regards to a question I had. I had in fact previously posted a thread about an AC adaptor for Australian conditions. The Australian distributor told me it wasn't necessary and that I could replace that cord with any cord that fitted the charger. My wife gave me a spare computer printer cable that plugged straight into the SR90's charger and it has worked perfectly, changing the charge status from red to green when fully charged.

Overally, fantastic flahslight and highly recommend. As I said before, one day I will buy a HID flahslight that will eclipse the SR90, just as it has eclipsed my X21 Lenser. Yes I could have bought something with over twice the lumens of the SR90 such as the Titanium Innovations L50 Locator which I seriously considered. But as everyone knows, HID's aren't good for switching casually on and off and then there's the warm up times. This is why I bought the SR90.

In a couple of years I'll check out HID flashlights again. I will eventually buy when there's been improvements in long warm up times. And I will eventually look forward to a flashlight with 5000+ lumens. But I am very happy with my Olight SR90. Unless you're living on a 1000 acre property or living out on sea, it has more than enough lumens providing both a superb long throw and a good and very large spill area.

Oh yeah, and the metal foam lined box is gorgeous too! So much more classier than the plastic moulded case of the Lenser X21.