Olight SR50 with the new 2x18650 carrier - Photos from Turn On to 35 minutes

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I just received my new 2x18650 battery carrier for my Olight SR50. The first thing that that one notices - if you have an SR50 - is that the two 18650's go in the carrier in opposite directions. This is completely different than the 6x123 carrier; all the batteries go into the carrier in one direction.

When the carrier is inserted, there is no rattle. I expected some, but when you place the carrier inside the SR50 tube, you will understand why there is none.

SR502x18650001.jpg

SR502x18650002.jpg

The two carriers next to each other:

SR502x18650003.jpg

And on top of each other to see the exact same width:

SR502x18650006.jpg

I was nervous to turn the light on given the way the batteries went in the carrier, but when I turned it on - awesomeness! It was equally as bright with 2x18650's as with 6x123's, at least to my eyes.

Now, I've never really ran the light for an extended time period with the primary batteries, but I wanted to with the 2x18650's, especially given all the talk about the new 4Sevens S12. I don't need to rehash what I think about the S12 - my posts are out there. But what I did want to do was show what the SR50 looked like over a given period of time.

As such, I charged up my two Redilast 18650 2900s to 4.18 each and put them in the carrier. I then proceeded to take photos every five minutes. For the .gif below (I used an online maker - sorry, I dont have the ability here at my home just yet), I was able to load up the turn on shot (with the bright gold wind chime circle at the top right of the first photo), and then every five minutes through the 35th minute - so eight photos all together. At the fifth photo (20 minutes), there is a slight movement of the light as I touched it to see if it was warm (which, btw, it was not; it was 31 degrees out here while I was taking the photos).

All told, I took twelve photos encompassing 55 minutes. The online .gif program that I used wouldn't take all the photos; they are, however, on my computer if I find a program that allows me to upload them all later.

When I was finished (at 55 minutes), I removed the two batteries and checked them with my meter - one read 3.44 and the other read 3.45. The light was warm to the touch, as were the batteries. The photos were taken with a Pentax K10D at 1/4 second @ f3.5, ISO 800 at 18mm and set on AWB.

You judge for yourself, but I see no drop to half of the initial output at 30 minutes or sooner or longer (remember, I have photos that go up to when I stopped the test at 55 minutes). The order is Turn on5 min10 min15 min20 min25 min30 min35 minTurn on, etc (again, sorry this is not bigger). Oh, yeah, finally, all photos were taken with the light on high and each photo in this .gif lasts about two seconds:

76c30aad5c17a6c9af9b6f5872bf77f7.gif

All in all, I think Olight has hit a home run with this new 2x18650 battery carrier. No chance of me selling or trading it anytime soon now. :laughing: