My first HDS - Question about the flush button & raised button switches.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own a HDS yet, but will be getting a rotary soon. I can't decide between the one with the raised button vs. the one with the flush button. I own a bunch of quarks, and do not like the flat tail switches because they are too hard to click (even the forward clicky flat tail switch for the quark turbo is too hard to click unless I reposition my hand.) I find the flat tail switches a little too difficult to bend my thumb all the way around to click it. I love the protruding tail switches on my quarks, fenix lights, eagletac, & olights because they are easier to activate with my thumb, and have enough resistance to not get tripped on in my pocket. I understand the difference between forward & revers clickies.

What I need to know -
Is the flush button HDS easy to click without repositioning your tumb? Does it get tripped on in your pocket very easily?
Does the HDS with the raised button get tripped on in your pocket very easily?

What do you prefer - the flush button switch or the raised button switch? Why?

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have the flush button.

It is NOT a forward clicky, btw. It is an electronic switch very similar to the ones used on alot of "power" buttons for electronics.

IT's pretty easy to use. I have average sized hands, and I don't have any problems with the length or width of the light. The switch has a tendency to fill up with air and "bubble up", which alot of people don't like because it prevents the light from tailstanding. I don't have a problem with it, because it's a bit more resistance to push against. A good thing when wearing gloves.

I haven't found mine on in my pocket. But, to prevent it from switching on and running down your battery, you can enable "button lock." Basically, when you're done with the light for a while, and are putting it away, you click it on and off three times, very quickly. From then on, any singular press of the switch results in a mid-level output 3x flash. IT's easy to enable and disable quickly, so no worries.

Apparently, from some pics int eh HDS thread, the clicky switch of the Rotary is set in a little deeper. So the flush switch (which is now apparently sealed to prevent filling up with air) may be a little harder to use single handedly.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have the flush button.

It is NOT a forward clicky, btw. It is an electronic switch very similar to the ones used on alot of "power" buttons for electronics.

Thanks John Galt. So is the switch more like the electronic switch that you find on a zebralight?

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
My next HDS will be a raised button. The flat button is more aesthetically appealing (in my opinion) but it doesn't work with how I use my lights. I have a tendency to activate the button on my lights with the middle of my thumb or the palm of my hand instead of the pad of my thumb. This doesn't work with the flush Clicky - you really do need to use the pad of your thumb. In the end, it means I spend more time repositioning the light in my hand than I do with my other lights, making it a little more frustrating to use.

As for the electronic switch, if you have a Zebralight, it feels exactly like that. If you don't have a ZL, think of what the buttons on your car radio feel like.

Mgizler

Enlightened
I have had two with Raised buttons and love them. I have never pulled one out of my pocket to find it on. I have recently purchased a new Clicky 170 with the Flush tail cap, But also ordered a raised one with it. I have never been fond of the flat tail cap because of the way I have to press while holding the light. But I will give this one a try.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
My next HDS will be a raised button. The flat button is more aesthetically appealing (in my opinion) but it doesn't work with how I use my lights. I have a tendency to activate the button on my lights with the middle of my thumb or the palm of my hand instead of the pad of my thumb. This doesn't work with the flush Clicky - you really do need to use the pad of your thumb. In the end, it means I spend more time repositioning the light in my hand than I do with my other lights, making it a little more frustrating to use.

As for the electronic switch, if you have a Zebralight, it feels exactly like that. If you don't have a ZL, think of what the buttons on your car radio feel like.

Wow, I didn't realize that the switch is like the zebralights, (and I have several of em.) This raises a question, when I carry my zebralights I have to carry them in the locked out position or they get switched on too easily in my pocket. Do you have to carry your HDS in the locked out position or is there enough resistance to prevent it from easily getting tripped on? What I mean regarding resistance is this - My current EDC is a quark AA with a forward clicky. It could get activated in my pocket if pressed hard enough, but it never does because there is enough resistance which prevents it from accidentally coming on.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first HDS was with the flushed switch. I thought it was nice, until I bought a custom high CRI clicky with the raised button. It is much easier to operate than the flushed switch. I then bought another 170 tactical and definitely it comes with the protruding switch. Never needed to tail stand the light so it doesn't bother me at all. My rotary that has yet to come is with the protruding switch too. I just find the flushed switch a little harder to operate and would sometimes result in fatigue developing on my hands when I played around with it too much.

Not sure about activation of the light in pocket though. I never leave my HDS hanging loose in the pocket. It is either clipped to the rear pants pocket with the bezel down clip, or kept in the HDS kydex holster on my belt. Can't help you here.

scottaw

Enlightened
I carried a flat cap novatac for 3 years, my hds is raised, and I'll never go back. So much easier to use. And I've never found it on in my pocket.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS lights allow the user to program the light to lockout by doing a triple click from off. And to disable lockout, just do a triple click before switching it on.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first HDS was with the flushed switch. I thought it was nice, until I bought a custom high CRI clicky with the raised button. It is much easier to operate than the flushed switch. I then bought another 170 tactical and definitely it comes with the protruding switch.

I carried a flat cap novatac for 3 years, my hds is raised, and I'll never go back. So much easier to use. And I've never found it on in my pocket.

My experiences EXACTLY - tactical switch is the way to go.

MUCH easier to operate and have never had my 170T come on by accident.

Mgizler

Enlightened
My experiences EXACTLY - tactical switch is the way to go.

MUCH easier to operate and have never had my 170T come on by accident.

I completely agree. I bought a Novatac with the flat switch and it sucked pretty bad. Which is why I ordered a raised tail cap for my new clicky

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I liked the flush switch just fine until it got cold and I started wearing gloves. I bought the raised switch and never went back. The feel of the raised switch is so much better (solid rather than a little squishy) and it's not like my Clicky could ever tailstand with the flushed button anyways.

But seriously, if you're about to sink $150+ on a light, spend the extra $19 and get both. Then you can decide which suits you better. Then, if you want, you can sell the other on the MP.

--flatline

carrot

Flashaholic
I have never accidentally activated my HDS. I also have the flush switch, which I have no problems activating. I use the knuckle of my thumb rather than the pad to activate it 90% of the time.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Zebralight comes on in the pocket because of where the button is positioned. I've never had a flush HDS come on in my pocket. I've had the zebralight come on several times, which is why I don't like them.

OCD

Enlightened
But seriously, if you're about to sink $150+ on a light, spend the extra $19 and get both. Then you can decide which suits you better. Then, if you want, you can sell the other on the MP.

--flatline

+1 :thumbsup:

That's exactly what I did. I ordered a new 200 clicky and got the extra button so I can use whichever switch I prefer.

onetrickpony

Enlightened
No experience with HDS, but every light I have that has a recessed or flat button flat out sucks. You just can't rely on the action to work when you expect it to. I say raised button all the way unless you have a really good reason for the alternative.

mrlysle

Enlightened
Well everyone else is putting their 2 cents in, soooo, I have the flush switch and really like it. I still use the programmed tailcap lockout, but there have been times when I forgot to, and I've never found my clicky on in my pocket. And it's ALWAYS with me in my right front jeans pocket. I have plenty of lights with raised switches and like them fine too. Whatever you end up buying, I'm sure you'll get used to it real quick! But as others have suggested, get both and see which you prefer. Hope you get yours soon! Good luck!

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
Is the flush button HDS easy to click without repositioning your tumb? Does it get tripped on in your pocket very easily?
Does the HDS with the raised button get tripped on in your pocket very easily?

What do you prefer - the flush button switch or the raised button switch? Why?

Yes, the flush button is easy to operate without having to reposition your thumb. At least it is with the original Clicky. I'm not sure if the flush on the new lights are recessed more. I've never had problems with accidental activation with my Clickies.

I prefer the flush because it can tailstand albeit unsteadily. Although, I would opt for the raised if I lived in a colder climate which necessitated the wearing of gloves.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks everyone for the well informed advice. I think I will order the HDS with the raised button, and also spend the extra $19 for the flush button switch.

Should I order directly from the HDS website or go through a dealer like Goinggear.com or do you have other recommendations? And, are they even in stock anywhere? Thanks again.