Super-dim AA light

yowzer

Enlightened
I'm looking for a small, single AA light with a very very low moonlight mode. How low? The moonlight levels on Zebralights and Quarks are too bright. Under 0.1 lumens would be ideal (Much lower, if ZL's claim of a 0.18 lumen output on the H51w is accurate (Which I'm not sure about; it feels about the same as the advertised 0.6 lumens on my SC50w. One or the other is wrong.)

Suggestions?

Someday I'll bite the bullet and get a HDS clicky, but I really do prefer AA over CR123 format.

theChipmunk

Newly Enlightened
Not trying to be funny here, but in all seriousness, how about a Maglite AA (or AAA) keychain incan?

scout24

Flashaholic
I've been fortunate enough to handle a new Jetbeam RRT-0 with the infinitely variable interface, (Thanks, run4jc!) and the low is at least as low as my Titans and T1A's. AA extender is available for a few dollars, and meets your criteria nicely. Sunwayman V10A is brighter on low but is an AA. At least as bright as my Quarks on moonlight.

Hobbs

Newly Enlightened
"Someday I'll bite the bullet and get a HDS clicky, but I really do prefer AA over CR123 format."

HDS with AA tube. Bite the bullet now, you will not be sorry!

archimedes

Flashaholic
I'm looking for a small, single AA light with a very very low moonlight mode. How low? The moonlight levels on Zebralights and Quarks are too bright. Under 0.1 lumens would be ideal (Much lower, if ZL's claim of a 0.18 lumen output on the H51w is accurate (Which I'm not sure about; it feels about the same as the advertised 0.6 lumens on my SC50w. One or the other is wrong.)

Suggestions?

Someday I'll bite the bullet and get a HDS clicky, but I really do prefer AA over CR123 format.

Yeah, the new variable JetBEAM RRT-0 output goes down to a claimed 0.003 lumen. In the dark, at the lowest setting, the LED is barely even glowing.

And with the battery extension tube, you can run it on either AA or CR123! Probably for the lowest, lowest-low, try powering it with a NiMH AA....

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try the Thrunite Neutron 1A (I think it's called) - a claimed .09 lumens in moonlight mode I believe. I love my 1C.

yowzer

Enlightened
I already have a rrt-0, though not the new ramping version. I like the light, but it's too big for comfortable pocket carry, especially with the AA extender. I like a smaller light (AAA would work too.) That Mag solitare suggestion has some merit, actually. :)

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglite solitare, may be brighter than .2 lumens but it's not hard on the eyes, pop the head off and it's all flood ;)

ruriimasu

Enlightened
Try the Thrunite Neutron 1A (I think it's called) - a claimed .09 lumens in moonlight mode I believe. I love my 1C.

+1. i missed the lowest mode as i thought the mode skipped. that's how dim it was. but its not that small in terms of AA size (at least to me).

Russ Prechtl

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the RRT-0 if the Zebralight is too bright. I will also be trying a Sunwayman V10A soon, and I hear that will go lower as well.

g.p.

Enlightened
I can't imagine anything lower than the low on my Zebralight SC51 being good for anything. I can read a book by it, but just barely.

What about using a red diffuser on one of the above mentioned lights? I'vre read on CPF that they are good for reading maps without losing your night vision.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gerber Recon on RC AA's.

The white is super low, if you need lower, you can switch to red, blue, or green by twisting the bezel.

This actually got me thinking...

How come Gerber understands what the military needs as far as low light for stealth, but the other companies miss the mark???

Last edited:

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only a small fraction of that amount of light is necessary for obstacle avoidance while half asleep.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you just want dim, go for a Gerber Infinity task light.. they're like $13 and can take some abuse. I could be wrong but I think they claim 100 hours off of 1 AA battery?